PDA

View Full Version : NFL Exposed For What It Is

PQQLK9
02-02-2004, 11:32 PM
For years NFL marketers have preyed on the sensibilities of the nation to sell their sponsors' products. They have appropriated sex, patriotism, war and even the tragedy of Sept. 11 as commercial vehicles, and used them all to peddle more Coors and cars. You can always count on the NFL, during any legitimate national outpouring of sincerity, to seize on the topic of the day and bend it as a selling tool, along with breasty cheerleaders, Britney Spears, and faux-militarism, in search of higher ratings and ad revenues. A 30-second Super Bowl spot now costs $2.3 million. So for the league to be suddenly shocked and indignant at the behavior of a bunch of MTV entertainers it hired in partnership with CBS to boost its cool points and halftime ratings is utterly disingenuous, and craven.
Exactly what did the league expect when it rented the MTV culture
The NFL tried to use MTV, and got used back. The league wanted it both ways, was willing to borrow some edgy, sexy entertainers from the music network, but wanted them to water down their performances and material to suit the league's image and mainstream network audience. The league sells sex as subtext, in the form of cheerleaders, or halftime shows with scantily clad girl singers, or in suggestive beer commercials. But it doesn't want breasts on center stage. That way it can claim the Super Bowl is safe viewing for the kids.

Good for Jackson and Timberlake for putting a breast smack in the middle of things: The NFL finally got a little payback for its manipulations. That's what the FCC investigation, and your own common sense, should conclude

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6870-2004Feb2.html

stickman
02-03-2004, 02:43 AM
I probably shouldn't have been shocked by the MTV produced halftime show, but I was. I'd like think to think that the NFL management team was also. In my mind they got more than they bargained for. Perhaps the NFL and I were both nieve?

Jim