PDA

View Full Version : tx-ex rule q - resolved

houstondan
02-01-2004, 08:09 AM
ok, talked to randy at padre and it seems the online version has a misprint. whoever was typing had to write "another rail" about 3 times in a row and just added another "another" on where the c.b. had to hit. randie's personal copy has the right language so i expect they'll correct that on-line.

by the way, this is the first time i've met randyg and i learned what a lot of you already know; he's a heck of a nice guy. does a very professional job running the tournament and has this "capitan-on-the-bridge" aspect once the tourney gets going. the seas are churning, the masts are straining but he's just steady into the wind. good guy.

as to how i did on my first-ever experience with bar tables, the good news is that i discovered that there were some guys there that i could beat, not a lot but some. lotsa fun anyway. i'll be doin more of that. i entered in the "geezers and gomers" division since i is one and did a couple of mini-tourneys. could have been worse. it's a start.

dan

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2004, 09:04 AM
"geezers and gomers" division

Was that your terminology or the actual label put on it? How did that work,,,just buy into another mini tournment???sid

SPetty
02-01-2004, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> ...so i expect they'll correct that on-line.<hr /></blockquote>Or not. It's been that way on-line for years now, even through a site redesign...

Glad you had a good time, and hope the weather cooperated! How big was this tourney?

houstondan
02-01-2004, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "geezers and gomers" division

Was that your terminology or the actual label put on it? How did that work,,,just buy into another mini tournment???sid <hr /></blockquote>

the proper term is "seniors division". they had 3 separate tournaments:open, women and seniors(age 55+...although i look much younger..but then my eyes are failing ).open started fri. evening and the other 2 saturday morning. my first match was at 8-(f-ing)a.m. saturday and i was in the car headed back by 4pm. randy keeps that thing on schedule like a german railroad.

i don't think the scheduling would allow someone to enter multiple divisions but i didn't ask. friday they ran mini tournaments, 25$ entry open starting at about noon. i did a couple of those. i think they were 10-person paying 150/100$ for the first 2 places in each. race to 7. bust out of one, go sign up for the next one.

the tables need $1/game. i guess i used maybe 40-50$ on quarters. randy also had plenty of extra tables set-up for practice or match-ups. i should mention that the equipment was good. better than i expected from hearing horror stories about bar boxes. the cloth, not simonis-type, was playing very fast which is my excuse for all those scratches.

dan

houstondan
02-01-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> ...so i expect they'll correct that on-line.<hr /></blockquote>Or not. It's been that way on-line for years now, even through a site redesign...

Glad you had a good time, and hope the weather cooperated! How big was this tourney? <hr /></blockquote>

weather was nice, s.padre island is pretty much always warm. i'm not sure what the field size was. randy said it was down some this year cause they had to book it on super-bowl weekend but next year they've gotten a better date.

spetty, thanks again, it was your posting here that let me know that thing was going on.

dan

SPetty
02-01-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> spetty, thanks again, it was your posting here that let me know that thing was going on. <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, I was kinda wondering about the lack of exposure I was seeing on this tourney, which is why I asked about it here.

Anyway, next time you're ready for a road trip, bring it on up to DFW - it's a lot closer than Padre...