PDA

View Full Version : Wore a Superbowl ring today!

bigshooter
02-01-2004, 10:32 PM
We watched the super bowl in a public place on a ten foot screen tonight and my wife noticed the guy in front of us had a super bowl ring on so I struck up a conversation with him and is name is Steve Avery (not the baseball player) and he played with the Steelers in Superbowl XXX against the Cowboys, he let me check his ring out and wear it for a few minutes, I didn't realize how HUGE those things are!
Anyway I don't think the guy was ever a superstar but it was pretty cool to hear the perspective on the game from a guy thats been there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
02-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Must have been an AFC Championship ring. The Cowboys beat the Steelers in that Super Bowl.

Kato

bigshooter
02-02-2004, 09:36 AM
It could have been but I assumed you got a ring just for playing in a super bowl but I'm not sure which ring it was but either way it was still pretty cool.

Kato
02-02-2004, 10:10 AM
You get a ring when you win the AFC or NFC and then a ring for winning the Super Bowl. Most guys won't even wear their AFC or NFC championship ring. Dan Marino once said he'd never wear his because it's a "loser's ring".

Kato

bigshooter
02-02-2004, 10:25 AM
If your a superstar like Dan Marino I could see why you might have that attitude but if your sort of just a regular guy that feels blessed just to have made it to the big show like this guy was then your attitude would probably be different.
And that seems sort of silly anyway if we use that logic then if you get second place at the World 9-Ball Championship then you would be ashamed to display the trophy in your pool room and would hide it in a drawer?

Kato
02-02-2004, 10:27 AM
I don't disagree with you there, especially about the trophy. You gotta admit though.........those rings are awfully gawdy.

Kato

bigshooter
02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I don't disagree with you there, especially about the trophy. You gotta admit though.........those rings are awfully gawdy.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Yes they are huge, it was pretty dark out in the audience so you could see the big screens and I was straining to read it when I checked it out or I might have figured out it was a championship ring instead of a super bowl ring but in all honesty I might not have known the difference anyway and as luck would have it they turned off the half time show and the guy I was talking to did a half time speech and from what I gather it was a blessing to miss the half time show anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif