PDA

View Full Version : What's the best cue for shooting

boalt06
01-30-2004, 10:32 AM
I just moved to the states from Costa Rica. There was no where to buy decent cues from, so I dont know what's good and what's "gimmick". I have been playing for 2.5 months. I play every day, and want to start playing in Tournaments. Thank you for your advice /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the STATES.

If you want to stay with something SAFE that will last awhile, try the Cuetec line.

Gook luck here in the States..

Wally_in_Cincy
01-30-2004, 10:43 AM
or a McDermott

Perk
01-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Lucasi, good feel, good looks.

Check out Joss if you want a good cue. Their lower end cues seem a bit plain for me though, but all Joss cues play pretty good.

If those are too high for you, check out a Players cue. Good starter cues.

IMO

boalt06
01-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks for your responses. Some people at my local pool hall told me of Predator cues. Are they as great as he says?

Kato
01-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Whew, good question. Predator............the great question. I would recommend them if you are a beginner simply because there would be no adjustment period.

Go into the archives and do a search on Predator Cues and make your decisions from that.

Good Luck and happy hunting. Ask as many questions as you want.

Kato

Perk
01-30-2004, 11:58 AM
From your original post, I took it as you were a beginner. I would have mentioned Predator, but for a beginner I think that 300.00/350.00 is too much of an investment to start making your own judgements regarding the feel of a cue.

But, I had a Predator SPJ (With the steel joint) and enjoyed it. It played really well, and for a sneaky pete has a good look to it. If you can get a good deal, and thats the kinda money you want to spend, look into it. If thats too high, check out the middle ranged cues that are good initial starter investments: Lucasi, Joss, and even a Players.

RedHell
01-30-2004, 01:03 PM
If you consider buying a predator, you might want to buy a Falcon and add a predator shaft to it. Most Predator are manufactured by Falcon. And you should save about 100$ for an equivalent cue + an extra shaft just because it doesn't have the predator logo on it.

That's the setup I have and compared to 2 of my friends owning predator I get the same hit and more money in my pocket.

Just my 2 cents....

recoveryjones
01-30-2004, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> If you consider buying a predator, you might want to buy a Falcon and add a predator shaft to it. Most Predator are manufactured by Falcon. And you should save about 100$ for an equivalent cue + an extra shaft just because it doesn't have the predator logo on it.

That's the setup I have and compared to 2 of my friends owning predator I get the same hit and more money in my pocket.

Just my 2 cents.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yes it's true that Predator butts are made in the Falcon factory however they are (apparently) made to Predator Specs and maybe slightly different than Falcons.Also someone told me that if the cue is exclusivley Predator it would have a better resale value.Furthermore Predator offers a lifetime warranty on their cues.All this is something to consider.

Having said all of this, Falcon has a great reputation for making a good cue so you can't go wrong either way.Good Luck. RJ

RedHell
01-30-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree about the resale value, as for the specs, the mid range Falcon are darn close in size, taper and weight distribution.

But, in my case, that allowed me to have somewhat of an upgrade path to reach close of the same quality. I got the Falcon first and the pred 314 a year later. But it did force me to adjust twice to a new shaft.

Moving from a Cuetec to Falcon's wippy shaft was drastic and then to the 314, even worst !

David Bray
01-30-2004, 03:25 PM
The type of cue to get would depend on the type of feel that you like out of a cue. Stiff/soft/in between.... Meucci cues gives more flex while a Joss would be more stiff so it would depend on you. For a good starter cue get a Players. If you local poolhall offers a cue rental service try that out and see what type of feel you like with your style of play. If I could help you out any more let me know...

crawdaddio
01-30-2004, 06:52 PM
viking,players,dufferin,etc.---all nice production cues..
but if your going to spend more than three hundred dollars,
I recommend a custom cue--many cuemakers will sell a plain cue or a sneaky pete for well under 500. I just bought an olivier sneaky with no finish @ the DCC for 150, and it plays awesome!
recommendations:
Chris Nitti, Jerry Olivier, BCM cues, Mike Stacey, and hueblers are ok
the list goes on and on and I'm sure some of the others here could list a whole lot more.
check www.onthehill.net (http://www.onthehill.net)
www.indyq.com (http://www.indyq.com)
hope it helps
David

Bob_Jewett
01-30-2004, 07:01 PM
As others have pointed out, it is hard to make a suggestion without knowing more about your situation. What's important in a cue to you? If you have no real requirements that a house cue doesn't satisfy, I'd say you should continue with house cues -- and a range of weights, etc. -- until you do have some preference.

But here's something to think about: most brands of commercial cue probably do not have a model that's best for you, and some models will be downright harmful to your game.

Bob Jewett

woody_968
01-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Its hard to make a recommendation without knowing what type of budget your working with. For most new players I normally wouldnt suggest spending more than $100 for a cue because as you get better you will learn what you do and dont like in a cue. Unless you find a really good buy I wouldnt spend too much to start out. In that same frame of mind you might look around your local pool hall and see if anyone has a used cue you could get. If you do want to spend more I agree with looking into a low end custom.

boalt06
01-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanksvery much for your help. That is nice of you. I have one more question if you dont mind. Last night I bought a Meucci 88-3 (with two shafts). I havent yet used it. But I dont think I want to keep. How could I sell (they store wont let me return, becuase it was on sale).

Thanks a lot.

EG

griffith_d
01-31-2004, 09:11 PM
It is true about the butts and Falcon. Only the P2 is made by Predator and it is spliced also.

Griff

Foxtrott
02-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Well you say you have the cue why not try it ? Your not like totally wraped up in a cue finantually and if you use it a a few months then you have something to compare your dislikes and likes to and that may help .

boalt06
02-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks. Do you know anything about the play of P2, yourself or otherwise?
EG

griffith_d
02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> Thanks. Do you know anything about the play of P2, yourself or otherwise?
EG <hr /></blockquote>

No, not the P2, but I have owned a 314 for the Meucci I used to have and it played well and a Predator BK. I sold both.

Griff

boalt06
02-02-2004, 02:06 AM
WHy did you sell them. And in reagrds to break cues, can you give me a recomendation. A friend of mine is trying to sell me his Scorpion break cue.

Thanks

dooziexx
02-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Best cue for shooting....hmmmm Mine. Its a Mike Bender custom cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cueless Joey
02-02-2004, 12:10 PM
My birdseye maple, leather wrapped Zylr.
But, to each their own.
Some people actually like Meucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank_Glenn
02-02-2004, 01:15 PM
That would be the one you are comfortable with. Looks don't matter, it's feel and how it strokes and pockets balls (well, you have to pocket the balls, but inlays and type of wood/what wrap have little to do with it). YMMV

boalt06
02-03-2004, 09:08 PM
thanks for your advice. COuld you give me some advice about a break cue. A friend wants to sell me his Scorpion break cue, but I dont know if its a reliable product or not.

EG

sandgnat
02-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Might be better to start this as a new thread. Easier for people to search and follow, especially considering how long this one is already!