PDA

View Full Version : Doomed after an extended layoff

bigjohnjt
02-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Hello all, this is my first post. Glad to be here. I have just started shooting again (3 months ago) after an 8 year lay off (married to an evil #&@*? that hated pool, just got divorced so now I'm rampaging again!). I seem to be doomed now, I can make just about any shot I want and know how to play position well, I have really good form and a good stroke, I have an extensive knowledge of the mechanics of pool. BUT I seem to be having a horrible time putting it all together for some reason. I know I have some form of an ADD going on at the table but I am working on it. It just seems to be a true test to put everything together consistantly. If I am on a run, it won't be long before I will let something slip in the way of form, position, speed or just plain out miss. It is truly embarassing, run eight balls then miss the 9 on a straight in shot 5 inches from the pocket or something silly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Any suggestions on practicing or anything else for a player in this shape after a layoff? Is this common?

bigshooter
02-05-2004, 09:46 PM
I am in a similar situation, I just started again myself after several years away from the game.
It is frustrating to know what to do but not be able to do it.
I understand what your going through, I hit four or five balls beautifuly then all of the sudden I hit a few like I've never had a cue in my hands before.

The only answer I have is time, shoot as much as you can and pretty soon you'll begin to fall into a groove.

Try not to pressure yourself to perform right away just remember why you love the game and try to have as much fun as you can and it will happen naturally after awhile.

I think its a natural tendency to get frustrated when your trying to make a comeback and get your game to what it once was, When we we're first learning each new level brought a new sense of satisfaction so it kept us motivated to keep working and have fun but since we've already been at a high level and are trying to get back it is a whole different story, instead of having the satisfaction of learning something new and being able to execute we are trying to execute something our mind already has learned and it doesn't have as much nataural satisfaction built into it so we push ourselves to get back into the game too fast which can cause a real stumbling block.

Just stick to the fundamentals and keep hitting balls,
practice a lot but don't overdo and have fun,
ITS A FUN GAME! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boalt06
02-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Two things my friend:
I am sorry about your divorce. But there is no better remedy than a sport for which you have a passion. (I can think of few as good as pool). Secondly, I would be happy that you can go on runs of 8...I'm thrilled when I hit 4!

Good Luck

Rojo

bigalerickson
02-05-2004, 11:28 PM
I just got back from an 18+ month layoff due to a back injury, and im struggling to get a good break and find the dam one ball. Not that I want to whine or anything, I'm just sayin....

Anyway, isn't it great to be back!!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Foxtrott
02-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Yes, I have a great suggestion .Get a table and make pool 1st nature and it will come back .Takes time babe your only back 3 months and you want it to be the way your mind remembers it . Its like a bike we can all jump on and ride but I know I would need practice to pop a wheelie.Hang in there it will return

JimS
02-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Slow down. You may be speeding up as the rack progresses. Getting excited, jumping from shot to shot. Get a good pre-shot routine going and stick to it including a taking a deep breath while chalking and looking the table over again visualizing the remaining shots. When you take the deep breath let the tension go out of your shoulders and arms. Take your time.