PDA

View Full Version : question about simonis cloth

mike_in_iowa
01-30-2004, 05:56 PM
does simonis cloth come with any markings to identify what kind of cloth it is? The reason I am asking this because last month I called around locally looking to get some cloth. After calling around to 3-4 places I found the best price to be $180, the same as the best price I could find on the 'net. What a deal!
This week I had a few friends over for the 1st time and they commented on the quality of my cloth. Upon closer inspection it did appear quite fuzzy. It is also not holding up very well in regards to burn marks.( I think you would call these burn marks. White marks where I shoot alot, break alot.)
My friends also thought the cloth would have been marked on the edges before we cut it.

What do you guys think? Did I get took?

Mike Athens

PQQLK9
01-30-2004, 06:11 PM
When properly installed the "Iwan Simonis" name in white lettering should be visible under one end rail.
860 is more course than 760 but smoother than most other brands.

kyhogan
01-30-2004, 07:18 PM
how much is going to cost me to get some for my new table and where should I get it.

mike_in_iowa
01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
thats very interesting. I think I will be having a talk with my supplier

thanks

mike

Ken
01-30-2004, 08:39 PM
If you're getting burn marks it probably is Simonis. Maybe you installed it fuzzy side up. Just turn it over.
KenCT

jjinfla
01-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Very funny KenCt - just turn it over.

If you have Simonis 760 that cloth has 70% wool and 30% rayon. Or is it nylon. Anyway, because of that it is common to get the white spots on the cloth where the cue ball scuffs the cloth. Like at the point of impact of cue to cue ball on break and the point where the CB hits the cloth on the way to the rack. Or if you drop the balls on the cloth.

Our installer puts name and number under the rail on one end where it can be seen.

You can call Simonis at 1-800-Simonis where I find they are willing to answer any questions.

Jake

Voodoo Daddy
01-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Actually it can be turned over. A friend of mine that now plays at Capones is/was a tester for Simonis. He turned the 760 cloth over on his home table and played like new.

Ken
01-31-2004, 05:25 AM
Well that's good enough for me, I guess I'll turn mine over and see how it plays. The 860 is 10% nylon and I've heard that there's only one correct "up" side but it can't hurt to try. Or maybe it can.

It's real slow the way it is. Perhaps I should wash it to get the chalk out.
KenCT

cheesemouse
01-31-2004, 05:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> Well that's good enough for me, I guess I'll turn mine over and see how it plays. The 860 is 10% nylon and I've heard that there's only one correct "up" side but it can't hurt to try. Or maybe it can.

It's real slow the way it is. Perhaps I should wash it to get the chalk out.
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>

Ken,

I've actually washed a used cloth and flipped it......a note of caution!!!.......wash it in Woolite and air dry it.......LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

roscoe
01-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Or take it to the dry cleaners!! That would be interesting.

Roscoe

woody_968
01-31-2004, 09:16 AM
As the other posters have said, the cloth could have been installed upside down. And the white marks are typical of Simonis. One thing I do with mine (champion tour cloth, same as Simonis) is use a break pad. I cut a small piece of cloth from what was left over and put it under the cueball before I break. I still get the white line from headstring to the rack, but I dont get all the dots where I break.