PDA

View Full Version : "Phoenix" Pool Cue

krbsailing
01-28-2004, 07:54 PM
I am looking at a pool cue referred to as a "Phoenix" cue!?

It has a black butt with a white logo of a white Phoenix Bird emblem with white and black rectangular inlays with 4 points and a black and white irish linen wrap.

I can't find any info about the cue on the web. The cue may have been made by Adams in the 70's!?

Any info would be appreciated. <font color="blue"> </font color>

ted harris
01-28-2004, 09:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote krbsailing:</font><hr> I am looking at a pool cue referred to as a "Phoenix" cue!?

It has a black butt with a white logo of a white Phoenix Bird emblem with white and black rectangular inlays with 4 points and a black and white irish linen wrap.
Any info would be appreciated. <font color="blue"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
The cue was made by Andy Scott and Matt Davidow in 2001 and 2002 in Pheonix, AZ. They are now out of business.

Cueless Joey
01-29-2004, 02:06 AM
I saw some of those cues at the LA Expo two years ago.
They looked like they were made out of Prather blanks.
Even the checkered rings looked like Prather-made.

krbsailing
01-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Ted Harris thought that Andy Scott and Matt Davidow from Phoenix may have made this cue in 2001 or 2002. They are no longer in business -- not sure if that's good or bad....the cue plays great. Just interested in knowing more about it's origin. Thanks!

Cueless Joey
01-29-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote krbsailing:</font><hr> Ted Harris thought that Andy Scott and Matt Davidow from Phoenix may have made this cue in 2001 or 2002. They are no longer in business -- not sure if that's good or bad....the cue plays great. Just interested in knowing more about it's origin. Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, they might have "made" them or assembled them.
The points and the checkers looks very Prather-like to me. A friend of mine assembled Prather components and it looked exactly like the Phoenix cues. They used to have a website, they showed nothing about their cues' construction. They were gone as fast as they appeared. They even had an article about them on Inside Pool.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I saw some of those cues at the LA Expo two years ago....<hr /></blockquote>

Phoenix sponsored Roger Griffis in that 8-ball tournament... FWIW

tateuts
01-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Phoenix cues were being sold on E-Bay after they closed down. The "street" price was about $175 to $225 for a plain forearm cue and from $225 to about $300 for one with points. They were mostly pretty simple looking cues. On the Hill was selling them too - he said they had similar dimensions and feel to an Olivier.

Chris

ted harris
01-29-2004, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote krbsailing:</font><hr> Ted Harris thought that Andy Scott and Matt Davidow from Phoenix may have made this cue in 2001 or 2002. They are no longer in business -- not sure if that's good or bad....the cue plays great. Just interested in knowing more about it's origin. Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, they might have "made" them or assembled them.
The points and the checkers looks very Prather-like to me. A friend of mine assembled Prather components and it looked exactly like the Phoenix cues. They used to have a website, they showed nothing about their cues' construction. They were gone as fast as they appeared. They even had an article about them on Inside Pool. <hr /></blockquote>
No Prather blanks. Everything made right in the Pheonix shop. They made several hundred cues, though not sure how many. If you want to see the pricing structure, check out
Indy Q Shop

ted harris
01-29-2004, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> My bad Ted.
I still wonder how anyone can make a "custom" cue with 4 points and checkers for $350.
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
That's why they are no longer in business. Producing cues at those prices did not leave much breathing room,

Cueless Joey
01-29-2004, 04:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> My bad Ted.
I still wonder how anyone can make a "custom" cue with 4 points and checkers for $350.
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
That's why they are no longer in business. Producing cues at those prices did not leave much breathing room, <hr /></blockquote>
Andy was givin' em away at the Expo. I could swear they looked like Prather parts. There are already several cuemakers in Arizona to boot. Robinson, Sierra and formerly Bill Hagan. Bill Hagan is nowhere to be found these days.
He made great playing cues.