PDA

View Full Version : Derby City Report

Wally_in_Cincy
01-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Drove down to Louisville for the Derby City Classic, arriving Friday noonish. It wasn't too crowded and since I had VIP tickets, the fellow at the door offered to find me a seat. I found my self sitting about 6 feet from Jeanette Lee and Mika Immonen playing a 9-ball match. I thought "Hey this is starting out well" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Mika won 7-4 IIRC. BTW I had no idea they were the same height. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Before the next round of matches a young, well-dressed feller came up to one of the tables and began cleaning the balls. Turns out it was John Schmidt preparing for his match against Max Eberle. He then warmed up by running a couple of racks of rotation. Quite enjoyable to watch. Max was looking dapper also in shined shoes, black slacks and a black Fury polo shirt. I cannot say the same for some of the other participants in the tourney.

Max beat John 7-6 in an extremely well-played match by both players. They were both very professional in victory and defeat. One thing that impressed me about Eberle was his demeanor. He seemed quite calm. I know he was enjoying just being there because earlier he was running around with a video camera filming the fans and players with a big grin on his face. Unfortunately Max lost his next match to Takanaka due to coming up dry on the break a few times.

Later on Grady was searching for backers for a $2000 per man ring game. After watching Max play I wanted to put $1000 on him. Unfortunately I only had $100 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Later on I wandered across the arena to watch Earl Strickland play some young feller who will remain nameless. I had never seen Earl play in person. Being down 2-1 Mr. Strickland immediately went into his victimization mode, talking to the rail. "I'm not getting no rolls this tournament, maybe I'll get some next tournament"... "Did you see that? Did you see that? I can't believe that. I bet he couldn't do that again" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. It was quite amusing. He must have finally gotten some rolls because he won 7-4 IIRC.

After the match Earl was going on and on saying "He called me a lying faggot. Can you believe that? He's only half-right though. I'm not a faggot" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think he was talking about his opponent but I wasn't sure.

Meanwhile Mr. Charlie Williams continued his lengthy match at the next table. Get down on the shot, get up, get down, get up,get down, holy cow I thought I was at a Catholic wedding.

There's more but this is lengthy enough for now.

PQQLK9
01-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the insight Wally. By the way you had $90.00 more than me ,that's why I watched on the net.

Keith Talent
01-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Entertaining stuff. So will further installments of your account be available on pay per view? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
01-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Glad you had fun Wally. Did you walk around a bit, check out any booths or "side matches". Did you get that game with Efren you wanted? You know, the one where you give up the 7 and the last 3 for 25K? Just checking.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 09:35 AM
I bought an official DCC poster and got autographs from several players. Most included their nicknames with their signature.

Dennis "The Bear" Coulter

Jeanette Lee "The Black Widow" (She was extremely gracious to the fans. After she was eliminated she went to her booth and signed autographs and posed for pictures for over an hour.)

Jim Wych (quite the witty fellow)

Nesli O'hare (still gorgeous)

Grady Matthews
(He overheard me say I was Wally from Cincy. He said "You post on the internet don't you"
I said "Yeah, more than I should and never anything worthwhile."
He said "I don't know about that. I've never seen you write anything detrimental to the sport"
I said "Thanks. I'm much better since I quit posting under the influence"
He was real nice. I'm now an official Grady fan.)

Danny Basavitch "Kid Delicious" (I jokingly told him "I'll let you sign this only if you sign it "Kid Delicious". He laughed. He's a jolly fellow.)

Keith McCready (He didn't recognize my name but RailbirdJAM did. He did, however let me buy him a beer. I bought him another later and took it over to the table where he and another guy were goofing around with different shots. He said "Hey you're just in time. I just ran dry". Keith was funny and RailbirdJAM was very sweet.

Shawn Putnam

Jimmy Wetch (Nice guy, shot like a champ. I'm glad he started playing again)

Troy Frank (he has the best handwriting of all)

Sarah Rousey

Mika Immonen "Iceman"

John Brumback (Super nice guy.)

