PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a spot??

dooziexx
02-02-2004, 03:28 PM
In 9ball instead of getting the 6,7,8, breaks or 2 games on the wire in a race to 5, etc try this: If you are the one getting the spot, if your opponent fails to pocket a ball (no safety play for him), you'll get ball in hand. Do you think the top money players in the world would give an average player this kind of advantage?

crawdaddio
02-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Yup....I'm an average player, and Efren could give me that spot and the 7 and mop the table with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DoomCue
02-02-2004, 04:08 PM
That's pretty much what goes on in the ESPN Seven Ball Challenge, except you are allowed to call one safety per rack.

Speaking of big spots, I've seen a guy by the name of Harold Dollar from Sanford, NC spot another guy every ball on the table. That's right, all the other guy had to do was make a ball! The catch was that Harold got the breaks. So Harold would break (and it seems he made a ball every time), and either duck with a good safety, get BIH and run out, or run out from the break. The other guy was a horrible shot, which obviously helped Harold (and was the main reason he could get away with giving up such a spot). Harold killed him. No way would one world class player give that up to another world class player (although I did see Neils Feijen giving up the world to Hennessee the night the lights went out in Chesapeake).

-djb

woody_968
02-02-2004, 04:14 PM
I think they would give it to most average players and like it! Lets face it, with alot of "average" players they could break and give up ball in hand, come back to the table with a few balls left and win the game. Sure some average players would try to play them safe, but between still getting out when played safe on, and the racks they would go ahead and run from the break, the pro would still win.

I saw a guy give the last 6 to a local player on a bar table one time and the roadie ran over him like he wasnt even there! Granted the local guy wasnt real strong, but the last 6 is alot of weight on a bar track.

9ballbc
02-02-2004, 04:26 PM
I believe a top notch player would still win with that spot unless he was playing a really good player that could run out at least 7 to 9 balls consistently. Wade Crane (I believe his real name was Billy Johnson) use to offer a more unbelievable spot: $100 per game, he gets the break, if he doesn't run out then you win, you don't have to play...the catch is you had to play at least 4 games. That means he knew he could break and run at least 50% of the time. That's strong. Buddy Hall tells the story in "Rags to Rifleman", and I believe he says Wade didn't lose very often with that bet!

cycopath
02-03-2004, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9ballbc:</font><hr>Wade Crane (I believe his real name was Billy Johnson) <hr /></blockquote>

Reverse that. He's real name is Wade Crane.

Mike D2
02-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Jose Parica will because, remember he never misses.

Voodoo Daddy
02-03-2004, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> In 9ball instead of getting the 6,7,8, breaks or 2 games on the wire in a race to 5, etc try this: If you are the one getting the spot, if your opponent fails to pocket a ball (no safety play for him), you'll get ball in hand. Do you think the top money players in the world would give an average player this kind of advantage? <hr /></blockquote>

[b] This goes back 15 years or more. The Philipino contingent was in Miami playing in a tournament I was directing. After that event was over Efren played a good player from the NE that was living down here in South Florida the call 7/8, the first 10 breaks and 10 games to 25. If that isnt a strong spot I dunno what is...Efren wins 25-18 &lt;if my burnt-out memory serves correctly&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
02-03-2004, 06:37 PM
VooDoo, that has got to be one of the strongest spots I have ever heard.

shoop1969
02-05-2004, 09:32 AM
I have seen a friend of mine beat a ball-banger with the following spot:

$20 a game, must play at least 10 games. My friend gets the breaks, but gives up every ball on the table. Oh but wait, the banger doesn't have to make a ball to win, he only has to legally shoot a ball into an end rail.

Cueless Joey
02-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I've seen Efren give a local shortstop the orange crush and the breaks.
Efren beats the 10-ball ghost easily. Heck, even Andam dared Tang Hoa to bet on the 10-ball ghost. Tang Hoa did not bet on the ghost.
But, that's a big spot. Does it include not making a ball after the break?
A friend of mine robbed one guy giving him the one-out but my friend broke and got ball in hand after the break.

UWPoolGod
02-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Last night after the bar tourney one of the players started playing a banger who thinks he's decent. They have played in the past $10/rack when the banger can bank the 8 one rail or better, and my friend has to play bank 8 2 rails or better. Man he has that 3 railer in the side down pat.

So they start playing and pretty soon the banger keeps doubling up and they are soon playing for $160 on top of the $160 the banger already owes my friend. My friend says its the last time he's doubling up. Well he ends up banking the 8 in the wrong pocket...$320 scratch-8 there. So now it is even and the banger wants to play for $100, last rack. My friend pulls out a 3 rail kickshot cutting the 8 the last 4 inches into the pocket. The banger just throws his cue on the table and it slides off into a stool. He actually paid. Still it was funny...and sad at the same time. ironic.