PDA

View Full Version : Jeanette Lee's slow play

Wally_in_Cincy
02-02-2004, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy from previous thread:</font><hr> I watched Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant beat Jeanette Lee Friday night. 7-4 I think.

When he was on his last 9-ball, a difficult but very makeable cut shot, he laid his cue on the table and took a bathroom break. Jeanette says "Oh come on let's get this over with".

He came back 5 minutes later and nailed the shot. I don't what he was trying to do but I thought it was sort of rude. He knew damn well he was could make the shot.
<hr /></blockquote>

Just to clarify things, I talked to a couple of guys yesterday who played in the banks division, one of them being eliminated by Jeanette. They said she was playing extremely slow. They watched her next match and timed her. On one shot she took just under 4 minutes to shoot. So maybe Hillbilly had a reason to do what he did. I can't say I blame him.

Jeanette? Care to comment?

Kato
02-02-2004, 09:45 AM
That's unusual, Jeanette seems like a pretty free stroker to me. She sure didn't take that long to play one pocket, certainly not as long as some people take.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
02-02-2004, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> That's unusual, Jeanette seems like a pretty free stroker to me. She sure didn't take that long to play one pocket, certainly not as long as some people take.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Surprised me too, but I have no reason to doubt what I was told. I watched part of her match against Bryant and she did not seem inordinately slow, but I didn't see the whole match.

woody_968
02-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Well the only time I have been able to watch her play is on TV when they have a shot clock, so I dont know if she plays slow or not. But I guess if I would have to be stuck in a chair watching a slow player I wouldnt mind as much if the player looks like her. It would sure beat the heck out of the guys in my local room I have to set around and watch dilly dallying around the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRpool
02-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Many people were talking about how Jeanette was play slow during the banks tournament. I know she didn't play quite as slow in the 9ball. I'm not sure about the one-pocket. I think Charlie was doing what he did to put on a show and kinda give Jeanette a taste of the show she usually puts on. I do have to say though, Jeanette started taking a little more time playing 9ball in the last couple WPBA tournaments of the year. She was taking more time to double check everything about the shot. She started playing really good when she did that.

Rod
02-02-2004, 11:57 AM
I watched JL play one game of banks and I thought she was slow. I don't know if this was a first time for banks or not but that could be a reason.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
02-02-2004, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I watched JL play one game of banks and I thought she was slow. I don't know if this was a first time for banks or not but that could be a reason.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

That was my first thought but the observers I talked to were of a different opinion. Heck I've never played banks competitively and I surely would not take more than a minute for a shot. I would hope since she was entering the banks division she would get George or somebody to show her some strategy.

Frank_Glenn
02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I watched several of her matches and didn't see anything out of the ordinary in her timeing. She played quite well, I thought (and told her so).

Photoguy
02-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Another possibility could be that Jeanette was having back problems. It seems that when her back is acting up which happens quite often, she might slow her play down and not make too many fast or sudden movements. I have noticed that she is usually very free spirited until the back problems kick up. . . and even then, she is still the most gratious and generous person with the fans.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-02-2004, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Photoguy:</font><hr>.... she is still the most gratious and generous person with the fans. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, she was great with the fans. After she was eliminated she stuck around for at least an hour signing autographs and posing for photos.

Ross
02-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I watched a couple of Jeanette's banks matches and she would occasionally get stumped by a shot. At that point she would start shaking her head, muttering to onlookers, and look at the table for a good two or three or more minutes. She was clearly trying to figure out the best shot to take so that if she missed she wouldn't sell out. And she wasn't willing to shoot until she was felt that she had figured it out to the best of her ability.

I just think this is what you get when you have a VERY competitive person who is unfamiliar with the game. I'm sure it was frustrating for her opponents but I think she would have gotten knocked out earlier if she hadn't taken her time.

Ross ~ often stumped

Rod
02-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi Ross,

Yes that is what I observed also, I just didn't take the time to explain her adventure, /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but you did very well.

Rod