PDA

View Full Version : And whats so great about the gold crown!

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Silly me opened the paper and found an ad for a Gold Crown. Now in my eye it's not pretty. I like the look of the other furniture style. But since all you guys talk it up. And this one is in my price range. Someone tell me whats so great!

cheesemouse
01-31-2004, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyhogan:</font><hr> Silly me opened the paper and found an ad for a Gold Crown. Now in my eye it's not pretty. I like the look of the other furniture style. But since all you guys talk it up. And this one is in my price range. Someone tell me whats so great! <hr /></blockquote>

KY,

If you want a pool table then buy the GC.......if you want furniture go to Wallmart.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluebird
01-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Gold Crowns:
Most of the time you can't go wrong to invest in a Gold Crown, you will most likely get your money back off your investment when you go to sell,it's not like other tables. Stay away from the (I think it looks pretty tables ) if you are wanting to become a more than average Pool Player. Almost all Gold Crowns play alike, not sure when they started to make them but I'll guess the 1930's to todays tables pretty much play the same not like other companys that keep making changes.
So if you go play in a tournament in Mass. Ohio or Ky. it is likely the tables will play the same.

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2004, 10:21 AM
I have a friend in the billiard industry, has his own billiard company on top of working for a storefront as an installer/mechanic. He quickly told me that GC tables were the best from his experience, someting in the construction of the slate bed frames and the way they level. Sorry I don't have more detailed comments. I just took his word since he has been installing for so long. sid

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 10:27 AM
The new Gold Crown IV you mean?
Well, solid frame, no shim levelling system, tear drop shape top rais and so on.
GC's are built to last a lifetime.
They are built for pool fanatics not interior designer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 10:38 AM
I don't know yet what model gold crown!
I want a table that lasts. (anything solid wood will)
I understand the benefit of built in Leveling
(which appears to be the biggest benefit of the gold crown)
But I'm not a professional I'm just casual.
And I havn't yet decided if the leveling option is enough to make it worth it.

Does it still need a table mechanic to install and level it? If not then it starts leveling the cost playing feild.

Is there a model to not get?

logixrat
01-31-2004, 10:42 AM
As the others have stated, the Gold Crowns are noted for the superior playability, not their looks. They are a competition table used by pros, and they look like that. Which model did you look at? They have a GC I, II, III &amp; IV. The IV's are the most expensive (around $4k or so normally) and then they work down in price from there. If you found a IV for your $2k budget (as I recall), then you are doing exceptionally well and will likely be able to turn around and sell the table for a profit.

What makes them superior is the leg leveling system, superior frame construction, at least 1" thick Italian slate, the best rubber cushions, etc, etc. If you want precision, this is the table. Don't take me wrong, other people make great tables. I am happy with my Golden West, I'm sure you could be happy with a Kasson...but if you have an opportunity for a Gold Crown, that is THE table to get. It will PLAY better than the others. And heck, even in my opinion, I like the styling...but then again, I'm not much for fancy tables.

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Only GC IV have the no shim levelling system.
What area are you in?
A used GC I or GC II go around 2K. GC III are disliked by GC fanatics.
The biggest benefit of GC 1, 2 and 4 is their playability and superb construction.

Popcorn
01-31-2004, 11:04 AM
I have put together and taken apart a lot of Gold Crowns. I put the frame together on the floor and then lift it on to the legs. It takes four strong guys just to lift the frame off the floor.(no slates yet).

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm in KY. My new adjusted used table budget is $1000.

So more than likely this is a GCIII and they are disliked by GC folk.

And if this doesn't even have the leveling system then heck it's just an ugly table that plays well.

I have BASEMENT VANITY!!!

4 guys thats a heavy table (which has advantages staying true and disadvantages a bear to move)

RUNaRAK
01-31-2004, 11:12 AM
GC's play very nice. Pockets are pretty generous from factory but that is an easy fix. A new one would cost you quite a bit more than 4 grand, I have a friend that just recently paid 7500 for his. Get a good price and you won't be unhappy.

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 11:12 AM
A table mechanic has to set that up.
Not that anyone can just do the other GC's anyway.
The slates will have to be shimmed and the slates will have to be waxed or some prefer Bondo.

woody_968
01-31-2004, 11:18 AM
As many have already said, the beauty of the GC is in the way that they play. If your goals are to put in alot of practice and become one of the best players in your area then the you should really think about getting the GC. If on the other hand you want a table for more casual games, and looks are of equal value as playability then another table may be a better choice.

A good table mechanic can take a "pretty" table and make it play ok for most home table players. But they cant change the looks of a GC /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Thats is pretty much to the point.

Ok so lets say it's a GC III

What is it's real value (because if I'm stealing it I might just buy it to steal it). It's in a home so assume avg condition.

woody_968
01-31-2004, 11:23 AM
I think there are two types of leveling that has come into this conversation. The no shime slate leveling of the GC4 is just for the slates I believe. The other gold crowns still have a leveling system for the entire table that doesnt make you put shims under the legs. Most home tables you have to put shims under the legs to do your leveling.

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 11:25 AM
The shims are place under the slates.
GC II's and III's have adjusteable legs.

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 12:11 PM
well either a grand is no steal or you low belly toad scum are trying to get it out from under me!

Ken
01-31-2004, 12:21 PM
If it's a 9 foot GCIII it's a steal. They usually go from $1,800 to $2,400 when a room has a bunch they want to sell.
KenCT

woody_968
01-31-2004, 12:25 PM
LOL, well here is the deal, its hard to say without know for sure which one it is. For any of them I would say a grand is a good price, and in many cases one you could make money off of when you wanted to sell it. But that totally depends on your market. The question is, if you are thinking about buying it just to sell it, are you willing to take the gamble on it not selling for a while and having your money tied up into a table that you dont seem to want. I would say you need to find out for sure which one it is, and then think about the market you are in and if you think it would sell in a reasonable amount of time if you are thinking about re-selling it.

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 12:51 PM
It's an 8 footer.

Yah I don't know if I wanna try and market it. If it's only a 400-500 dollar benefit after 12 months of holding and paying to have it set up etc.

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 12:57 PM
&lt;i&gt;It's an 8 footer.
&lt;/i&gt;
That's a big difference.
Home 8 ft antique style tables sell faster but nobody looks for a pro-8 commercial type table ( it's a little bigger than home 8 btw).

Popcorn
01-31-2004, 01:01 PM
There is a lot to buying and reselling a pool table. When you buy it, it has to be broken down and moved. If you plan on reselling it, it is almost UN-sellable for any kind of good price, unless it has been set back up for the prospective buyer to try it out. You have to be able to do all this yourself, and it is a lot of work just to make a few dollars.

Of course you now have to advertise it and find a buyer, who will no doubt offer you what you originally paid for it. If you can't deliver it yourself, they will contact a billiard supple who will just sell them their own table most of the time. You don't take credit cards like a billiard supple can. They sell it out the door delivered and set up with a guarantee. It is a lot of money and that is what the average buyer want's. The ones I have sold that were not set up. I had to deliver and set up, assuring the buyer all the parts were there, (A broke down pool table does not look like much), and it was a good table before I got paid, unless I wanted to sell it for nothing. Used pool tables just are not worth a lot compared to the original price.

Harold Acosta
01-31-2004, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't want a Gold Crown for home! It would be like stepping into another pool hall! Yucks!!!!

I would prefer the Brunswick Gibson, or any of their European Style tables.

http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/products/brunswick/tables/casual/casual.html

http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/products/brunswick/tables/european/european.html

Since I am not a Pro, nor I am thinking of becoming one, anything resembling a pool hall table is just out of the question...

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Cueless Joey
01-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Go find an Anniversary or Centennial then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Its a gold crown I (suppesedly). It was in a pool hall.

What does that mean.

Frank_Glenn
01-31-2004, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyhogan:</font><hr> Its a gold crown I (suppesedly). It was in a pool hall.

What does that mean. <hr /></blockquote>

It means it has pinned slate, no levelers in the legs, and is built heavier than the II, III, &amp; IV. The GC-I had plastic covers under the ball returns railing that made it hard to get at a stuck ball. I took mine off. The apron on the GC-I is a little wider than a II. The aprons are made of poplar, and are typically painted on I's &amp; II's. Typical colors were blue &amp; orange, blue &amp; white, oringe &amp; white. I had mine repainted black (2 part epoxy, looks like a black crown) except for the top rail which is rosewood looking formica. Sometimes you see them stained, but they are not as nice looking (IMO) as the III (which doesn't play as well, again IMO).

Barbara
01-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Does it have adjustable legs? GCIs and IIs were interchangeable. I have a GCI with adjustable legs. I belive GCIs did not have adjustable legs for leveling.

BTW, the GCI and II were distinguishable by their counters on the head rail.

Barbara

Popcorn
01-31-2004, 05:59 PM
A G.C. can be dressed up very nice. Re painting can look great. If you leave one painted in the original colors they can look like you have a car parked in your house. I painted mine in a dark gray to match the fire place and it seemed to shrink to half the size. When it was white it was all you could see in the room. If done right, they blend into the decor of a room nicely. I think they are much nicer then the furniture style, especially today, they have a high-tech look.

woody_968
01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
I have an AMF that looks similiar to the GC. When I first got it it had the ugliest green (used to be blue) vinyl on the side of it. I took it off and put black vinyl on the sides and painted the ball storage red to go with the Dale Ernhardt JR color sceem we are going with in the garage. I am very happy with the way it looks. Its all in personal taste, but I like the looks much better than a furnature table.

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 08:23 PM
All this talk of vinyl, plastic, tables that look like cars, bright colors, and repainting has made a believer out of me. I'm a furniture guy.

So guess I'm gonna stay with some of that furniture that you can play pool on.

griffith_d
01-31-2004, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote logixrat:</font><hr> As the others have stated, the Gold Crowns are noted for the superior playability, not their looks. They are a competition table used by pros, and they look like that. Which model did you look at? They have a GC I, II, III &amp; IV. The IV's are the most expensive (around $4k or so normally) and then they work down in price from there. If you found a IV for your $2k budget (as I recall), then you are doing exceptionally well and will likely be able to turn around and sell the table for a profit.

What makes them superior is the leg leveling system, superior frame construction, at least 1" thick Italian slate, the best rubber cushions, etc, etc. If you want precision, this is the table. Don't take me wrong, other people make great tables. I am happy with my Golden West, I'm sure you could be happy with a Kasson...but if you have an opportunity for a Gold Crown, that is THE table to get. It will PLAY better than the others. And heck, even in my opinion, I like the styling...but then again, I'm not much for fancy tables.

<hr /></blockquote>

There is no way you can get a GC IV for $4000. The cheapest I have found it was about $8K.

Griff