PDA

View Full Version : Re: Why Keep your Eye on the O.B.

sledhamrbrk
01-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Hot Topic Here. It has already been mentioned here,but I will second the motion. The eye shift pattern from c.b. on forward stroke shifting to o.b. on back stroke is the most common method used by the majority of professional players.

There are also top players who do not make a concious effort to maintain certain eye shift patterns as it interupts thier stroke timing.They just see the whole shot.Most of these players definitely have thier eyes fixed on the object ball on thier forward stroke.(These players also have implicit faith in thier stroke,and it's correctness)

Many top players have shots "burned into thier visual memory" and make adjustments in accordance with varying tip positions.They just know and see the shot.Few of them want to attempt paper thin cut shots with out having thier eye on the O.B. when they are on their forward stroke.

As you are stroking the cue you are grooving the path that the cue will travel down.It would be highly difficult to determine if you tip is going to be delivered to a specific point on the cue ball on the back stroke.Therefore it is checked on the forward stroke.Sighting to the c.b.on the forward stroke helps ensure that your tip is pointed precisely to an already predetermined tip position.

Sighting to the o.b. gives you a specific target or point of aim reference.This process allows for a "check point so to speak as you are stroking the cue.

There are a couple hidden agendas that will occur by using this eye shift pattern. 1-you will slow your stoke down or you will become dizzy ! 2- a pause and a smoother transition from back to forward normally will occur.

There are certain shots it is more beneficial to only look at the c.b. These are jump shots,masse shots(obviously)and certain rail shots.When exercising these shots with this sighting process keep in mind,you are being limited to only be able to part of the shot and not the whole shot.In this event body and cue alignment are much more critical.

B.T.W.Rapid\quick\jerky exchange from back to forward is responsible for many more missed shots than faulty sighting process is.

Many players out there are seeking some secret aming system supposedly used by the pros.Bottom line is precisely what Scott Lee addresses greater care in the your stroke will benefit you much more than trying to figure out some funky aiming system.

"If you swing the cue well enough, in time ,you will see the shot".

ladybilliards
01-28-2004, 06:15 PM
I make more balls when I keep my eye on the object ball, however, I have to be very aware of my tip because I have fouled in the past by getting to close to the cue ball. When I first started playing, I kept my eye on the o.b. but fouled a lot so I started looking back and forth but started missing more. Now I'm training my eyes to stay on the ob but looking at the cue ball one time and then while practice stroking I'm looking at the o.b. Make sense?

lb

stlshooter
01-30-2004, 07:54 AM
I submit from my experience that either way is good but doing it the exact same way every time is the real answer. Most of the pro's do look at the object ball last and I also follow their lead but have seen this done well the opposite way, therefore consistency is the key.