PDA

View Full Version : My 73' Eldorado convertible!

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 12:05 PM
My cousins husband,Joey, owns one of the biggest car shops in Brooklyn and phones me to tell me he has a gift for me-well, lo and behold, a flatbed truck arrives with a 73 Eldorado convertible on it-nice shape,no body rot,needs two new big a$$ front whitewall tires,brand new top,all solid,no body work-little TLC--anyways, we go to start it and my husband is pouring gas into the carburetor, well, all of a sudden I hear a "pop" and see my husband on fire,container and all-I freak, jump on my husband, pull the hat off his head and start kicking kicking snow all over his leg-well, the container is out in the street and leaking gas and as the gas is leaking, a trail of fire is burning headed right towards my house and my two other cars-now I panic and like a jerk, I throw a drop cloth on it-well that catches fire-OMG-so I run and get shovels and start throwing snow in it-thank God for snow-the fire finally goes out-I've never seen anyone on fire, but let me tell you, I think I had a heartache!
Moral of story-DONT DO THIS AT HOME-use starter fluid!:):):)
But the sound of that motor was like music to my ears!:):):)
Carol~will be cruising soon in her Eldorado! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
02-05-2004, 12:37 PM
My gawd Carol...that sound like it could be a skit in the new Meet the Parents movie. LOL Hope everyone is alright.

If it was a movie your other two cars would have exploded when the fire got withing 5 feet of them...setting off a chain reaction and taking out your house after that. Rememeber...never play with matches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi Carol,

Congrats on your new car. Those are sweet old cars, I've owned a few old Cad's.

I hope hubby is ok, were any burns just minor? Never Ever have an open container near a car when it is primed. A spray bottle on direct spray works fine. Hubby is a fireman? LOL Never stand real near or over the engine either. I've seen plenty of those hiccups some worst than others. Usually the throttle is wide open or a fair amount, that only adds to a lean condition, lets in more air and POP. It burps that very flamable liquid up and out! Besides people don't know for sure if the timing is set right and if the valve train is good shape. Those things can cause a backfire through the carburetor. Ok enough preaching, enjoy your car and take that crispy fireman along with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifLOL JK, really I hope he is ok and it only scared the crap out of him and you.

Rod

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi Rod,
He's an electrician who THINKS he's a firemna!ha ha ha ha-yep-hope he learned a lesson-no bad burns though, thank God-hair a little singed and side of ny hand a little burnt!And your absolutely right-backfire right through the carburetor!Unbelievable-Thank goodness none of my daughters boy friends were around-they'd really be like "Your parents are crazy!" ha ha ha
Thanks for caring-he's fine-I told him just leave the damn thing alone now,ha ha ha!
Have a great day!
Carol~feels like history has repeated itself!ha ha ah /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm LMAO-I just want to say, at that same time, there was some kind of city bus accident a few blocks from my house, so now there's about 4 media helicopters flying overhead-well, with all the black smoke, they started turning towards our way and Im yelling "just go away!" ha ha ha
We're all allright-thanks so much!Never a dull moment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care!
Carol~going to buy a fire extinguisher! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
02-05-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm just happy to hear that both you and Jim are OK.
I don't even want to think about what could have happened.

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 01:10 PM
We're cool, Rich,
You would have laughed your a$$ off ,seeing me running around like a chicken without a head-I do that anyway! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
See ya soon!
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
02-05-2004, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> ...Never a dull moment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif...<hr /></blockquote>

why does this not surprise me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

500 cubic inch V-8?

Rod
02-05-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.swiss-limousine.ch/images/cad73eldocvt_1.jpg

Yep I belive 500 inches. It's a big one!!! LOL

UWPoolGod
02-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Wow I had a '78 Ford Thunderbird in high school and I thought that was a boat. It had a 350 I believe.

Rod
02-05-2004, 04:35 PM
What you want a boat, now here is a boat. LOL 59 Caddy

http://www.conceptcarz.com/imgxra/forum/59%20cadillac%20eldorado%20biarritz.JPG

UWPoolGod
02-05-2004, 04:41 PM
I'd drive it if it wasn't pink...not very mannish. LOL

Rod
02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
http://www.59caddy.com/images/59Cadillac-1.jpg

lol

PQQLK9
02-05-2004, 05:05 PM
http://www.ovenall.com/artcar/images/010712_B.jpg
Remimber Super Fly /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nAz
02-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Im Glad he is ok.

Sweet car!! come pick me up!

err how much gallons to the mile will you get? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
02-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Now there's a sled! No Nick, I don't remember Super Fly for sure. Is that the car or a person? I remember a guy that might have been Super Fly. He use to strap himself on top of a 707 as I recall he was the Human Fly.

Rod

PQQLK9
02-05-2004, 06:13 PM
"Classic blaxlpoitation film is still one of the best to come out of the genre. O'Neal gives a fine (but always funky) performance in one of the last movies before the genre ate itself and became self-parody. Terrific soudtrack
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/78/220478.jpg
Amazon.com
The pinnacle of blaxploitation movies, the 1972 Superfly stars Ron O'Neal as a drug dealer who wants out of the business but decides to take out some enemies in the process. With its criminal hero, one might almost think this could be an existential crime movie, but no...it's really just an... Read more

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Superfly-1020576/

Barbara
02-05-2004, 06:22 PM
That's a '76. Figure on about 8 miles to the gallon.