Mike Lebron

Jose "Amang" Parica

Efren "Bata" Reyes

Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton

Max Eberle

Johnny Archer (Much better looking in person than he is his photos. I mentioned that in the chat room and warren said I was gay /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Kato
01-29-2004, 10:04 AM
I thought you said you just got a few signatures?

Kato

UWPoolGod
01-29-2004, 10:23 AM
I know...a few?...you must have been running from room to room, tackling them and telling then you're not going to get off of em until they sign the poster.

BTW- I think Warren is right /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Wally,

Now, I guess next year is already scheduled? Maybe you could share your autographs with us at the US Open? Is that on your schedule for this year?

Miss my Cincy friends.. but not the cold (freezing) weather it was in the high 20s for the DCC.. but as usual it was all indoors.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I know...a few?...you must have been running from room to room, tackling them and telling then you're not going to get off of em until they sign the poster.

<font color="blue"> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Not really. The place is crawling with champions. Whenever I happened to see someone who was not engaged in a converstaion and not preparing for a match I simply asked them. Most were glad to oblige. The Iceman was a little icy but other than that everybody was cool. </font color>

BTW- I think Warren is right /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">After all those Anna K pics I found for you guys how can you say that /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

http://www.twistedfans.com/images/annano2.jpg </font color>

I forgot Corey Deuel. I mentioned his awesome shot in the Mosconi Cup. He grinned like the cat that ate the canary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

Now, I guess next year is already scheduled? Maybe you could share your autographs with us at the US Open? Is that on your schedule for this year?

<hr /></blockquote>

Don't know yet. I think the pool gods don't want me to go to pool tournaments. First there was the stupid hurricane that kept me from going to the Open. Then I had trouble with my truck last week and I thought I was going to miss DCC. Then I almost didn't make it home due to the ice/snow storm.

Kato
01-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Whoa..............really nice Anna pic /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 11:30 AM
http://www.tam.co.il/11_7_2003/images/kournikova.jpg

Kato
01-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Wally, you can't start making excuses 8 months out. I'm sure your truck will work fine and we won't get hit by another hurricane.

It's times like this you have to weigh risk/reward and realize the rewards are far greater, for instance.

Looking at Wendy's............eyes. Such a nice shade of brown, er blue, er I mean hazel /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hanging out and drinking beer with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Racking for Sactown Tommy (you know, like old times) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CCB III /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Cass's /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great Pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The CCB'ers live in person

The CCB dinner

Sweating Keith, Grady, Chris Cass, and Steve Lipsky

The risks: You might be a little tired when you get home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~what do you have to say about that Wallace?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
Racking for Sactown Tommy (you know, like old times) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">LOL ain't that the truth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

CCB III /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<font color="blue">Do I have to buy next year's model t-shirt? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Kato~~~what do you have to say about that Wallace?

<font color="blue">We'll see /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ask me again in June </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

UWPoolGod
01-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Awwee come on...you know I'm just kiddin. No homosexual male would have that many nice Anna pics, unless you were just checking out her swimsuit.

Todd &lt;--- doesn't know what WAlly looks like...but still doesn't want to see him in a swimsuit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr>Todd &lt;--- doesn't know what WAlly looks like...but still doesn't want to see him in a swimsuit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No. You don't. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 12:33 PM
After the matches were done on Friday night I saw about a dozen railbirds gathering like a flock of hungry starlings around a table in the arena. Word quickly spread that Alex. P. and John Schmidt were preparing to play a 14.1 match to 300 for a rumored 5 large. At the time I did not know that the same 2 had played earlier in the week with JS taking home the gelt. I wanted to put my $100 on Schmidt, knowing of his 14.1 prowess. One feller was waving some lettuce, saying "who wants Alex?". He may have gotten a few takers but there was no stampede in his direction.

As the match progressed you could tell JS was the more experienced 14.1 player. He led at one point 93-33. He continued to sink balls until he was on a run of 111. He then sank his break ball and somehow got snookered. Somewhere along the way Alex learned how to play (Actually I imagine he has played plenty of 14.1 but probably not nearly as much as John.). Alex began to chip away at John's lead, running 30's, 40's, and 50's.

What happened after that I can only report what I heard the next day because by that time it was about 3 am and my mind had become a bit...uh...fuzzy. I went back to my room before it ended. I heard the similar stories the next day from different people. Apparently John was down to just needing a few balls when he missed a makeable shot. Alex won 300-298.

SRpool
01-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Wally, it was very nice to meet you. I'm sorry we didn't really get to talk much. Maybe at the next tournament.

take care,
Sarah

Eric.
01-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Hay Waallay...

Sounds like you had a good time. Like your experience, everyone I talk to loves/loved the Derby. I think it's a great format, the modern day Johnson City.

On a side note, I have to say kudos to Greg Sullivan/Diamond for the dedication and perseverance to stick with it year after year(especially the early years). Great job! I like the St. Louis Louis award where the fan favorite/most entertaing player gets a lifetime comp to come back play. Greg, I know you're listening and I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Great job.

Eric &gt;whose going next year?

Voodoo Daddy
01-29-2004, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>Racking for Sactown Tommy (you know, like old times) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I wanna watch that....BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Voodoo~~~wonders if I still have to give SacTown 10-7 after my long hiatus?

Tom_In_Cincy
01-29-2004, 01:06 PM
10-7...VooDoo...? Did you offer that... ????

I must be getting old.. I would have jumped at that spot..

BTW,

Wally is better than he leads everyone to believe (like all true players do) How many of you can run 20+ balls in 14.1?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Hay Waallay...

<font color="blue">Blud? Is that you? LOL </font color>

..I like the St. Louis Louis award where the fan favorite/most entertaing player gets a lifetime comp to come back play. ...

<font color="blue">I was unaware of that. From what I saw there Efren was far and away the fan favorite. I mean everybody loves that guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> Wally, it was very nice to meet you.

<font color="blue">Greetings Sarah. I watched your match with Chohan. All I could think was "Man, that guy is big enough to make 3 of Sarah" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

I'm sorry we didn't really get to talk much.

<font color="blue">I couldn't get past Grady to talk to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

In case anybody wonders, Sarah is just as cute in person as she is in her pictures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RedHell
01-29-2004, 01:21 PM
OK, what picture ?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I think I watched Efren play five 9-ball matches. He was slaying people. Takanaka had beaten Max Eberle and Danny Harriman in his last 2 matches when he met Efren. Efren cooled him down quick to the tune of 7-2.

I think Efren's next match was the tv match with Wetch. The one where he shot 1.000
Efren won the lag by about 1/4". He broke and ran 5 racks. Maybe there was a 9-ball billiard thrown in there somewhere.

Efren came up dry on the 6th break. Wetch had a makeable kick on the 1-ball but chose to play safe. Efren could see a sliver of the 1 and played a lock-up safe on Wetch, sending the cueball 3 rails to jail.

Wetch fouled. Efren ran out that one and the next one. Shot 1.000 according to accu-stats.

I felt bad for Wetch. He had a bye the previous round and had been practicing for 2 or 3 hours.

I missed most of Efren's first match against Soquet. I almost can't stand to watch Ralf play he's so deliberate. I finally got to see Efren miss a ball in their second match. When he missed a 5-ball I realized that was the first ball he had missed in over 30 games /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Voodoo Daddy
01-29-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> 10-7...VooDoo...? Did you offer that... ????

NO...you told a mutual friend you would jump on that spot...HAHAHAHAHA

How many of you can run 20+ balls in 14.1?

Raises hand and has witness's on CCB<hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo~~~will not spot TOM due to recent relocation to ONE POCKET world, I will accept 9-6 and the smash!!

Kato
01-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Has run 20+ several times. All luck I assure you.

Kato

hondo
01-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Wally, speaking os sidematches, I heard an obscure
woman player beat John Mataya-Jimmy's brother?-
out of 30,000 but only got to keep 400 after
backers' cuts. Anybody see that one.

hondo
01-29-2004, 02:17 PM
I just found out it was Larry Nevel's girlfriend.

buckshot
01-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey Wally,
Very enjoyable replay of your DCC experience - thank you. I know Max from his residence in the DC area before he moved to Ca. When last we talked, he was enjoying the Hollywood sciene doing pool consulting on movie sets. Max is good for our game.

I also have met Jeanette Lee and as you say, she is very gracious. Looks and gracious are rare together.

As I read through your's and the others comments here, I am again reminded of why we are so passionate about this game. I wish we could come up with a viable TV venue that would attract the masses and grow our game. I'd like to see pool gain the same interest as tennis or golf, as is the case in England (Snooke) which is aired weekly for several hours, typically on saturday afternoon.

Did they have the Ring Game? If so, who won? This large-buyin ring game has a lot of potential if I understand it. Certainly better for backers. Any thouhts ??

Again, thanks

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 02:55 PM
I watched Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant beat Jeanette Lee Friday night. 7-4 I think. He made some wisecracks that were pretty funny.

When he was on his last 9-ball, a difficult but very makeable cut shot, he laid his cue on the table and took a bathroom break. Jeanette says "Oh come on let's get this over with".

He came back 5 minutes later and nailed the shot. I don't what he was trying to do but I thought it was sort of rude. He knew damn well he was could make the shot.
-------------
Met some CCBers.

Chris Alvey recognized me from his trip to Cincy last year.

Stan Shuffet is a great guy and so is Landon. Landon loves to play. He carried his case everywhere with him. Damn thing was darn near as big as him /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Met Brady. He looked like he was having a good time.

Sorry if I forgot anybody.
---------------------
Corey was checking out the babes. Well, so was I but at least has an actual chance with one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
---------------------
Cuemaker Jimmy Reeves had a booth there. Nice cues at a reasonable price. He had a cocobolo plain jane for 325 which looked a lot like TomCincy's Omen. Fortunately for me somebody bought it or I would have been 325 poorer right now.
-------------------
If you've never seen the accu-stats set-up you can't imagine how hot it is under those lights and with all those people gathered around. I don't see how those guys can play.

----------------------
Then Sunday I drove home in a freakin' ice storm.

That's about it I think.

Sally
01-29-2004, 06:13 PM
We missed you in the bar on Saturday evening. What happened?

NH_Steve
01-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Sorry I missed you Wally -- I was there for most of the One Pocket tourney, and met only a couple of CCB posters – including Sarah R, who is a pretty good shooter and friendly too -- and Onepocketghost, who turned out to be a pretty sporty One Pocket player in real life. I’m not going to blow his cover /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif , but he did finish pretty respectably out of the 300 or so One Pocket entries. It is very difficult to sleep at the DCC ‘cuz there is just so much going on…

The best pool I saw was definitely watching Efren Reyes. After watching Efren for quite a few hours over the course of the week, I noticed that he seems to approach the table differently from other players (I’m not always real quick on the uptake /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Watching him look over the table when he is getting ready to shoot, he moves around a lot less than most players – often just standing still in one spot for quite a while, then maybe moving to another side of the table and standing there for a while; only rarely, and ever so briefly, does he bend down to take a closer look at anything. I wonder if it isn’t because he ‘thinks’ about the game differently than other players – almost as if while others are thinking hard solely with the cognitive part of their brain, Efren is using whole other parts of his brain to ‘feel’ out his options in his own primal ‘pool language’.

By the way, Efren was being shadowed by a reporter from the NY Times supposedly, supposedly doing some kind of feature on 'The Magician'.

I even had a chance to watch Efren play a little chess with Corey Deuell (with Corey hitting up Efren for a spot of rook -- naturally /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), and I saw that same kind of focus playing chess as he played out potential moves in his mind, before he made his actual move on the board. No wonder he likes chess – and One Pocket!

One night Efren and Cliff Joyner matched up in a race to eight for a bundle, with Efren giving Cliff 8-7. They battled pretty evenly until about 6-6, when Efren pulled away for the win. Efren made a sweet long cross corner bank with just barely enough legs to reach his pocket for the final ball to close out the set. Naturally even if he had missed, he laid the cue ball right up on the head rail. The shot was something like this:

START(
%Cn8D8%Gq1Y4%Jr7X7%Or5D1%Pp2D1%QA8A9%RA5[4%UE3W1%Vn5C5%W]9Z7
%Xn3E1%Yr8I9%Zk0C3%[D5D4%\\8[1%eA4`9%f3%g7%_G1Z7%`E2X9%aD3W9
%bj2C9%cX9O8%dG9[3
)END

Here’s an old Efren Reyes story told to me by a player by the name of Willie Flieson from Chicago: “When Efren first came through Chicago, I made a Rotation game with him, and I really thought I had him. If at any time in the game, Efren failed to hit the lowest ball on the table, I won; if at any time I asked Efren what pocket he made any ball, if he couldn’t name the pocket, I won. And, I only had to get 30 points. At that time, I was a pretty good player, but I couldn’t win. Whenever Efren couldn’t hit a ball directly, he wouldn’t kick at it, he’d masse around the balls to hit it. I didn’t have a chance.”

By the way, Efren consistently warmed up with a little casual rotation, and at one point he easily ran off a couple of racks and then walked away for his match without a miss. The consensus opinion seemed to be that the Philipine players did not play either one Pocket or Banks before they invaded over here.

The Chicago players also talked about how Efren wasn’t a great banker when he first came through Chicago – many players were beating him at banks. But after he stayed around a while, he had learned enough that he could hold his own, and the rest, as they say, is history /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Other players talked about how when Efren first came to Philly, the top players were giving him something like 10-8 and beating him, but after just a few days the handicaps reversed, with Efren giving them 10-8.

Of course if you got tired of watching Efren, there were a dozed or so pretty good match ups going on either in the tournament room or the ‘practice room’ at all hours of the day or night (and I do mean all hours). The most entertaining ‘action’ that I saw was the after hours match up between up and coming young women player Rachel Abbink and big time gambler John Mataya.

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/2003vikingfinale/PB205588.jpg
(photo of Larry Neville and Rachel Abbink by Diana Hoppe pic'd from AZBilliards site)

It started in the practice room (aka ‘action room’ J ) with Grady appearing to back Rachel against Mataya in One Pocket for a little something a game. Strictly no coaching was allowed for either player, and Rachel claimed not to know how to play One Pocket – in fact she certainly demonstrated shooting the wrong shot many times. Mataya looked like he had a better understanding of One Pocket, but was fully capable of missing even the easiest of shots – simply not that strong a player. Rachel on the other hand, looks like one of the real up and coming straight shooters of the women’s regional tours, and apparently she’s been known to gamble a little bit. (Rumor has it that she was the girlfriend of Larry Neville for a while – which of course could acquaint her with just a little One Pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif .)

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/2003vikingfinale/PB205588.jpg

This went on for a while with a few guys getting into side action. Grady got a little tense about all the side action cutting into his own angle with Rachel – and rightfully so – it was certainly more than a little over the top…

Grady had to leave the room for one game, and let ‘Teddy the Greek’ from Detroit take over with Rachel. Rachel won the last game, but then as the woofing picked up Teddy musta got a bit distracted, ‘cuz he got a little unclear on whether or not they never got paid for the last game. Then there was talk of Rachel giving Mataya a small spot, then for a bit it looked like it was all over, but…

But then all of a sudden Mataya’s machismo seemed to kick in and the bet suddenly shot up, with Grady and Rachel putting up significantly more cash at 7-5 on the money but playing Mataya even in the ball count in race to four games. (Now all of this took nearly an hour to play out, mind you, and the entertainment quality of the woofing and arguing and negotiating was pretty incredible – I’m sorry, you really had to be there.) Mataya egged on all the sweaters to put their money up, but they’ve ‘gotta bet something’. Anyone who wanted to get in on the action had to put up a pretty substantial minimum – yet sweaters were falling all over each other to rush to get in on the action, putting up quite a bit at a whack – money was dropping from everywhere onto the table, got fanned out and counted, then noted on a piece of paper and then fanned out and counted and more, and more. Mataya had on those deep pocketed style trousers with a rather large stack of bills and just kept peeling them off to all takers. Absolutely nobody wanted to ‘bet on the guy’ – Even after Mataya was done covering everything, newcomers still rushed into the room waving money shouting ‘anybody like the guy’ in a desperate bid to get in on the action. Famed backer and high roller Harry Plattis drew Mataya aside for a little quiet consultation and…and…maybe a piece of the action or whatever… George Middleditch did a great job keeping all the potential flare-ups on the civil side and keeping the whole scene flowing along… Teddy the Greek counted the money quite a few times to figure out if he got paid for the one game when Grady had stepped out of the room /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Apparently the guys from the BCn got tipped to what was happening because after the first game of the set, Grady asked all the principles and the 50-100 sweators if they’d be agreeable to move to the TV table and go liveon the internet. With the party’s agreement, all of a sudden the whole crowd surged out of the little ‘practice room’ and down the long vendor’s hall toward the tournament room and the TV bleachers. As the crowd rushed down the hallway they gathered more sweaters from the innocent bystanders that they passed -- wondering what all the excitement was about, and getting swept right along. By the time the crowd reached the bleachers it was easily a couple of hundred strong!

