PDA

View Full Version : Lighting over the table

kyhogan
01-31-2004, 08:30 PM
Ok as long as I'm finishing the basement. What are the opinions on the best lighting for a pool table.

How are can lights? If so how many and placed where.

Or do I need one of those hang down lights.

I probably have a beam that will cross over my pool table from side to side. The beam starts at about 2 feet from the break end. I could hang the light under the beam and over the table I guess (how high from the ground does one hang of those lights).
Just trying to do it right the first time!

ras314
01-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Somewhere I've seen recommended height over the table around 31 inches, same as table height. I would be concerned that a light closer to one end might not illuminate the table evenly, especially the lower to the table it is.

I've discovered pool table lights are not cheap! Wound up ordering the Diamond light with 4 8 ft florescent bulbs.

Most interesting lights I've seen where chandeliers with about 50 bulbs each. Sure put a lot of light spots on the balls.

houstondan
01-31-2004, 11:15 PM
i know a little bit about this one that might be of interest. what we did was to copy the diamond light sortof. it's a 4x8 box (over a 9' table) with 3 pairs of 8'fluorescent(sp?) lights and plastic inserts below the lights that focus the light downward. not solid diffusers. those make too much glare. you can actually see up thru these if you lie on the table. the height is just high enough not to bang your head but it would be effective higher-up.

very good light. not really overkill.

dan

woody_968
01-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Dan, I have been considering trying to build something like that for my table. If you dont mind my asking, about how much did it cost to build one like that? And where did you get the plastic inserts?

Thanks.

houstondan
01-31-2004, 11:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Dan, I have been considering trying to build something like that for my table. If you dont mind my asking, about how much did it cost to build one like that? And where did you get the plastic inserts?

Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

we overbuilt the frame with 2x4 pine etc but the whole thing wasn't more than about $200, i think. lowes, home depot etc. the "lenses" are pretty standard as 2x4(foot) suspended ceiling inserts. if you can build a birdhouse then this is easy. i got a friend to do it. i built a birdhouse once. the birds just kinda hung around the yard laughing. they finally put little bird-size condemned signs on it. sad.

dan...maybe if you get the right kind of light-tubes, you can just lie naked on the table...not during a match, i suppose, and get a tan?

dan

JimS
02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
I hired a guy to build one for me based on houston dans ideas. It's a great light but was just about as expensive as getting the matching Diamond light. If you are more handy than I then you could build it for about 1/2 the cost of the Diamond light.

I STRONGLY recommend getting fixtures that use electronic ballasts. I didn't and the regular ballasts hummed loud enough to be disturbing...even though the box and the salesman said they wouldn't hum...they did, and I had to install electronic ballasts and it was not an easy job to do that with the table there. It's heavy! Guessing 150 lbs.

I also used 6 8ft bulbs and the kind of shades on the bottom as Dan recommends...the kind with little 1/4" (or so) square holes. The box is built out of 1/2" oak plywood.

GREAT LIGHT!!

houstondan
02-01-2004, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I hired a guy to build one for me based on houston dans ideas. It's a great light but was just about as expensive as getting the matching Diamond light. If you are more handy than I then you could build it for about 1/2 the cost of the Diamond light.

I STRONGLY recommend getting fixtures that use electronic ballasts. I didn't and the regular ballasts hummed loud enough to be disturbing...even though the box and the salesman said they wouldn't hum...they did, and I had to install electronic ballasts and it was not an easy job to do that with the table there. It's heavy! Guessing 150 lbs.

I also used 6 8ft bulbs and the kind of shades on the bottom as Dan recommends...the kind with little 1/4" (or so) square holes. The box is built out of 1/2" oak plywood.

GREAT LIGHT!! <hr /></blockquote>

and don't forget, unless they changed something...the diamond only has 2 pair of 8'tubes....we have 3. 2 all the way to the outside and one in the middle.

actually, there's room for 2 more pairs in there...i wonder......

dan