Barbara

Barbara
02-05-2004, 06:26 PM
OMIGOD! What the heck was he THINKING??!!

Well, I'm glad you kept your wits about you and put it out!

Whew! Tell him I said hi and I wanna see this boat at our first event!

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
02-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Ahhhh '73 was a good year...LOL

Geez what the hell was Jimmy thinking! I picture the whole scenario and laugh because it sounds like something out of The Simpsons! (Of course the laughter only comes after I learned everything turned out ok!)

It definitely looks like a sweet car, I love it! Leave it to you to find a silver lining after the chaos: "But the sound of that motor was like music to my ears!" ROFL

dg-in-centralpa
02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear everyone is ok. At first I was waiting for the punch line but none was to be had. My father had a '67 Cadillac 2 door that was loaded. That was almost the size of a battleship.

DG - glad you're ok

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks Duane,
There is one funny thing-when I was talking to Joey, I said "wheres the papers" he says "I dont have them yet, the car was confiscated" I say "from where" he says "Brooklyn' well, maybe I lived in NY too long or watched too many movies but I tell my husband "grab those keys and open that friggin trunk right now and if I smell any kind of odor, I'll burn it where it sits!" LMAO-no smell, thank God!
Carol~still checked the grill for hooves /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Definitely a Seinfeld episode Wendy!
miss ya,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 10:52 PM
You got it,Baby!
A real engine!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Thats it,Rod!
Woo-hoo!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Hey Naz,
Between the 8 dollar bridge toll and probably 100 bucks to fill it, we'll get you on the Harley! We;re headed south,okay?Thanks, Naz!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Its probably from "Mary Kay" ha ha ha
Carol

CarolNYC
02-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Cm'on Barb,
Give me some time- you know me-it has to run PERRRRRRRRRFECT!
Carol~now owns her own new toy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_Mon
02-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Rod,
Back in 1976 I worked part time at a Shell service station, remember those? Anyway, my boss's brother owned a Cadillac dealership and had 2 of the last 200 Eldorado Convertible made. These were a special edition of white with red interior Eldorado's with a hokey plaque on the dash commemorating the 200th Annivesary of the USA and the demise of the Convertible. The interesting part was that these cars made for instant collector items. The bad part was that the dealers were limited to what they could sell these new cars for. This dealer "sells" these cars to his family members for the maximum amount allowed by law, about $12,000 IIRC. Then he buys them back and puts them on the lot for $22,000 as a used car. He wouldn't even risk driving them. He put them on jack stands in the shop and ran the odometer up to a couple hundred miles.

Paul Mon

Rod
02-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Paul,

Yes I remember Shell very well. Your story reminds me of one very similar. The owner of a Porsche dealership had a new Black 930 on the showroom floor. Back in the 80's those cars went up to 75 K or more used. The sticker was at 49K so he had a lady friend of mine drive the car to Yuma Az about 600 miles. Then he sold the car, over 75K as I recall.

I did own a 911 but I missed out by one day buying a 930 for 28K. All it needed was new timing chains and tensioners. It was wholesaled to a dealer in Calif, man that was cheap.

In the 80's a friend went to look at, what was advertised a 62 chevrolet for $2000. When he got there it was a red 62 Vette. When he drove that to work on Monday, needless to say I was amazed after he told me the story. I've got some good deals but none that sweet.

Rod

CarolNYC
02-07-2004, 01:56 AM
I liked the Porsche,Rod,
Very cool!
Carol:)

CarolNYC
02-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Hey Paul,
I know there was a '73 Eldorado used as an Indy pace car or something like that-this one I have ,will have classic or antique plates-I think you can drive it only so many miles a year-a friend of mine belongs to a antique car club outta Brooklyn-he'l give me the word on it!
Take care!
Carol:)~think the insurance is really cheap!:):):)

CarolNYC
02-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Rod, Its amazing that you posted this picture cause, at this time, the color is turquoise-why in heavens the guy painted it this color, who knows! It has brown interior-the old reg says it was yellow-UGH-but I told my husband the perfect color would be cream with maybe some brown pinstriping-I think that would look sharp-I'll try and take a picture and show you-my kids have those photophones ,cause I dont have a digital camera:(
Thanks for posting the picture!
Have a nice day!
Carol:)~gas prices will probably be 4 dollars/gallon by the time I drive it,ha ha ha!

CarolNYC
02-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Well,
I got a picture(not the greatest)-but,not bad as a gift,huh? Thanks everyone for the well wishes!
Have a great day!
Carolhttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/nesemipro9bl/images/img0173.jpg

Barbara
02-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Girl, you need the "mile wide'" whitewalls for that baby!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-07-2004, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Girl, you need the "mile wide'" whitewalls for that baby!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah. Gangster whitewalls

http://users.techline.com/leiske/arcwwc99/whitewalls.jpg

CarolNYC
02-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah,
Then I'll really BLEND! ha ha ha
Carol~also putting in the godfather theme horn! ha ha ha

CarolNYC
02-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I'd LOVE to have that-I had a mint 62 Caddy-black w/ red leather interior-lent it to an old boyfriend and he totalled it-what a jerk!
Carol~doesnt even let her husband drive her car ha ha ah /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif