PDA

View Full Version : Tweeking a cue ?

Foxtrott
01-28-2004, 06:23 AM
I see tons on the boards about construction and playability and what makers is good and what not.I have seen alot of people refering to a cue maker as good or bad maker as to the feel of his cues.

I mean a maker has a basic format for their construction of a cue but I think people lack the feeback to the maker on the cue . What I do is make sure the maker is reputable .Check out a few of their cues and even though they may not have the perfect hit for me .

If I like the over all feel have the maker make one to my basic specs or desires . I Get the cue and shoot a while with it then write down your pros and cons .

I have had cues made by cue makers and used them for a few months and then contacted them with my list to see what can be done .

Most cue makers really do care about thier cues and how they preform with a certain player but most players lack giving the feedback to the maker on thier cues or do not want to tell the maker as fear to offend them .

I have found that usually the maker will have me ship the cue back and make the small adjustments for a minimal fee and when they dont ask for the fee I give it anyhoo .

I personally beleave that some cues must be "tweeked" so to speak to a certain player . This does minimal adjustment maybe to weight or shafts or tips . Now the cuemaker at this point knows what type of feel you like in a cue and in the future when making anoother cue for you has the basis of what you like . This is how I feel .

Why pay a thousand or 2 for a cue and not pay a couple hundred to get it "Tweeked" to your feel ? That just sounds crazy to me to have a cue that kinda feels good and pay thousands for it and not have it set up for you.I mean the cue maker does not know how you shoot or your stroke.

I had my cue collection walk off . I was stuck without a playing cue till I had a couple cues put together for me .
One of the makers had a cue that was a trade in or just something they ran into somehow that was close to my specifications .

They made and adjustment to the weight bolt and shipped me this to use while they remade my exact cue that walked and while I had a couple other makers either making me a cue or making adjustments to cues they made in the past .

I see so many people trade off cues and go through cues but really think this is because they have not had a cue "tweeked" for them nor contacte dthe cuemaker with any feedback.

If you have a cue you hit a ton with you will never get rid of it or if you do you will regret it .

I also feel and many will disagree that even when you buy a used the cue it should go back to the maker for any adjustments or a checkover . There is several good reasons for this but the basic is the maker knows their cue better than anyone else.

Heck I got a cue once that felt perfect and shipped it to the maker just to have my shafts cleaned and have the cue looked over.

So I guess what I am saying is how many people beleave that a cue needs "tweeked" for a person and what do the makers feel about this issue ?

JimS
01-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Wow Fox.....take a breath! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What I mean is that your posts are hard to read because you don't make paragraph breaks.

I don't care if the paragraph breaks are where they are supposed to be...like in good grammar. I just need a break so I can find my place. The lines start running together. Hit the enter key a couple times every 8 or so lines.

Foxtrott
01-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Sorry Jim I don't type in the words.................
.......................... I talk and they appear . .......................
I have a voice .................................. operated .............................. . S...........orry system .I ....................................

.................................. . will make it a ........................................ .

point ...........................................
To ................................ . Poperly space .
. ......................... .My words and
....................................... Paragraphs .

F........................... ox

=k=
01-28-2004, 08:04 AM
foxtrott, i think you have some valid points, for you. i don't think a lot of us have near as many cues as it sounds like you do. it has taken me several years to find the feel that fits me. imho feel can change as you adjust your style of play.. and skill goes up.
steel joints just don't have that feel, for me. and doubt they could tweak it to feel right. as for taper i think that would be fairly easy to match up, although i had that done locale rather than ship it back to maker. but mostly the balance is the magic for me. next cue i have made i will send them my favorite cue and make sure they can match it as close as they can..
certain wood also hits much different. (wish i didn't trial and error that one) cue turned out nice looking but hit like a log.
well enough rambing, i wish more cue makers at trade shows would have tables available to try their cues out, with differnt tips, i would pay a fee to try them out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
01-28-2004, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Foxtrott:</font><hr> Sorry Jim I don't type in the words.................
.......................... I talk and they appear . .......................
I have a voice .................................. operated .............................. . S...........orry system .I ....................................

.................................. . will make it a ........................................ .

point ...........................................
To ................................ . Poperly space .
. ......................... .My words and
....................................... Paragraphs .

F........................... ox
<hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Your too funny Foxtrott. LMAO Well, to be honest. I too have to use my mouse to stay on the right line. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~hey Jim, stick that in your bong and smoke it. ROTFLMAO

Foxtrott
01-28-2004, 09:21 AM
I really do not have alot of cues I would think .I just like a different cue set up a different way with different tips for a differet table and type game I play.I do work my cues thats a fact "all of them".
I play alot of games (some worse than better) but I still enjoy different snooker and billiards games and in turn with my regular games.
I may put alot out to have different cues set up different ways but I may be playing straight pool in the morning and end up on a snooker table 4 states over by nightfall playing golf.
I have only been to 1 cue show in my life and think yes that would be a great thing if the makers let you shoot with a couple cues but then I think how many different types of cues and weights and tapers they would need to have to satisfy people. You are correct it would be nice to hit with a cue to get a taste of the makers art.Save alot of driving time.
I did like that cue show I went to. I learned alot and met a bunch of people.I thought it was great to meet the maker face to face.You also see people you have not in years.I think the cue shows are a good thing and I need to set aside time for the next couple .

