PDA

View Full Version : Do Tips Have A Shelf Life?

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2004, 09:33 AM
All this talk about storing tips made me cutious if players consider tips to be possibly changed after a lengthy life of just being stored. I have a bunch of Talisman tips that must now be about 2 years old, and I am getting a personal stash of Moori tips soon, and wondered whether tips actually have a shelf life to consider. If I asked such a question at the PH I'm fairly sure that many would express that I'm being anal. Surely that would never happen here ;-)

Since I use hard tips and do not pick-scuff-shape them like many people do, my tips will last a year plus before I change one out. Many of the tips I now keep in my butter keeper in the frig, will be many years old, unless my tip install business picks up dramatically.

Do old tips play differently than fresh tips, and would you be concerned that you're tip installer was putting on a tip that'd been in storage for 4 years???sid

BLACKHEART
02-01-2004, 10:19 AM
As a mater of fact, I pulled out a little tackle box, that I used to take to tournaments, along with a lathe. I used a Le Pro & an Elk Master from there, that were 9 years old. They were just like new...JER

Popcorn
02-01-2004, 11:21 AM
I could picture tips drying out, but under normal conditions I would think they would last a long time. They do smell different when they are new but I don't know if that means anything. I have some old French Champions that do look like they would fall apart if you used them, but they must be 30 years old or more.