PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the shaft

boalt06
02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
WHen cleaning a shaft with murphys soap, is it Ok to use water? can you guet the shaft a little wet.

Thanks
EG

Foxtrott
02-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I dont mess with them . I just hand them to a pro when they get on my nerves.I am not sure but I have seen alot of guys screw up their shafts.
I mean Ill use a cue cloth but I have had cues for close to 15 years without a warped shafts so I think a pro cleaning and sealing is a good thing .
Ive never warped a shaft except for my 6 ball break cue and that was due to the pretzel form I made it into on a break.
I suggest a Good pro for them but Im sure Im just parinoid to some degree.

Vagabond
02-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Howdy,
I use tap water to clean the shaft.If the shaft warps I will buy another cue.At one point it may warp.I recommend three step cleaning process- Cue clean powder to clean,plastic wraps to burnish and some liquid(cue silk) to give smooth feeling.Never use Azax to clean the shaft.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <font color="purple"> </font color>

JimS
02-06-2004, 06:34 AM
My experience is limited but in the last 3 years I've not had any problems using Cue Clean and water. Using water has not hurt my shafts.

I don't get them soaking wet but a wet rag has not caused damage. The water does raise the grain so after it dries I use Cue Smooth papers or very fine sand paper like 1000 or 2000 grit and then burnish with leather or the finest, yellow, Cue Smooth paper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif