PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer v.s. Grey Ghost

Jay
02-04-2004, 12:38 AM
I have been searching these forums for opinions on these two break/jump cues. After hearing all the hype on Sledgehammers, I went out an got one cheap and after using it for quite some time now I have yet to see why it is so special. Well anyways I was looking around online and I came across Pete Ohmans Grey Ghost and thought that it was a very clean looking cue. Well I have seen Omen cues in action but I have never seen a Grey Ghost in action. I would like to hear some opinions on this cue and also a comparison between the two because to be honest with you Im thinking about replacing my Sledgehammer! Thanks

Rich R.
02-04-2004, 05:09 AM
I have both. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I purchased the Sledgehammer first. I play in APA 8-ball leagues and after using it for a while, I found that I could not control the cue ball as well as I would like, with the phenolic tip on the Sledgehammer. If I hit the cue ball too far off center, I would miscue.

Then I was given the opportunity to get one of the first run of Grey Ghost cues. At that time, Pete was using a very hard, leather, tip on the cue. That tip gave me the added cue ball control that I needed, for breaking in 8-ball.

When it came to jumping balls, the Sledgehammer, with the phenolic tip, is the clear winner.

However, in the APA, jumping with other than your playing cue, is not allowed. Therefore I use the Grey Ghost for the APA and I use the Sledgehammer if I am playing in a situation where jump cues are allowed.

I also should add, I believe Pete has since switched tips on the Grey Ghost and he is currently using phenolic tips. Although he offered to switch mine, I declined, because I like the Grey Ghost with the leather tip, for my purposes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The bottom line is, neither cue will automaticly give you a monster break or superb jumping skills. For those, you will have to practice. I'm still working on both and I have a long way to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
02-04-2004, 09:44 AM
I've used Sledgehammer and it didn't do much for me. I've also used Omen's Ghost and I like that better. I'm buying a Ghost but it will be ebony and match my Omen play cue. I'm sure the Omen is not the end all break cue, neither is the Sledge or the BK.

Kato

Jay
02-04-2004, 08:14 PM
I was thinking about getting one of his newer break jump cues that arent stained grey. The reason why I am thinking about getting one is because Im going to have him make a cue anyways. Im not really to happy with the sledgehammer. I personally think that its not all its cracked up to be. The jump section is too short for me and the tip doesnt hold chalk very well, so I really have to chalk it up or else I stand a chance at miscuing..... I was looking at the specs of the Grey ghost and I noticed that the jump section is 47 inches which means that the handle for the rest of it is only 11 inches. Does this mean that you have to hold it all the way in the back????