Popcorn
01-28-2004, 09:35 AM
The customers needs to know what they want before they order a cue. The trouble is, their want's change every time they pick up someone else's cue and make three balls. From order to delivery, a customers may change the specs a dozen times. One day it is a 58, next day it is a 58.25, then it goes from 19.7 to 19.9 and so on.

I love the cue I currently play with, but only after fussing with it quite a bit, including even taking the butt down a little. Changes like that are unrealistic to be doing to a cue for most players unless they are a cue maker. They need to have a real good idea what they like going in, because there is a limit to the changes that can and should be made to a finished cue. Like in any sport when it comes to equipment, pool players are continually looking for the elusive perfect cue.

I remember a few years ago a guy coming over to have a shaft turned down. He went from 13.5 to 12.5. After borrowing a shaft from someone, he said he could not believe how much better he played with the smaller shaft after giving it an honest try. The thing was, he had already won a world all around championship, how much better could he play? It never stops no matter who the player is. It turned out to be right for him though, his 9 ball game, that he was not really known for being a good 9 ball player, went up with the smaller shaft for some reason. I don't think his other games suffered at all and he still plays with the smaller shaft after playing with the fat shaft for half his life. No answers here, just some thoughts.

Foxtrott
01-28-2004, 09:35 AM
I am sorry I nerver proof read my posts . I just talked and clcked submit .Well won't happen again .I also see now that I am making my post way too long useing the voice com system . Its easy to get tied up into a subject you love I guess .I edited it . Thanks and sorry

Foxtrott
01-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Some good input Popcorn

Chris Cass
01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey Foxtrott,

Excellent post. Tweeking? You bet. Funny, I had a guy lastnight that just bought a used Chris Nitti cue off ebay. Looked great by the way. I asked him how was it working for him? He told me he was having a hardtime getting used to it. He told me that the hit wasn't what he was used to.

Well, I know him and what he's used to hitting with. He's had McDanial, South West, and a few others. If he was a beginner tweeking wouldn't be of much use. It's the experienced shooter that had played for awhile that can tell the differences, even as slight as the tip.

I asked what kind of tip was on there? He told me a LePro. I told him to change it out and replace it with a Moori H. That's what he's been shooting with for a yr that I know of. He agreed and said he didn't think about it. I then told him to adjust the weight to what he's used to playing with, if possible. Then he can make his judgements. I also told him that the best thing for him to do would be to order a cue by a cuemaker with his specs.

There's a lot of players that don't realize what there specs are. Tip &amp; ferrule combonation, shaft taper( 12.75 down 14" before the taper begins or whatever ), size of the butt ( 1.25" Vs 1.1/2" butt cap, joint style ( SS piloted, phenolic w/big pin radial or whatever ), weight, length and things of this nature.

Your post struck a cord with me. Offending, is the key word. When you have so much respect for someones work. The last thing on earth you'd want to do is offend them.

Regards,

C.C.~~great post..

Foxtrott
01-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks Chris . Your right on the experienced player issue . I should have posted that in the main post .

Cueless Joey
01-28-2004, 10:30 AM
I too have my shafts tweaked out.
Not the butt except for the wrap.
If I made cues, I wouldn't use weight bolts. That's how I like my cues too.
I know a number of players who like to have their cues tinkered b/c they are too anal. Drives my local maker nuts.
One guy requested to have a .2 of an ounce of weight put in his shaft. One guy wanted a bigger rubber bumper b/c he says it improves the hit. Ok.

JimS
01-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Much better. Thank you.

Rod
01-28-2004, 12:57 PM
CC knows tweaking! He's not exactly a production model himself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yep I tweak and have for years. It doesn't go back to the maker usually but I don't think its always necessary. Tip, shaft and possibly weight are the most common.

Rod

Pelican
01-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey Popcorn, ya know I think a lot of it goes back to the old "the grass is always greener" syndrome. Then again sometimes a small change will make a big difference, take breast implants for example /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Later, Pel

woody_968
01-28-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Then again sometimes a small change will make a big difference, take breast implants for example /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Later, Pel <hr /></blockquote>

Now THATS a tweek!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Foxtrott
01-30-2004, 07:00 AM
For me it's always just a shaft taper or a weight adjustment and usually a tip . I have my width of my
grip done under construction of the cue so thats not a worry .
I have taken the couple used cues I have and had the wrap area turned down for me along with the basics but I think that is due to tons of years of knowing what my personal preferences are . It may be considered by most over doing it.