PDA

View Full Version : Automatic safety stroke speed?

phil in sofla
02-01-2004, 06:56 PM
When playing 9-ball, my natural leaves (not playing a two way shot or deliberate safe, just missing) routinely leave my opponent a tough shot. Not always, of course, but it isn't unusual for them to have to try to play safe or kick 3 or 4 times in a row even when I didn't play them safe once. (It really wears them down

First I attributed this to the pool gods (and they are fickle). Everybody gets lucky leaves, and I was getting a few, nothing exceptional, and opponents tend to forget THEIR lucky leaves or rolls. But it seemed to be too common to be only luck.

I'm now thinking it may be about the speed of stroke I use in 'average' situations where nothing special has to be done. I haven't really calibrated my stroke to lengths of the table, so I can't say how many lengths equivalent I'm hitting. It feels about lag speed, which is a soft stroke, but well above pocket speed. It doesn't leave the ball hanging, and it seems to leave good separation.

That doesn't seem like it would be enough, but I don't have many other alternate explanations. It's either this, or my subconscious has a safety game I didn't know about. That's hard to believe, personally, but maybe it isn't impossible.

I've only drilled on one speed, the Monk's 2-5-2 shot or whatever it is-- make a hanger side pocket shot from center table and go 3 rails back to the center of the table for another hanger on the other side, repeat in reverse, repeat. That may be the speed I'm talking about for my average shot.

I'm still resisting the speed theory, since too many other factors in play would seem to resist that alone having such a noticeable effect. Yet I also resist thinking I'm subconsciously adjusting my stroke or spin to get to hook zones I'm not even thinking about or trying for, for that reason (it's just shape on the next ball in these cases). Thoughts on this?

woody_968
02-01-2004, 10:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr>Thoughts on this?
<hr /></blockquote>
Luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
02-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Phil,

Man, I wish I could do that!

However, Murphy's law of nine ball states that over the period of one's life, your good rolls will equal your bad rolls. Murphys second law of rolls is, as soon as you start bragging about your good rolls, especially in writing, your luck will turn.

The bad news is that, since you've had 40 years of good rolls, you are now in for 40 years of bad rolls.

The good news is, you've got a long pool playing life ahead of you.

Enjoy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

cheesemouse
02-02-2004, 07:04 AM
phil,

I'm convinced that the rolls even out but I also believe that the better player you are the luckier you get, and the reason, I think, you seem luckier is that, if your always selecting the correct shot for the situation the better players build in for the possiblity of the shot missing. Better players adjust their patterns, shot selections and the speed of their shots to account for the possiblity of the miss, it is not really negative thinking but more like buy insurance or more colorfully said "covering your a$$".... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
02-02-2004, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> phil,

I'm convinced that the rolls even out but I also believe that the better player you are the luckier you get, and the reason, I think, you seem luckier is that, if your always selecting the correct shot for the situation the better players build in for the possiblity of the shot missing. Better players adjust their patterns, shot selections and the speed of their shots to account for the possiblity of the miss, it is not really negative thinking but more like buy insurance or more colorfully said "covering your a$$".... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

TAP TAP TAP