PDA

View Full Version : Help on how to remove super glue on butt's forearm

clarence
04-22-2002, 04:29 PM
I accidentally dropped a few drops of super glue on my cue butt's forearm and did not notice this till the superglue has already hardened up a bit already. Tried using acetone (nail polish remover) to get if off but did not work. Tried alcohol as well but to no avail. Please help !

04-22-2002, 05:22 PM
You have a problem that will best be handled by a cue repair person with a lathe. The only way to fix this is to very carefully sand off the dome that the little drop of SG left. I would suggest starting with 600, 1200 and then buffing out the haze with polishing compound. If your not familiar with the process involved, give it to a professional. Once the super glue has dried I don't think you'll remove it chemically without causing additional damage to the finish.

clarence
04-23-2002, 02:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jack Justis:</font><hr> You have a problem that will best be handled by a cue repair person with a lathe. The only way to fix this is to very carefully sand off the dome that the little drop of SG left. I would suggest starting with 600, 1200 and then buffing out the haze with polishing compound. If your not familiar with the process involved, give it to a professional. Once the super glue has dried I don't think you'll remove it chemically without causing additional damage to the finish. <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the reply. For the polishing compound what do you recommend. On my usual polishing or waxing the butt to keep it shiny I use Karseal Carnauba wax , will that do ?

04-23-2002, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. For the polishing compound what do you recommend. On my usual polishing or waxing the butt to keep it shiny I use Karseal Carnauba wax , will that do ? <hr></blockquote>
Turtle Wax makes a white polishing compound which has just a touch of abrasives to remove very light scratches in the clear coat finishes on todays autos. The Karseal can be put on last but will not take out the scratches or haze left by sanding.

JimS
04-23-2002, 07:54 AM
I'm not about to "recommend" anything....I have no idea what I'm doing....but I do know that Super Glue remover is available in hardware stores. I have no idea how it will effect the finish on the cue. Perhaps you'd want to try it on the butt next to or under the bumper to see what effect it has on the finish. I have used Super Glue remover on the ferrule and it worked great.

TonyM
04-23-2002, 10:31 AM
Jack says: "Once the super glue has dried I don't think you'll remove it chemically without causing additional damage to the finish."

Actually, believe it or not Jack, but there are commercially available products that remove super glue that are "water based" and will not harm most finishes!

I think that either Zap or Hot Stuff make such a product and it is called "De-bonder". And it works well. Takes several applications, but it is not aggressive to many finishes.

But it would be wise to be careful regardless.

Tony