PDA

View Full Version : Jose Parica

Voodoo Daddy
02-05-2004, 10:56 AM
I been lucky enough to read the BD article on Jose Parica, after reading I have come up with several conclusions. He truly is overlooked as one of, if not the best $$$ player of the last 15-18 years here taking down who he has. His tournament career is nothing but solid and he is not a spring chicken. I saw him play in the senior event last year in Naples and thought to myself "he cant beat Nick, Nick is stealing"...well Jose won that tourney like Grant took Richmond. He played in a 2k added 9-ball tournament I held in 1986 or so and ran away with that as well. I always liked to watch him play but now feel that he may be one of my favorites. Now I ask...how long should he be overlooked by the industry for a HOF nomination? I'm not pitchin for the guy, his cue does that real well!!

Voodoo~~~knows opinions are like... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rich R.
02-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Parica is definitely one of my favorites to watch play. Such a sweet stroke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-06-2004, 12:11 PM

Keith Talent
02-06-2004, 01:14 PM
I found that article interesting, too, but what got my attention most was that Jose did a lot of grousing, I thought.

There were some real sour grapes about being in Efren's shadow -- says Efren only beat him when he wasn't ready for the game somehow; that HE gets there the easy way, and seemed to sneer a little that Efren goes in for flashy 4-rail shots; and that he lost to JJ at Open mainly because he couldn't take the slow play.

But I guess I wouldn't want to bet on Efren against him, considering that chip on the shoulder, and the helluva smart game he plays, of course.

Fat Ivory
02-06-2004, 01:21 PM
I watched JP lose to Busty at the last Camel stop in Denver. He loosened his cue, looked at me and said (of Busty) "big break, little heart". Now I never believed that Busty has little heart; you can't beat Jose that way. And I don't think Jose believes that either, just a tough loss.

In response to the original poster, JP is not "overlooked". He's one of the finest shotmakers ever - and I mean EVER, but could, in my ever-humble estimation, stand to improve table management decisions. Pure HOF material.

RailbirdJAM
02-06-2004, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> I played in the Falcon Tour with Jose last October 03 and I like his style very much. It was very 'polished' - is the best word I can find. I saw him loose to Mike Davis. Why did he loose? Jose has no break. It is as pathetic as McCready's break, whom I also saw in the tournament. Efrin is barely one step above Jose in breaking IMHO. If Efrin and Jose had a break in 9 ball!!<hr /></blockquote>

E-f-r-e-n, as his name is most commonly spelled, is a living legend, no doubt about it, and has a huge following everywhere he goes. People gather around his table and just marvel at his talents wherever he's in action. He's actually kind of shy, and I think he'd rather be playing chess than pool sometimes. He's a great chess player! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is "pathetic," Whitewolf, is the whole Jose Parica article (IMO). It paints a different image of the Jose Parica that I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I spoke to Jose Parica about the article at the DCC, and he definitely does not view himself as in "Efren's shadow." The picture on the cover page was not very flattering of Jose (IMO). Jose has a sweet smile. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jose doesn't, however, get his just dues. When he beat Efren 10 to 3 in California last year, nobody bothered to publish the score, and Jose was very aware of it. If Efren had come out on top, it would have been on every front-page pool media outlet. If Jose is in Efren's shadow, it is in the media's eyes, not Jose's, and that's a fact. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Oh, Whitewolf, Jose has never been loose with Mike Davis. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The almighty break, many times, is the determining factor in a match. Each table has a "sweet" spot. Some players are able to find it and run with it. Some of the best breakers I've seen as of late are Rodney, most recently Danny Harriman, and Johnny Archer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hope to see you on the tournament trail, Whitewolf. I don't recall seeing you compete in the Falcon Cue Tour last season. Are you planning on participating in the upcoming Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour, formerly known as the Falcon Cue Tour? Keith and I will be there, and he'll be bringing the "pathetic break" with him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RailbirdJAM

Ralph S.
02-06-2004, 07:03 PM
I agree with ya 100% Voodoo. I had mentioned this also in a post awhile back. I really feel that Parica was done a grave injustice for not being inducted to the HOF.

BCgirl
02-07-2004, 02:29 AM
I watched Parica play Ginky and Tony Robles about 2 years ago in NYC, the only time I've had the privilege of watching him play live. I have to say that I was absolutely amazed. His game was quite simply remarkable. No flash, just good decisions and sweet, sweet play. It amazed me not to see him at the world's at Cardiff.

While I say his game was remarkable, It struck me that there was something lazy in some of his play. I have to say I was heartened by his weaker (but effective) break, because it gave me hope :-) He had an off-hand attitude, though, and this gave his opponents chances. Not many, but enough perhaps to explain why Jose has such a record in money games, but doesn't have the tournament ranking that Reyes has.

It's always difficult to sum up someone's game from one viewing, but the article confirmed so many things about JP's game.

Now what would I give for a front row seat for Jose vs Efren?

lol

JC

recoveryjones
02-07-2004, 03:24 AM
I just read the Paricia article you were talking about....great article about a great player.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/current_issue/jan_04/

Thanks

Mike D2
02-07-2004, 10:25 AM
It was still wierd that he said all that stuff about himself. All he did throughout that hole article is tell how good he is. And when he looses it is only because he was not ready. Well I think when jose looses it because the person he played against played a little better then him. And even if he wasn't ready that can't happen to, but not every time you lose. I still think he is a great player probably one of the best, but he can be beat.

Cueless Joey
02-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Jose's too lazy to practice.
He's been to tournaments when he hasn't hit a ball for weeks. But, when he gets up for the game, he's a killer. In 97, he drilled everybody.