PDA

View Full Version : Moori III Test Drive

tateuts
02-01-2004, 01:35 PM
I bought some Moori III's off E-Bay ($9 each) and wanted to do a comparison with the old Moori's. So, I installed a Moori III medium on my spare Scruggs shaft and kept the original Moori Medium/Hard on my other shaft.

The Moori III Medium is actually a medium/hard tip. I think the old Moori Mediums were a little softer. The bottom line is the Moori III is virtually the same feel, performance, everything - as the old Medium Hard.

As far as claims of holding chalk better, I would say again they were about the same. Moori's have to be shaped right (for your stroke) to lessen the possibility of miscues. My theroy is that Mooris don't compress much on impact so the shape better be right.

I put one on a Predator shaft too (replacing a Sniper) and I was pretty impressed with the combination of Moori III Medium and Predator shaft. It's a pretty firm hit on harder shots, but gives you decent feel on soft shots.

Same old tip, new stamp. They didn't mess up the Moori which is a positive in itself.

Chris

Dagwood
02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the update on the moori tips. I have to replace my tip, and I used to use the medium hard tip. Now I know that with the MIII, I need to go with the M.
Thanks again.

SRpool
02-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I found the same thing. At the DCC I had a hard MooriIII put on my cue thinking it was the same as the old Moori hard tip I had been using. It felt like a phenolic tip! So now I am using the Medium Moori III and it is much like the old hard tip I had been using. Everything else about it is pretty much the same.

Sarah

woody_968
02-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the report. I hope to order mine this week.

tateuts
02-01-2004, 10:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> I found the same thing. At the DCC I had a hard MooriIII put on my cue thinking it was the same as the old Moori hard tip I had been using. It felt like a phenolic tip! So now I am using the Medium Moori III and it is much like the old hard tip I had been using. Everything else about it is pretty much the same.

Sarah <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Sarah,

I just can't imagine anyone wanting a harder tip than this either. It seems like a pretty good balance between a quality hit and decent feel. I think I'll order some hard ones for my break cue.

Chris

SRpool
02-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Chris,

The new Moori III hard seems like the perfect tip for a break cue. I have a water buffalo tip on mine right now and the hard Moori felt alot harder than the WB. It could just be because it was new. But it felt and almost sounded just like a phenolic tip.

just my opinion.
Sarah

tateuts
02-02-2004, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> it felt and almost sounded just like a phenolic tip.

<hr /></blockquote>

I wonder if they gave you a Moori "P" (Power) instead of a Moori "Q" (Quick)by mistake? The P is for break cues and the Q is supposed to be the new "Hard" tip?

I made the mistake of trying a custom made phenolic tip on my break cue. For one, it made my ears ring it was so loud. Then the cue ball was a knuckle ball and flew all over the place - I had almost no control at all with a phenolic tip. It sounded like shattering glass every time I broke. Great attention getter!

Chris

cycopath
02-03-2004, 03:16 PM
I put a phenolic tip on my Lucasi J/B with Arnot T3 shaft. I love it. You just have to take some of the power off or it will start leaving the table. It seems to me you get alot more ball action out of the rack with less power in your stroke.