PDA

View Full Version : Predator Sneaky Pete (SPWU)

buddha162
01-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Hello,

I'm planning on getting a Predator Sneaky Pete (the wood to wood model) as a back-up cue, but have a couple of questions for people who have used or owned one in the past.

Is the SPWU forward balanced? It's full-spliced, w/o a steel joint, so I'm afraid the weight would be too backwards. I'm looking to get a 19.5 oz cue.

Also, the shaft doesn't come with a phenolic collar. Will that pose any problems in terms of durability?

Thanks,
Roger

ras314
01-31-2004, 10:35 AM
I have two of these cues. Both are 18 oz without weight bolts. They balence at about 17 1/2 inch from the bumper/white ring intersection. With a 1/2 oz weight bolt the balence point is about 16 1/4 inch. I find the 314 shafts also tend to be lighter than 13mm "standard" shafts, but don't have many to compare. These cues with a 1 1/2 oz weight bolt would probably quite "rear weighted"

I am on the third tip (original LePro, next two Talisman layered hard WB) with one shaft, been breaking and playing with it for about a year without any problem with the joint. I tighten it up pretty good and it plays a lot like a one piece cue, good feedback from the hit.

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr>
Also, the shaft doesn't come with a phenolic collar. Will that pose any problems in terms of durability?

Thanks,
Roger <hr /></blockquote>
That wood will flare eventually.

Frank_Glenn
01-31-2004, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr>

Thanks,
Roger <hr /></blockquote>
That wood will flare eventually. <hr /></blockquote>

I have one cue with a wood to wood joint that is used at least twice a week for over 8 years. I break with it when I'm using it. It has not flared?

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Try rolling the cue with it's middle on top of the rail.
If that ferrule is not wobbling ( it should b/c the face of the butt and the shaft shouldn't be totally flat by now)I'd be surprised.
That's the reason why two-piece cues have collars. So, the wood do not get crushed.

buddha162
01-31-2004, 03:45 PM
Thankyou! That's exactly the answer I'm looking for. Now I know the SPW is too rear-balanced for me, especially since I'm looking to get it in 19 1/2 oz.

I might go with the ss joint sneaky pete, not too sure of the hit since I'm playing with a flat-faced, radial-pinned Dayton right now.

Thanks again for the reply,
ROger

buddha162
01-31-2004, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> That's the reason why two-piece cues have collars. So, the wood do not get crushed. <hr /></blockquote>

that's what I hear. I mean, there must be a reason for those collars, right?

I don't care about the cue being "sneaky," as long as it's functional and durable.

Thanks,
Roger

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Sneaky petes aren't too sneaky anymore.
You want a real sneaky, get one of those Budweiser cues and have them cored out with purpleheart or rock maple. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
01-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Ive seen the shaft wood flared around the top of metal joints and some sneaky petes. They were all real cheap cues though.

BTW, what is "sneaky" about a cue with a wrap and/or metal joint?

houstondan
01-31-2004, 11:47 PM
been shooting nothing but spw-preds for a while now, couple of years at least, i just like the hit. i take the weight bolts out for whatever that's worth.

my theory: some knowledgable people believe the best hit really, is from a one-piece cue. the brits are big on that. wood-to-wood is as close to that as you can get. consider also that the cue will vibrate every time you hit a cue ball with it. sticking any more weight at the midpoint than necessary increases the interference with that natural waveform.

or not.

dan