PDA

View Full Version : archer wins chelmsford

cueball1950
04-22-2002, 06:30 AM
johnny archer wins chelmsford.. what a weekend. looks like the cream rose to the top this weekend..archer , parica rodney morris and rempe.. not to bad a top 4 in any tournament. congratulations to joe tucker for running such a smooth tournament and to mike zuglan and country club for putting on such a great tournament.........mike

Retardo
04-22-2002, 06:41 AM
Yes I think one savvy CCB'r predicted an Archer win if u look back at that thread although 2nd,3rd, and 4th place were wrong.

Ken
04-22-2002, 07:11 AM
Were you there Sunday Mike? I asked Zuglan to point you out and he said he saw you only on Sat. I left early. Archer was putting me to sleep. The only thing worse than a Charlie Williams match is a Williams-Archer match. That match went nearly an hour longer than it should have. I knew I couldn't stand another three Archer matches. Those matches should have been tape recorded and then edited to fit the allotted time space.

There's no doubt that Archer uses the contact point aiming system. He puts the cue tip on the contact point for most shots just like a beginner. I apologize in advance to all Archer fans. He's a great player. I just don't have the endurance I once had. It was far more interesting to watch McCready playing banks (and even getting a ball spot).
Ken in CT

Rich R.
04-22-2002, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> Archer was putting me to sleep. The only thing worse than a Charlie Williams match is a Williams-Archer match. <hr></blockquote>
Ken, I couldn't agree with you more. At the Capital City Classic I suffered through a Williams-Archer match that seemed to take for ever. Williams was bad, but Archer was unbelievable. Given a short, straight in shot, Archer would get down on the shot and get back up about ten times, in addition to walking around the table, picking lint off the table (when there was no lint) and a whole relm of other nonsense. I just wanted to scream,"SHOOT THE F#*&amp;@%N' BALL ALREADY".
Archer fans, please do not take offense. He is a great player and he does not miss much, but IMHO he is no fun to watch. Rich R.

PoolFan
04-22-2002, 08:26 AM
What has happened to Archer? Why is he playing so slow? He wasn't like this before when he was winning all the time.

For the past couple of months, I've been reading about how boring it is to watch him play. I'm just curious as to why his style of play has changed. Is it due to a lack of confidence in his play?

Just wondering!

Kato
04-22-2002, 09:05 AM
I've been wondering the same thing for a while myself now.

Kato

John in NH
04-22-2002, 09:24 AM
Mike,

I agree it was a great tournament. Archer was amazing the way he came from behind to beat Williams, Strickland. Archer had an outstanding tournament and deserved to win.

Other great matches were Zuglan and Strickland, Parica and Morris, etc.

Any one of these matches could have gone either way based on the roll of the balls (Game of inches).

I was very impressed with the demeaner of the players towards one another. It's obvious that there is a lot of respect amongst the players, they showed a lot of class.

Regards,

John

04-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Oh my GOODNESS! I couldn't believe how slooooooooooow he was playing. I'm glad I'm not the only one groaning through these matches.

I did stay until the (bitter) end, and thankfully, Archer's pace did pick up a little bit in his final matches with Morris and Parica. Considering that he appeared more in stroke when he picked up the pace a bit, I remain puzzled as to why he feels compelled to stand up 5-6 times rechecking his contact points on the most basic shots and picking imaginary detritus from the tables. He has to realize that this is killing *his* game as well as his opponents.

His matches with Strickland and Rempe were agonizing to watch....watching the paint dry would be more interesting! There is no reason I can think of for a player of his caliber to be playing 15-MINUTE RACKS!!!!!....as several of his were....not even with the heaviest of safety play involved.

I'd like to formally nominate the concept of shot-clocks to this Joss tour. I never want to hear again how slow women play....Arch plays slower than any woman I've seen!

Cueless Joey
04-22-2002, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PoolFan:</font><hr> What has happened to Archer? Why is he playing so slow? He wasn't like this before when he was winning all the time.

For the past couple of months, I've been reading about how boring it is to watch him play. I'm just curious as to why his style of play has changed. Is it due to a lack of confidence in his play?

Just wondering! <hr></blockquote>................
i asked a great player one time why Johnny played this way now. He said, Johnny has lost confidence. If you want to know how slow he is now, look at the length of his matches from the LA Expo 8 ball round-robin. Maybe he needs to dump that imported cheap stick of his. LOL

Drake
04-22-2002, 02:51 PM
I think his slow play is due to his lack of practice. He used to play fast and loose when he played every day. I think he plays more golf than pool now. Maybe he just has his sights of being number 1 again and he doesn't pull the trigger until he's 100 percent sure. Who knows?? But it's hard to argue with results.

cueball1950
04-22-2002, 04:07 PM
another well known pro made the remark that he plays so slow so that he can keep his opponent away from the table and to keep them from geting into a rhythm. well it appears that this other known pro was right. want to know his name..send me a private message. we had a long discussion on him and charlie williams.........mike

Cuemage
04-22-2002, 06:33 PM
On a side note, there is a local player here that I call Slow Death. He looks 50, stoops like he's 60, strokes like he's 70, walks likes he's 80, and runs out like he's 20.

Tha Cuemage (Still trying to beat Slow Death)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2002, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> I left early. Archer was putting me to sleep. The only thing worse than a Charlie Williams match is a Williams-Archer match. That match went nearly an hour longer than it should have. I knew I couldn't stand another three Archer matches. Those matches should have been tape recorded and then edited to fit the allotted time space.

There's no doubt that Archer uses the contact point aiming system. He puts the cue tip on the contact point for most shots just like a beginner. I apologize in advance to all Archer fans. He's a great player. I just don't have the endurance I once had. It was far more interesting to watch McCready playing banks (and even getting a ball spot).
Ken in CT <hr></blockquote>

Pool and Billiard April 2002 p. 68:

"...I've improved my aiming system to where I'm playing with a lot more confidence."

Well he's half right anyway. LOL

Wally~abhors and dreads slow-playing opponents and teammates...

04-24-2002, 01:28 PM
About Archers aiming system, if he is laying the tip on the table near the OB he may be using the inch and 1/8" method. He would be placing the tip 1 1/8" from the OB and then this would become the extension line for the cue.

I use this method and the advantage is, all cuts have the same aiming point.