PDA

View Full Version : Moori Tips

Mike D2
02-01-2004, 12:19 AM
I just bought a Morri tip and it was an ok hit. I thought that it hit a little soft for a M. I had some one cut it dow so there are two layers left. I was just wondering if that really changed the hit or is it just in my mind, because now it hits great.
Mike

Dagwood
02-01-2004, 01:50 AM
If you're wondering if cutting down the amount of layers on the tip effects the way it "hits", then the straight out answer is, yes.

Personally, if you were looking for it to hit more solid, I would have opted for the med. hard tip. That's what I've had on my cue for the past two years, same tip and I haven't had to do anything to it aside from picking it every once in a while to get the glaze off of it. The shape hasn't changed at all. Also, cutting down the layers on a layerd tip reduces it's life, as it compresses faster. Whereas it's not too big a deal with a normally priced tip, a Moori is probably the most expensive tip on the market, (rightly so IMO), and it's not cost effective to cut it down and have to replace it sooner. I digress though. When it comes time to replace the existing tip that you have on there, and you liked the way it played, my suggestion is to try the med hard. You might like it, and you won't have to cut it down to get the right feeling hit that you are looking for.

Dags

Mike D2
02-01-2004, 07:41 AM
I tried looking for a med-hard Moori and I had know luck. All the places I look on online just sell soft Med. or quick. If you could give me a website that sells them that would be great.
thanks

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2004, 09:19 AM
I find the Moori tips to be a grade or fraction of a grade softer than the other layered tips I've played with. I believe the bulk of the professional players use hard tips, and that's enough to convince me that's the flavor to aspire to, hence I use hard tips on everything. The Moori-H
simply, imo, hits like a true MH from the start, and gradually hardens as layers are reduced. Yes, cutting the tip down does change the hit, but it only makes it more to my liking, harder. It'd be your gamble in investment, but I'd recommend using a Moori H left as tall as you would normally have one installed, enjoy the play from it, and then let your stroke adjust to the increasing hardness as the wear factor creeps along.

As far as finding MH Moori tips, I would suggest Ebay cuz I really do not think that there are any sites selling them since the Moori 3 has evolved. I could be wrong, but check Ebay. If they are around you will find some there...sid

tateuts
02-01-2004, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike D2:</font><hr> I tried looking for a med-hard Moori and I had know luck. All the places I look on online just sell soft Med. or quick. If you could give me a website that sells them that would be great.
thanks <hr /></blockquote>

They don't call them "medium hard" anymore. The newer "mediums" are the same as the old medium hard. Even Moori's are not 100% consistent from tip to tip, although they are better than most. I think cutting down the tip takes out some of the cushion and firms it up.

Chris

Popcorn
02-01-2004, 10:05 AM
quote:
"As far as finding MH Moori tips, I would suggest Ebay cuz I really do not think that there are any sites selling them since the Moori 3 has evolved. I could be wrong, but check Ebay. If they are around you will find some there...sid"

I got this e-mail the other day, some of you may have gotten it also. I don't know who this person is, some of you may. I just wanted to pass it along but like anything, beware.

MOORI CUE TIPS

-FREE SHIPPING!-

Prices

1-25 $10 each

26-60 $9 each

61 + $8 each

You may mix between slow, medium, quick, and the new Power Tip!

Free shipping on all orders to the continental U.S. and free insurance on orders of 10 or more tips!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Tony DeAngelo and I import Moori tips direct. For years I have supplied some of the best known cue makers and cue mechanics in the US. I have been in business for nearly 20 years and sell on eBay under the username terrydavenporter- check my feedback and feel free to contact me with any questions. I may be reached via e-mail at ajd1@adelphia.net or at my retail store by telephoning 814-234-2453. You may purchase a single tip if necessary, and I will pay to ship. I accept Pay Pal and all major credit cards (Visa, MC, Discover, and Am Ex). I also stock the hard to get Molavia Tips.

NOTE: I will be at the Valley Forge Super Billiards Expo this year and can fill your orders in person.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Tony DeAngelo

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2004, 10:28 AM
That's interesting, thanks Popcorn! I'm considering trying at least one of those power tips just to know, and free shipping with that price makes that feasible(imo) sid

Popcorn
02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I was going to post it the other day but I was worried about posting rules. It may be usefull information for the board members though, but if the BD. decides to delete it, so be it.

tateuts
02-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Here's another good source. I bought Moori III's from Nielsens Billiards on E-Bay - 10 for $9 each or he will sell smaller quantities for $10. Super reliable, free shipping too.

Here's his E-Bay store:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=11113657&amp;ssPageName=L2

Just search his site for "Moori". He imports them himself as well. He goes by "joerackem" on E-Bay.

Chris

boalt06
02-01-2004, 12:43 PM
thanks for the answer. I jsut wanted to ask: what does "IMO" mean. and, on average, after how long should replace the tip

Dagwood
02-01-2004, 02:30 PM
IMO: In my opinion

As far as when you should replace the tip...the general rule is when it has compacted enough, or you have scuffed it down enough that the thickness on the sides is less than a dime's width. My personal preference is when the tip is too hard to get effective draw without misscueing, then I'll replace it. It's been 2 years now with the tip that I have on there, and it's just getting to be time to replace it.

Dags

Mike D2
02-01-2004, 07:54 PM
how does the talisman med. hit. Is it harder then the med. moori

recoveryjones
02-03-2004, 01:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike D2:</font><hr> I just bought a Morri tip and it was an ok hit. I thought that it hit a little soft for a M. I had some one cut it dow so there are two layers left. I was just wondering if that really changed the hit or is it just in my mind, because now it hits great.
Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Mike, A few weeks back (and several hours of playing) I bought a new Moori 3 medium tip. It felt kinda soft to me and I was miscueing a lot. At one time I was going to have it trimmed some more, however, didn't manage to get it done because I didn't run into my cue tip installer.He's really good at tip shaping and I still need to learn how to do( a little better) it myself.

I play a lot of pool and as a result the tip eventually hardened up a considerable amount from its softened newish condition.I chalk up every shot and miscues are really rare now.I'm glad I didn't have it trimmed as now it's hard and I've still got a lot of mileage left on it.I burnish the sides briefly before playing and the tip has really maintained its roundness.Having said that, many people like to trim some bulk off and I say do whatever it takes to get the hit you like.

In summary,you might want to experiment and give it a longer breakin period next time as I believe that it will definitly harden up. The Moori 3 is the best tip I've ever used in my life.... It's SWEET. Take care, RJ