PDA

View Full Version : How to get Pro Status ?

be1163
01-28-2004, 10:28 AM
What makes somebody a so called Pro ?

And I don't really need any smart ass answers like "They play good" or "lots of practice". I want to know how somebody goes about getting on to the Pro list?

PQQLK9
01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote be1163:</font><hr>

And I don't really need any smart ass answers <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

woody_968
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
I knew a girl once that said she went pro. I have know idea how she did it, cause every time I saw her she was just standing on a street corner.

be1163
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Well Sorry.......

But after seeing some of the comedians out there I didnt need my time wasted checking on every reply to my post just because the person thinks there funny !

All try not to be so blunt next time.

be1163
01-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Well I guess if she can make money at it then she is a pro!

Rich R.
01-28-2004, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote be1163:</font><hr> What makes somebody a so called Pro ?
<hr /></blockquote>
All you have to do, is join the UPA.
http://www.upatour.org/

Popcorn
01-28-2004, 10:48 AM
The simple answer is it means as it says, they are a professional, they make their living at it. It would be hard to name to many pool players that fall into that category. For most, it is an amateur sport and they have other jobs they depending on to pay their bills. In pool a pro is mostly a guy without a job and no money.

PQQLK9
01-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Seriously, I think the BCA says that if over half of your income is derived from Pool you are considered to be a Pro. I think to achive Pro touring status (WPBA) one has to qualify.

Popcorn
01-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Why do you ask, do you want to be classified as a pro? Just call yourself one, that is what most of them do, then they ask if they can borrow some money.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-28-2004, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote be1163:</font><hr>I don't really need any smart ass answers <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry can't help you /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would say for men, if you make a substantial portion of your income from playing pool you could be considered a pro. Could be tournaments, endorsements, gambling, or putting on trick shot exhibitions.

Same for women except they have an organization called the WPBA that clearly defines the different levels of "pro" status.

Kato
01-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Did you check the BCA website? They've got the pro list so I'm sure they'd also be the ones to tell you how to get on it.

PS. This is not the way to get great answers from this group. "And I don't really need any smart ass answers like "They play good" or "lots of practice".

Kato

UWPoolGod
01-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah a line like that just promotes "smart ass" remarks.

AS far as your question goes, the UPA website does list the Touring pros as well as other mentionables. If you consider yourself in their league then sign up the membership and see if you can enter their tourneys.

DoomCue
01-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I think you're thinking of the APA's definition of a pro (half of income derived from pool). I believe the BCA's definition of a pro is if you place in the money in a pro event, you're a pro (and you get on their infamous list). There are serious problems with both of those definitions. I know a guy who is a multi-millionaire, and there is no way he'd ever derive half of his income from pool. By the APA's definition, he'd never be a pro, even if he won every pro event. The BCA's definition sucks because an amateur who likes to play occasionally in pro events could place in the money and then be labeled a pro, which could prohibit him/her from entering amateur events. The way I see it, there's no way to define a pro male pool player because there's no real governing body for pro men's pool. There is for the women, which is why it's relatively easy to determine a women's touring pro, you have to qualify. There's no qualification process for the men for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, there is nothing to qualify for since there's no men's tour. Second, there's no governing body. Until those things are in place, the term pro as it applies to US men's pool has empty meaning.

-djb

woody_968
01-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Back in the day, when there was something that resembled a pro tour, didnt they have to win a triple A tournament or qualifier to be able to play in the pro events. Im not sure on this, but seems to ring a bell with me for some reason. There is one local player here that is/was pro, if I see him I will ask him about it.

P.S. Sorry for the smart !@$% comment earlier, I just couldnt resist.

01-28-2004, 02:27 PM

be1163
01-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Nope, no relation and as for the Customer Service oh I would say its been about 8 years. But look at that I received my answer's and made everybody start talking. I think that's pretty good.

jjinfla
01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Actually the smart ass answer that you don't want to hear "they play good" is the only criteria to be considered a pro. But not only play good, but good against top level players who ae commonly known as pros and they will certify you as a pro.

Then what? It gives you no special treatment because anyone can enter just about any tournament in the USA if they want to. All they need is the tournament fee.

I think that is what Cory Deuel did. He showed up and beat all the top players and low and behold they took him into their fraternity and bestowed the title of pro on him.

And that's the way it is in the world of men's pool.

Whereas in women's pool there is a qualification process that a woman has to complete before she can step up and play in the WPBA. But again, in order to complete this process, she has to play good.

Jake

DoomCue
01-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Not true. Corey Deuel earned his status as a pro by pissing off Earl so bad he quit in the finals of a Camel Pro Billiard Tour event (which was one of the factors leading to the demise of the CPBT). Of course, Corey had to earn his way into those events in the first place, which made him a pro already. However, I feel that if you can get under Earl's skin enough that he actually quits a match, you more than deserve the title of "Professional."

-djb

JimS
01-28-2004, 06:21 PM
How does that saying go?????? oh yeah tap...tap...tap /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
01-28-2004, 06:25 PM
quote "Of course, Corey had to earn his way into those events in the first place, which made him a pro already".

I can't speak for every event, but I played in a couple of the Camel events and all I had to do was pay an entry fee.

Qtec
01-28-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Corey Deuel earned his status as a pro by pissing off Earl so bad he quit in the finals of a Camel Pro Billiard Tour event <hr /></blockquote>

was that the match when Earl quit because he had to accept the rack as it was?

Q

DoomCue
01-29-2004, 03:25 PM
I believe Earl was upset over Corey's use of the soft break, not necessarily the rack itself. IIRC, Earl said something to the effect that it wasn't "manly" to use a soft break. He must like that one, 'cause he used that term again when he told Takahashi to "be a man" at the WPC a few years ago.

-djb

DoomCue
01-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Popcorn,

Did you get a tour card when you played in those events? Just curious....

-djb

Popcorn
01-29-2004, 05:18 PM
No, I just went over to the convention center to see what was going on and I was asked if I was playing. I said sure why not and paid, I think like a $400. or $500. entry fee. They were maybe supposed to give me something, but all I got was a Camel tour hat. This was right before the thing fell apart.

DoomCue
01-29-2004, 08:04 PM
I know for touring pros on the CPBT, they got little gold clips with the CPBT logo which could be put on their belts. I'm not sure what process they had to go through to get those gold clips, but I assumed they had to do something besides pay an entry fee for them. I know there was a point system in place for the CPBT, so I'm guessing the points had something to do with touring pro status. I could be wrong, though.... Maybe you got shafted....

-djb

Ken
01-29-2004, 09:52 PM
This was reported in RSB by Bob Jewett in Sept 2001:

"Back in October of 1999, Earl quit in the finals of the pro tournament in Milwaukee over the rack. It was reported that his complaint at that time was that the balls were racked half a ball too high."

KenCT

cueball1950
01-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi Doom. camel was going to quit the mens tour anyway. They only USED the mens tour to get in good with the APA. From the start all they wanted to do is become a part of the APA.But then they backed out early and Don Mackey sued Camel and got about 900k from his lawsuit and from the rumors going around he never paid any of the players the money they were owed. Alot of people, including myself, badmouthed the UPA for their strict contract with the players, but Mr Mackey had an exclusive contract just like it. hell, he had most of the players under contract with muicci cues. I can remember when there was a world 14.1 tournament in this country and all the "touring pro's" boycotted it cuz they ,(the organizers) would not pay The mens tour a sanctioning fee. Mike Zuglan won that tournament and Mr mackey blocked him from ever playing in any Men's tournaments until the demise of that tour. He could have played if he wanted to give up the cash...mike would never do that.....lol