PDA

View Full Version : Please help with survey

Pelican
01-31-2004, 01:33 PM
How bout some input on this. What do you use the most when playing for position - follow or draw? I realize there are times when only one or the other can be used. What I am refering to is if either would work which would you use.

dmgwalsh
01-31-2004, 01:38 PM
I probably use draw more, although I've been told that follow is easier to control.

woody_968
01-31-2004, 02:16 PM
With ball in hand I almost always set up the shot for follow as I do think it is easier to control. But on a normal run out I would say I probably hit draw more often. Maybe this is why I dont get out much /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

On a side note I do tend to pocket the object ball more often and with more confidence when hitting with a small amount of draw.

recoveryjones
01-31-2004, 02:52 PM
In general, draw is much harder to control (weight wise) for the vast majority of people. It takes extensive practice to get a good feel for.I know I've read somewhere that of the great recorded runs like Mosconi's 500 plus balls that draw was rarely used.The article stated that almost all of the shots the pool player (in question) used were running tops and stun. I wish I still had reference to the article to see if the writer was refering to Mosconi or not because it was a good article.The writer definitly advocated using follow and stun more often as opposed to draw.

Personally I almost allways use tops with ball in hand however I really practice draw drills because those shots come up and are also vitally important. RJ

Frank_Glenn
01-31-2004, 03:31 PM
I use what is appropriate for position on the next ball. I don't really "prefer" on over the other.

bluebird
01-31-2004, 03:57 PM
I have never gave it much thought,but now that you are doing a survery I think that when I'm playing on a bar box I use more draw & stop than on a 9ft.
9ft's I trust myself & the table & use more follow.
But what works for me may not work for you!!!!!

bigshooter
01-31-2004, 05:30 PM
If I have my choice I'll use follow everytime.
I can hit a good accurate draw shot but I think follow is a more natural less effort type of shot.

Kato
02-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Stop, follow, and stun on a 7 ft bar track. 9 ft'ers I take what the table gives me.

Kato~~~definitely not afraid to crank up my draw stroke.

Paul_Mon
02-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Given the choice of follow or draw I choose follow every time. A good player told me this quite a while back and years of observation lead me to belive it. You have to remember that when you're watching tournament play on TV that the conditions are different than where you play. Tournament conditions ie. new cloth and clean balls make a huge difference in the style of play.

Paul Mon

9ballbc
02-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Draw on a bar box. Follow on 8ft or 9ft. Also, more draw is used playing 8 ball because of the cluttering of balls making it difficult to cut the cue ball loose at times. I definitely use more top on a 9 foot table playing 9 ball. Thanks, BC

phil in sofla
02-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Although I often use top, I believe my choice is predominantly draw, as some of my hitting partners have raised the question after I've shot, 'why didn't you use top there, wouldn't that have been simpler/more reliable?'

=k=
02-02-2004, 07:20 AM
i used draw more than follow, but now starting to use more follow. i seem to make more shots now. it could be my cloth is getting older?

pooltchr
02-02-2004, 08:54 AM
When either will work, I will go with follow. Draw requires you to make the cue ball do something "unnatural" as in completely change direction. Follow allows the natural roll of the cb to continue. To paraphrase an old golf cliche...Draw for show, follow for dough.