PDA

View Full Version : Nothing has changed.

Popcorn
01-31-2004, 03:51 AM
I was just watching an old episode of "What's my line" on game show network and one of the contestants tonight was Mosconi. He stumped the panel. He signed in as Mr. X, I guess in case they would have recognized his name. After, at that time, being for about 20 years the most famous and prominent pool player in the world, these four wordily, learned people, on the panel had no idea who he was.

PQQLK9
01-31-2004, 04:28 AM
I agree,I have that episode on a tape I got from Willie Joplin that has a compilation of most of the old pool related topics.
Did you know or play him Popcorn?

cheesemouse
01-31-2004, 04:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I was just watching an old episode of "What's my line" on game show network and one of the contestants tonight was Mosconi. He stumped the panel. He signed in as Mr. X, I guess in case they would have recognized his name. After, at that time, being for about 20 years the most famous and prominent pool player in the world, these four wordily, learned people, on the panel had no idea who he was. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

You are so correct...nothing changes...last Tuesday night at a local league match I took it upon myself to inform the 10 or 12 players in the bar that there would be good pool coverage of the Mosconi Cup Matches on ESPN on W, TH, and FR......none of them and I mean none of them had ever heard of the Mosconi Cup. One guy says "I thought Mosconi was dead".

Some one asked me who was on the American team. When I listed the names I could tell that the names where unfamiliar to all listening. A couple guys where familiar with Earl but none knew or had ever heard of any of the other team members...

The moral of the story: If you are aware of the top players in the game and how they are doing you are a member of one of the smallest minorities in sports...sad stuff and doesn't say much for the future of our sport...the industry has dropped the ball, hell, they have never picked up the ball...:(

If Alex Trebec(sp) of Jeopardy wanted to stump the panel all he would have to do is ask:" Who is the current US Open 9-Ball champion?"

JimS
01-31-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm REALLY surprised. I knew who he was in the 50's and I was just a kid....maybe that's why. I was, after all, a pool hall kid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
01-31-2004, 06:23 AM
This, I"m sorry to say, does NOT surprise me. Most of my pool friends are in the same boat.

When I got back into playing pool almost 5 years ago I was asking around about the pros and I'd never heard of Buddy or Earl, or Efren....or any of the guys that came along after Mosconi. Where would a guy ever hear about any of our stars? Not in the newspaper and not on ESPN and certainly not on any local station 10pm news.

woody_968
01-31-2004, 08:11 AM
Your right Jim, really the only place to get any info on the sport of pool is the internet, or subscribe to one of the magazines.

Pelican
01-31-2004, 08:23 AM
Oh No!!! Popcorn, does this mean I'll never be famous, wealthy, and good lookin'? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Popcorn
01-31-2004, 11:35 AM
I saw him play a lot of times when I was young in the 60's when he worked for Brunswick. I would drive a 100 miles to see one of his shows even though I had seen it so many times. He almost always played a challenger a 100 or 150 point game, that was the best. He never sluffed off those games, you were assured to see him play his best every time. I played him a few times in those, (somebody had to). He almost always ran out in 2 or 3 innings, often a 100 or more like it was nothing. I got to know him a later when he was an old man.