PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS HOAX

JimS
04-22-2002, 08:43 AM
I received a virus notice from a friend last night and I deleted a file from my hard drive that is part of the java script program.

The virus notice is A HOAX!

If you receive a virus notice telling you to delete a file named jdbgmgr.exe don't do it. It's my understand that removing this file leaves the computer vulnerable to a virus!!

Now I need to figure out how to replace that file. Any ideas?

heater451
04-22-2002, 08:59 AM
Jim,

If you are running Win98 SE, I can email you a copy.

Send me a PM, if you want it.

stickman
04-22-2002, 09:11 AM
If your computer will allow you to restore to an earlier date, it should take care of it. Also, I always check at Symantec.com when anyone sends a virus alert, I check it out there. I've always preached to the wife to do likewise. She did the same thing as you about a year ago. (Another hoax) If you can find the virus hoax that was sent to you in the symantec security response search page, often it will tell you how to restore the deleted file. Tell us what the title was, and what the message was, and we will try to help, if you need it.

TomBrooklyn
04-22-2002, 09:36 AM
Jim, If you haven't emptied your recycle bin since you deleted it, it will be in there. Open up the recycle bin. It's probably on your desktop, locate the file, highlight it, and click on 'Restore'. Be careful, if in doubt scan for viruses with your installed checker and re scan w/ PC-Illen on some website I forget, do a search for it. Good luck.

Cueless Joey
04-22-2002, 09:58 AM
I live terror-free of viruses (or viri as some would call it) because I "freeze" my C drive. I use a software called Deep Freeze Pro. It is not an anti-virus but it is security software. What it does is "freeze" your c drive. Anything that modifies the c drive while it is frozen is temporary. Once you reboot the computer, the c drive goes back to the previous condition. If you want to check it, it's at DeepFreezeUSA.com.

JimS
04-22-2002, 10:46 AM
I was instructed, of course, to empty the recycle bin and I did. So that's out.

I don't know how to do a restore to a prior date. The file name is jdbgmgr.exe THANKS!

stickman
04-22-2002, 11:09 AM
Jim, I am e-mailing it to you. Just unzip and put it in the Windows/System Directory. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Or you could just unzip it to that directory. Duh /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif Sometimes I can be a little slow.

JimS
04-22-2002, 11:14 AM
I appreciate your help...but. I have no idea what unzip it means or how to put it in my system. I know how to turn this contraption on and not a lot more. I'll try to find out what to do when I get the email. Thanks very much for your help.

stickman
04-22-2002, 11:24 AM
You've got more mail. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

cheesemouse
04-22-2002, 11:44 AM
JimS,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I know how to turn this contraption on and not a lot more. <hr></blockquote>
LOL LOL~~~I nearly spit out my top plate on that one~~~~~~~been there /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
04-22-2002, 01:12 PM
I sent it unzipped already this time, along with instructions to reinstall it on your computer. Let me know if you have any trouble. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
04-22-2002, 01:15 PM
Read about the hoax here. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

JimS
04-22-2002, 09:19 PM
I....er...I mean WE got the file replaced. Thanks to all who gave advice and to Stickman who sent me an email with the missing file attached and included step by step instructions for installation but which I still needed help with...yep not elementary enough Stickman!. With the help of a computer literate friend I...er..we got it installed.

Thanks again Stickman...whom I must have amazed when I admitted I still use Version 1.0 of MS Works.

Chris Cass
04-23-2002, 04:21 AM
Hi Jim,

Deleted the program as you said to do. One question though. Is hitting the side of my hard drive with a hammer, really gonna make it run faster?

Regards,

C.C.~~Jim's helping me to become better aquainted with software the hard way...LMAO

JimS
04-23-2002, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Jim,

Deleted the program as you said to do. One question though. Is hitting the side of my hard drive with a hammer, really gonna make it run faster?

Regards,

C.C.~~Jim's helping me to become better aquainted with software the hard way...LMAO

Hitting the hard drive w/a hammer might not make it run faster but it will get it's attention!

Ya just had to make it public! I told you to delete that program and you did. YOu followed MY advice...about computers? What conclusions can we draw from that regarding your judgement?

Following computer advice from a guy that still uses MS Works Version 1.0!!

(I'm trying to get a "spin" going here but I"m having trouble getting the weight off me!)