PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed please????help,,help

cueball1950
01-30-2004, 11:07 PM
I am a little embarrased to ask but I need some help from my friends here on the board. lately i have been sick. It started out with a bad cold then turned into strep throat then bronchitis. it has been a long month. When my Dr. had me go for a chest xray to see if it was pnuemonia they found that it was the bronchitis plus something called COPD. i guess that is the start of emphysema or something to that effect. anyway i have decided to stop smoking and i am looking for any help or suggestions that anybody can give me. I am serious about this and really want to do this, so please give me some suggestions. Your help will be greatly appreciated.........mike
ps: to Ted Harris... you were so right and i was so stupid about looking at it from my point of view. Please accept my apology........................................... ..mike

Popcorn
01-31-2004, 12:21 AM
My wife smoked from the age of 14. I have never smoked. I wanted her to quit but I never bugged her about it. I read in the paper about a program by the American lung Ass. to quit smoking. It was I think a couple times a week 6 weeks and at that time was like $25.00. I mentioned it to her and I could not believe she said she would go. I went through it with her even though I don't smoke so I would understand what was going on. I won't go into how it worked. It was called freedom from smoking, (see link). She has not smoked or even thought about it since the end of the class and that was 1983. This program does work and you can stop.
http://www.lungusa.org/events/ffs.html

CarolNYC
01-31-2004, 03:21 AM
Mike,
This is very serious-I can't put it any other way ,except, if you don't stop smoking you'll die-you HAVE TO stop NOW-smoking will only rapidly increase the onset of the disease-you know I worked for EMS-Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is irreversible-once you damage your lungs, it cant be fixed-forgive me for sounding harsh, but Im serious about this-theres medications to help you breathe better and then finally, being put on oxygen-PLEASE stop smoking!NOW!
Carol

PQQLK9
01-31-2004, 03:38 AM
Don't feel embarrased Mike, believe it or not you have overcome the worst hurdle by deciding to quit.I have been smoke free for 24 years after multiple packs a day for 22 years.(I started at age 17)
When I quit I decided that while I would be a non-smoker I would not be an anti-smoker because I knew how much I enjoyed it.I can't give you any definate techniques because I did it cold turkey.
I would just say take it one ball (one day) at a time and you will run the rack and win the match.
I am pulling for you Mike so hang in there .

Karatemom
01-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi Mike. The one key to quitting smoking is to be determined as hell! You have to really want to quit to bne able to. My uncle had COPD, and he did not quit smoking. He also had heart trouble so any possible transplants were out of the question. Carol is absolutely right, first meds, then inhalers, then O2 tanks. He did live quite a while with this horrible disease, but you can definitely lengthen your stay here on earth by quitting now. We're behind you and pulling for you. There is a computer program out there on the internet. It won't help you quit, but it will give you some incentive while you're trying. I'm sorry I don't have the link, but if you punch quit smoking in the search bar, you'll eventually find it. It will show you how many cigarettes you've missed, how long you've quit, how much money you've saved, etc. It's really a neat program and gives you a little boost when you're a little antsy.

Heide ~ sending Mike all the determination I've got

ted harris
01-31-2004, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I am a little embarrased to ask but I need some help from my friends here on the board. lately i have been sick. It started out with a bad cold then turned into strep throat then bronchitis. it has been a long month. When my Dr. had me go for a chest xray to see if it was pnuemonia they found that it was the bronchitis plus something called COPD. i guess that is the start of emphysema or something to that effect. anyway i have decided to stop smoking and i am looking for any help or suggestions that anybody can give me. I am serious about this and really want to do this, so please give me some suggestions. Your help will be greatly appreciated.........mike
ps: to Ted Harris... you were so right and i was so stupid about looking at it from my point of view. Please accept my apology........................................... ..mike <hr /></blockquote>
Mike,
No need to apologize to me.
Whatever you do, just take it one second, minute, hour, day at a time! Don't try to take too much on at a time. Just think abou the now! If you want to quit, you will. Easy as pie. Cold turkey is really the only way! Good luck, and feel better! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you want to talk, call me. The number is on my website.

dg-in-centralpa
01-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Mike,
Several people I know would substitute something for a cigarette such as a lollipop(Telly Savalas)style, or a toothpick. Eventually it will work. My uncle quit smoking cold turkey after doing 3-4 packs a day. He's been smoke free for 7 years and feels much better.

DG - lost an aunt to cancer probably, due to smoking

Barbara
01-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Mike,

I used the Nicotrol inhaler. It was great because it gave me something to do with my hands plus, I could "smoke" inside.

Worked like a charm 4 years ago!

I wish you the very best!!

Barbara

cueball1950
02-03-2004, 09:56 PM
I want to take a minute to thank everyone for their replies and their support. Tomorrow morning when i wake up it will be the dawning of a new day for me. I will be starting a regamin of Wellbutrin and nicotrol gum to help me in my quest to stop smoking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Again, thank you for your replies and emails of support........................mike

ras314
02-04-2004, 07:24 AM
I decided to see if I could live without smoking, starting last weekend. So far the biggest problem has been difficultly sleeping very long at the time which means I'm always tired.

Another thing I've noticed is the sense of smell coming back. Not necessarily a good thing.

This is after some 40 years of smoking so I expect things to get harder.

Any rate perhaps your difficulities will be different than mine and I am interested to hear how Wellbutrin and nicotrol works for you.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-04-2004, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Another thing I've noticed is the sense of smell coming back. ...

<font color="blue">I quit for a week a couple years ago. I noticed the same thing. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Cueball1950 and ras314,

The last time I quit I used the Nicorette gum. It really does take away the craving. It's not exactly fun to chew though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best of luck to you both. I have quit and started back at least 4 times. As soon as I get up the nerve again I will join you in the non-smoking section. </font color>

Rich R.
02-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Mike, just like kicking any addiction, just take it one day at a time. When you feel the urge to smoke, tell yourself, you don't do that anymore.

Good luck from a former smoker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WaltVA
02-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Mike - Take it one day at a time and never think of it as "giving up smoking." You are not "giving up" anything, but "getting rid of" a terrible, life-threatening habit. Stress the positives to yourself every time you think of what you used to do; i.e., improved health outlook; feeling better; more energy; no more nicotine stains, smoke odors, burn holes; food tastes better; money saved.

Try setting aside the money you used to spend on smokes as a "reward fund" and spend it on something you'd really like to have. When I quit, they were 35 cents a pack; I still took the family on a nice vacation. At today's prices, you should be able to do something REALLY nice!

When the craving hits, think about the positives. You can do it; good luck and best wishes.

Walt in VA

Wally_in_Cincy
02-04-2004, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>...At today's prices, you should be able to do something REALLY nice!...<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah. Like buy a yacht /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
02-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Mike,

I tried to quit several times before the last time and it always failed. From my experience, especially this last time, I got prepared. By that I mean I went to a support group provided by our county. I'm sure there are some in your vicinity. I read, read, and read some more. I also went to a forum on the web, everyone was very helpful. I decided to quit finnaly for the last time after appx 3 weeks of help from others. It gave me the determination to quit for good. I quit in July of 2003. Good Luck, you will succeed when your ready and it sounds like you are.

Rod

Barbara
02-04-2004, 05:08 PM
We're all behind you, Mike!! One day at a time!!

Barbara~~~is sorry Wally is land-locked... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
I hope you succeed. You are a better man than I am, atleast you are trying to quit.

Dagwood
02-05-2004, 02:48 AM
Amen Ralph...

Best of luck in your endeavor. You'll do fine, we're all pulling for you.

Dags

cueball1950
02-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Well so far it has been 5 days without a cigarette. I think this time i just might make it. Thanks for everybodies support and emails of encouragement.................mike

Barbara
02-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Way to go Mike!!!! Keep up the good work!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
02-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Good for you Mike !!!!!!!!!

Can you taste your food yet? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
02-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Your doing good Mike.
Just keep going, one day at a time.

Just like any other addiction, you will still get the urge to smoke, years from now. It ain't easy. Just remember, you don't smoke anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
02-08-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Just like any other addiction, you will still get the urge to smoke, years from now. It ain't easy. Just remember, you don't smoke anymore.<hr /></blockquote>That's exactly true. Pick a time that you will refer to yourself as a non-smoker. For me, it was two months. I knew that if I could go two months without smoking, I'd never smoke again.

Interesting story, though. You WILL get the urge to smoke, probably the rest of your life. I recall sitting on the couch one day by myself watching television, and actually physically mindlessly reaching over to the place where I kept my cigarettes to get one, without thinking. This was seven years after I became a non-smoker. Must have been a tough day.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

After 12 years now, I still want to smoke. But I don't. After two months, it became a choice, and I will choose to not smoke again.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-08-2004, 08:32 AM
After I had quit for about 3 months I relly didn't want one. Only if I was at a party then I might bum one but I didn't want one the next day. Everybody's different I guess.

ras314
02-08-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm at 7 days now, so far so good. Haven't really had a craving for a cigaret except when I'm not doing something.

Find that if I can stay on a pool table I don't even think of smoking. Gets a little rough waiting for the next game though.

My chest congestion seems to be clearing up, nothing like positive reinforcement to kick the rotten habit.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-08-2004, 09:44 AM
ras, good job. Keep it up