PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned my shaft with my SonicCare

UWPoolGod
02-03-2004, 11:50 AM
So I was sitting around last night watching TV and figured it was time I did a good clean on my new cues shaft. I take it out of the case and it is terrible. I tried to find a tooth brush but didn't have one since I have been using a SonicCare lately. I have a two brush set so I took the one I usually don't use and put it to the test. I also did not have any bleach, as I heard that several people brush their with bleach. The only thing I could find in my new apartment was liquid Cheer detergent/w bleach. So I mixed a little in some hot water and went to work. Took a little while but eventually most of the blue came off. Still some buried in the deep grains, but overall did a fantastic job. Then I wiped it down with some lighter fluis as someone else suggested and more blue came off on the towel which may have been the underlaying oil/chalk I didn't get up. Even cleaned the ferrule with the SonicCare and it is back to gleaming white.

I just really need to rememeber to clean the shaft every day and keep a towel during play to wipe it down. Any otehr suggestions that haven't been covered yet? Do you guys use straight wite bleach to clean it?

nAz
02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
lol i tried the\at with an old electric TB worked great for me...
Try using that Oxyclean cleanser on the ferrule it gets it really clean.

UWPoolGod
02-03-2004, 01:43 PM
HAHA yeah I wish I still had my old Snoopy electric toothbrush....man i miss that guy...*sniff*

I may swing by the store today and get some real bleach on the way home. Have to do some shopping anyways.

nAz
02-03-2004, 01:45 PM
don't forget to floss

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stickman
02-03-2004, 04:20 PM
For every day cleanup, I keep a micro-fiber towel in my cue case. It works great. They are very inexpensive, come in a bundle of five, and can be purchased at Wally World in the automotive section. It cleans with no chemicals, and can be washed and reused as good as new. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Bassn7
02-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Heat a damp rag in the microwave and then gently sprinkle with 'Comet w/ bleach'. Cleans and keeps the shaft white. My shaft looks like new after 8 years.

Chris Cass
02-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Bassn,

I clean mine once a yr. Anymore than that is concidered abuse. IMHO I don't use powder and keep my hands clean as possible. Now, if forced to use powder than I will wipe the shaft down with a slightly damp paper towel.

Q-Clean is excellent for cleaning the shaft if your going to use a harsh treatment. Followed by the McMagic micro burnishing sys from McDermott cues.

This cleaning has always been something for pool players to discover. Some chemical you could wipe on and off quickly without damaging or swelling of the pores. Another is leather wraps and Irish linen too. Something that would make the leather come out looking wet but without the feeling of grease in your hands. Linen, to make it bright again without swelling the threads. One day this will all be possible. Sooner or later someone will come up with the way to go. Till then, drive on my friend. We need you explorers to help us through these trial and error times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Frank_Glenn
02-04-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This cleaning has always been something for pool players to discover. Some chemical you could wipe on and off quickly without damaging or swelling of the pores. Another is leather wraps and Irish linen too. Something that would make the leather come out looking wet but without the feeling of grease in your hands. Linen, to make it bright again without swelling the threads. One day this will all be possible. Sooner or later someone will come up with the way to go. <hr /></blockquote>

Quick-Clean will clean the shaft, the linen, but not leather or at least I don't think I would use it on leather. Most leather says not to dry clean, and QC has a dry cleaning agent in it. I have cleaned wraps that were dark grey to black that turned out white &amp; green! YMMV