Rachel took her place under the lights right away, but John had to make a little detour up to his room to change into his full regalia – sporty red sweater and huge gold cross hanging from a chain around his neck. John’s brother Jim ‘Pretty Boy Floyd’ Mataya took a ringside seat in the tv table ‘pit’, hollering to anyone who would listen about how he hasn’t played pool for thirty years and everyone is still afraid of him. Of course when five or ten guys in the bleachers jumped up to challenge him, he’d say ‘ya gotta shoot with the limb’, meaning one handed, or ‘you gonna go dig up Mosconi or Ralph Greenleaf to play me, I havent’ shot since the Civil War’…and on and on…) He was only allowed to talk during his brother’s innings – so he took full advantage when he could /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harry Plattis and Bert Kinnister took over the Accu-Stats booth (Could you guys who signed up for the BCn hear their commentary? We couldn’t in the tourney room, and I would have loved to hear them – they clearly were having a good time up there.)

After Rachel won the first game, John came alive and won the next two, and all the side action sweaters sure did appear to start to seriously sweat as it looked like John was coming off the stall /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Grady – who acted as both the MC and ref for the big race to four games – was trying real hard not to break the no coaching rule as it became pretty apparent that Rachel wasn’t too sure of herself at A Pocket Apiece. Some of the sweaters were having an even harder time keeping their mouths shut, although they had considerably less into the game than Grady did.

And then… and then… I crashed /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Like I said, you had to be there…and you’re really cheating yourself if you don’t go some year yourself…

(Apparently Rachel came back to win the big set later that morning – myself, I had a plane to catch /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) Post script – John Mataya must have had enough excitement himself, too, since I spotted him in the airport the next day…

NH_Steve -&gt; please note I’m only reporting what I think I remember from what I thought I saw – which could be all wrong, and I certainly apologize if I’ve offended anyone with any misrepresentation cuzza my fuzzies…

PQQLK9
01-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks Steve, Really enjoyable reading.

Kato
01-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the report Steve. I'm still kicking myself for not watching that match. Musta been something.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
01-30-2004, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr>
.....And then… and then… I crashed /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif .....

NH_Steve -&gt; please note I’m only reporting what I think I remember from what I thought I saw – which could be all wrong, and I certainly apologize if I’ve offended anyone with any misrepresentation cuzza my fuzzies…

<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I know the feeling Steve, I know the feeling.

Nice report. Grady was always working something wasn't he /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-30-2004, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sally:</font><hr> We missed you in the bar on Saturday evening. What happened? <hr /></blockquote>

There was a bar? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After the final I watched Schmidt playing 14.1 against some sack of potatoes for a while and then went on back to my room.

Nice meeting you. Please see my post under "Thank you Inside Pool" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SRpool
01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Great report Steve. You took in alot. It's truly amazing that you remembered everything with the lack of sleep. It was nice meeting you and playing one pocket with you. I apologize for my lack of knowledge and only having firepower. We will have to have a rematch next year /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally, I'm sorry you had to watch such a horrible display during that match with Tony Chohan. I wasn't feeling so hot. Don't worry, I can make 3 balls in a row even though it looked as if I can't. And thanks for the compliment. We will eventually get a chance to talk. You caught Grady right in the middle of saying something and then I had to play a match right away.

Take care and thanks for the reports.
Sarah