PDA

View Full Version : heated billiard table

justbrake
01-28-2004, 03:40 PM
I just came back from a pool room where I had played not to offen in and never seen anybody playing billiads and I asked the manager if I could use the billiard table and he said yea and I ask why is it always covered up and he said all billiard tables are heated now! the other pool rooms that I visit don't have any and I haven't shot billiards since my teens , so is this true that all billiard tables are heated now!

Fred Agnir
01-28-2004, 03:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I just came back from a pool room where I had played not to offen in and never seen anybody playing billiads and I asked the manager if I could use the billiard table and he said yea and I ask why is it always covered up and he said all billiard tables are heated now! the other pool rooms that I visit don't have any and I haven't shot billiards since my teens , so is this true that all billiard tables are heated now! <hr /></blockquote>No, it's not true. But, IMO, it should be. Many are indeed heated. But not all.

Fred &lt;~~~ find the period, man.

Cueless Joey
01-28-2004, 03:48 PM
The Verhoeven tables my friends play on are all heated.
BILLIARD tables not pool though.

nAz
01-28-2004, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The Verhoeven tables my friends play on are all heated.
BILLIARD tables not pool though. <hr /></blockquote>

Verhoeven are sweet, balls just keep going and going but man they are so expensive, is there a luxury tax on them?

Bob_Jewett
01-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Tournament carom tables are required by the rules to be heated and to have slate at least 2 inches thick. Old US carom tables (usually Brunswick) are usually not heated except when the owner has installed a heating system. I believe that some snooker tables are heated also.

Heating removes a lot of the variation in how the cue ball reacts on the cloth and off the cushions. You could argue that those factors are more important at carom billiards than at pool, or you could argue that pool players just haven't become as picky as carom players.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy (http://www.sfbilliards.com)