PDA

View Full Version : Talked into a Cue I didn't want. what now!

boalt06
01-31-2004, 05:13 PM
Last night I got talked into a Meucci 88-3 with two shafts, from a pool hall pro shop. It was a mistake. How can I sell it. (the owner wont let me return it, because it was on sale).

Thanks pool players

bigshooter
01-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Well you could check on ebay and see what it's bringing and go that route, if you bought it right you might not take much of a beating.
Why did you decide so quickly it was a mistake?

Frank_Glenn
01-31-2004, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> Last night I got talked into a Meucci 88-3 with two shafts, from a pool hall pro shop. It was a mistake. How can I sell it. (the owner wont let me return it, because it was on sale).

Thanks pool players <hr /></blockquote>

I would make sure everybody in ear range knew about this. I would hang out at the pro shop and tell everyone coming in the door to be careful &amp; why. YMMV

bigshooter
01-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks pool players <hr /></blockquote>

I would make sure everybody in ear range knew about this. I would hang out at the pro shop and tell everyone coming in the door to be careful &amp; why. YMMV
<hr /></blockquote>
And post it on the internet for all to see!
GREEDY!

woody_968
01-31-2004, 06:40 PM
You could ask him if he would sell it on consignment, and if so what percentage he would charge. Although from the sounds of the way he does business this may not be an option.

As suggested, ebay may be an option.

Why dont you want it? Since he wont take it back it sounds like you may be stuck with it for a little while, so you may try playing with it and see if you like it. Keeping it may be better than the financial beating you may take for selling a new cue you just bought.

Dagwood
01-31-2004, 08:26 PM
I agree with Woody above. Try playing with it for a little while, and if you still don't like it, then you can try and sell it to another player. Either way, it's a Meucci, and you probably aren't going to get back what you paid for it, even if it was on sale.

On a side note, if you are a beginner, a meucci is a good enough cue. You don't need to get another cue, or a custom cue for that matter. But, that's just my opinion.

Dags

tateuts
01-31-2004, 08:44 PM
You mean the one with the blue points and spears? That's a pretty uncommon cue. I also have one in my Meucci collection, and I think it is a cool looking cue. If it has the old Meucci logo and is in decent shape, it should bring in $300 -$350.

Chris

griffith_d
01-31-2004, 09:05 PM
I am not sure of how someone talked you into buying something that you did not want,..if it will make you feel any better, I have some mountain property in Louisiana that has a great view.

Ok,..just kidding,....there are a lot of people in Japan that might buy it. I sold my HOF-1 Meucci there, but with a 314, for $200. Actually, they got a deal, as the cue was in near perfect condition.

Griff

tateuts
01-31-2004, 09:46 PM
Is this the cue you don't want, the 88-3?

http://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-88-series.htm

I have only seen a couple for sale and I bought one. This is not a common cue. You are aware that it's 15 years old and is a reasonably priced collectible, right? Did someone tell you it was bad because it was a Meucci?

Chris

boalt06
01-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, I purchased it becuase I knew it was old, and it came with two shafts for 375. I bought because it seemed like a reasonable deal. But I dont have money for a collection or an extra cue. So now I dont have money to buy my playing cue (I think I want a predator 2). I didn't really think it through. I hope I can sell for at least as much as I paif for it...thank you for your advice.

boalt06
01-31-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes, that is the one.

boalt06
01-31-2004, 11:24 PM
That's the one. How should I attempt to sell it.

Thanks for your help.

tateuts
01-31-2004, 11:49 PM
My first suggestion is to keep it and play it. If it's straight they are a nice solid playing cue. There is no reason you can't play well with this cue. It may take some getting used to. Changing cues takes a little time to adjust.

If you must sell it, I would put it on E-Bay for a straight $350 outright buy. If you don't have a good E-Bay selling account, you might want to find a friend who does. Even if it doesn't sell at that, I am confident you can get $300 or very close to it, and you will probably get some offers.

Frankly, no matter what kind of cue you could get, you could always have bought something better or different, whatever. It's not the cue - it's the player. I could shoot just as well or just as bad with my Meucci's (I have over 20 old ones) as I do with my $3000 customs.

When you buy a Predator you are basically buying a shaft. For about $175 you can find a Predator shaft for your Meucci if you really need to. If you are an advanced player, you might benefit from the Predator.

Don't be surprised to find that the older pool shooters will look at your Meucci with a lot of interest. Your cue is cool.

Chris

NH_Steve
02-01-2004, 07:29 AM
I agree with the 'try it for a while suggestions' -- since the cue is already used, there's no harm to it's value in using it as long as you take good care of it, right?

Here's a cheap suggestion: Try getting a new tip put on one of the shafts that is more exactly like the tip you were used to shooting with -- that might be enough of an adjustment that you take more of a liking to the stick /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boalt06
02-01-2004, 12:18 PM
But I havent used it yet. NOt once. Or, does it still count as used because i have bought it.

THanks

tateuts
02-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Are you saying this is a factory new unused cue? If it is, I'm interested in buying it from you. Send me a private message with your e-mail address.

Does he have any more old Meucci's that are new he wants to sell? If so, please include the name and phone number of the shop.

Chris

nAz
02-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Why not ask him to take it back and give you store credit, maybe there is something else there you would feel comfortable with, even if you may need to dish out a little more $$$. i think that would be worth doing.

Harold Acosta
02-01-2004, 06:58 PM
You have a collectible cue. I wouldn't sell it. Think of it as an investment right now until you can sell it. Find someone to put it up at Ebay for at least the same price you paid, plus shipping and handling to be paid by the buyer.

Remember that there are processing fees at Ebay (listing fees) and at Paypal to get your money.

I would say $400 plus shipping and handling.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Pelican
02-01-2004, 09:41 PM
88's did not come original with two shafts. I don't imagine an 88 has been sitting around 'new' all these years. If he sold it to you for 'new' he probably got ya again.

tateuts
02-01-2004, 10:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> 88's did not come original with two shafts. I don't imagine an 88 has been sitting around 'new' all these years. If he sold it to you for 'new' he probably got ya again. <hr /></blockquote>

Pelican,

You never know. The 88-3 I have also has two identical shafts. Last year I bought a brand new Oldie 2 that was still in a sealed factory bag that a guy had in his storeroom from the early 1990's. I sold it on E-Bay, I think it was bid up to $430 (it had the new logo or it would have been worth more). From the same guy, I also bought a new unplayed "Road Agent" with the old Meucci=Originals logo from the 1980's that was in an opened factory bag but had never been chalked and was 100% perfect new.

Stranger things have happened.

Chris

boalt06
02-02-2004, 02:04 AM
No, it is brand new with two new (identical) shafts. And it has the older meucci labels.

THanks again

tateuts
02-02-2004, 09:23 PM
E Mail me. I want it!

Chris

tateuts
02-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, no e-mail.

Are you for real?

boalt06
02-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Mr. Acosta,

Como esta? I already have an ebay account. is that the best way to sell this cue, or is there a place where pool collectors look (or is that place ebay).

Thanks

boalt06
02-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Yes, I am for real. YOu seem to know a lot about cues. I know a place that is selling an older "city nights" meucci cue, and some other old one with keys in the butt. He is selling both for 400 each. Do you think it would be a good investment? THanks for your help.

kyhogan
02-03-2004, 09:50 PM
You have a cue you don't want. And here is a buyer. But you won't seem to sell it to him. Yet you complain you were talked into this cue. I too don't understand. Sell it to this guy.

boalt06
02-03-2004, 11:06 PM
No, I do want to sell it to him. I said so in my last reply. I never said anything that indicated that I did not want to sell it. (it just took me a while to reply...im swamped with homework) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tateuts
02-04-2004, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> No, I do want to sell it to him. I said so in my last reply. I never said anything that indicated that I did not want to sell it. (it just took me a while to reply...im swamped with homework) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Please check your private messages and call me.

Chris

boalt06
02-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I just checked my privates messages, I did not see one from you.

Send me another please.
EG

tateuts
02-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Oops - OK I sent it - I must have hit the wrong button.

tateuts
02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Well, now I see them for sale on E-Bay - these are yours, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3659486301&amp;category=21 212

This and the key cue. First you're whining about getting your money back. Now you think they're worth a fortune?

You saw Mad Mike's prices and think they are gospel. Let me ask you, why do you think they call him "Mad" Mike?

Well, I'm glad you didn't sell them to me. While the cues were sitting on a shelf for the 15 years, the clear coat yellowed and a chemical reaction caused the blue dye to bleed over into the white plastic. Yes, that plastic was white at one time. The cue needs to be refinished, about $130.

The 88 cue is worth about $325 in that shape and the key cue is probably worth $450 tops.

Thanks for wasting my time. Law school...sure.

Chris

Harold Acosta
02-07-2004, 09:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> While the cues were sitting on a shelf for the 15 years, the clear coat yellowed and a chemical reaction caused the blue dye to bleed over into the white plastic. Yes, that plastic was white at one time. The cue needs to be refinished, about $130.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, the "bleeding and yellowing" of Meucci cues is one of the things I hate most about them. I once purchased a Meucci PBT-3 (Pro Billiard Tour logo), which is/was the 97-9 cue, and when I got it, the darn thing was all messed up, with the blue lines bleeding into the white plastic in the butt. I was so dissapointed, I gave it away to a friend of mine, who in turn sold the darn thing.

If only I had known that the PBT would crumble...I would have kept it...

My loss.....another person's gain....

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Foxtrott
02-07-2004, 10:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Well, now I see them for sale on E-Bay - these are yours, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3659486301&amp;category=21 212

I just send you a message tateuts please tell me if Im wrong

TheFish
02-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Not to butt in.
I havent been back to this forum in ages and just sawa the thread and checked out the cute.
i had an 88-2.. I got it for 25 bucks CDN at one of those thrift shops. BEST HITTING CUE EVER&gt; I loved it so much i got the cue refinished and the wrap redone (the white linen one was coming off).

better hitting than my custom gilbert, and my predator with a custom 12mm 314 shaft. igave it to some girl who was kinda like my "student"

kinda regret giving that beauty away.

tateuts
02-08-2004, 01:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr>
Chris, the "bleeding and yellowing" of Meucci cues is one of the things I hate most about them. I once purchased a Meucci PBT-3 (Pro Billiard Tour logo), which is/was the 97-9 cue, and when I got it, the darn thing was all messed up, with the blue lines bleeding into the white plastic in the butt. I was so dissapointed, I gave it away to a friend of mine, who in turn sold the darn thing.

If only I had known that the PBT would crumble...I would have kept it...

My loss.....another person's gain....

http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Harold,

Most of the time the problem is just in the finish coat. I've refinshed about a dozen Meucci's myself. The dye bleeds into whatever clear they used (probaly enamel) but it seems to be compatible with Polyurethane. The blue is notorious. I can't believe they kept using it and using it.

I refinshed an 88-3 and it came out beautiful. I used water based marker pens to recolor the blue and sealed it up with polyurethane.

As far as yellowing goes, again it's usually in the finish, however, I have seen some of the white plastic yellow well into it's surface.

Chris