PDA

View Full Version : BCA vs APA 8-Ball

sandgnat
02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I played APA 8-ball for about 5 years. Now I am about to join a BCA 8-ball league for the first time. I was reading the BCA rules on-line and noticed a couple of major differences between the two: 8-ball on break is not a win in BCA and it is not necessary to sink the 8-ball "clean" in BCA. Am I reading these right? Any other major differences? Thanks!

Fred Agnir
02-06-2004, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sandgnat:</font><hr> I played APA 8-ball for about 5 years. Now I am about to join a BCA 8-ball league for the first time. I was reading the BCA rules on-line and noticed a couple of major differences between the two: 8-ball on break is not a win in BCA and it is not necessary to sink the 8-ball "clean" in BCA. Am I reading these right? Any other major differences? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>The 8-ball in APA doesn't need to go in clean either, so that's not a difference.

It's open after the break, regardless of how many balls and what suit went in.

Scratching on the 8-ball is not a loss unless you pocket the 8-ball on the same shot.

You call your pocket. That is, it's a call shot game like straight pool (not to be confused with "call all the friggin' details, which has never been a written official rule anywhere). This allows you to call a safety and pocket one of your balls for whatever strategic reason.

The BCA leagues can use whatever format they want, but the majority of them use a matrix where you play several people per night, one or two games each. The majority of BCA leagues also play by BCA rules. However, the individual leagues are free to modify the rules to fit their area. So, some of the rules written above though in the BCA rulebook may or may not be enforced by the individual league. Understand however, that in higher level tournaments and especially the National 8-ball Championships, the BCA rules as written in the BCA rulebook will be enforced.

For example, the double-hit rule which is in effect at the Nationals, but might not be at the local level. It's never in effect in the APA.

Fred

Iowashark
02-06-2004, 01:22 PM
And you don't have to mark the 8ball (in most cases anyway) in BCA only call it. In the APA you have to put a marker down to mark the designated pocket. I've had guys 'dump' against me by doing just that. "oops, I forgot to mark the pocket, I guess that'll teach me." Oh yeah, less politics in the BCA.

Ralph S.
02-06-2004, 07:45 PM
BCA is far better than APA. You will enjoy it.

cuechick
02-06-2004, 08:53 PM
You also only lose if you scratch AND make the 8, if you scratch but the 8 stays on the table it is ball in hand...you also have to call the pocket ( but usally only if it is not obvious)
and my favorite rule, you can call a safe (you should call all safes) and MAKE a ball. This can be very handy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sandgnat
02-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, all! One of the main reasons that I quit the APA was because of the politics and sand-bagging. Also, the league operator had TOO MUCH power over everything, and the entering and tracking of the scores were always kept in an absurdly secretive manner. Of course, money often disappeared at season's end as well.

I really like the local BCA league operator so I think I will give it a go. I swear that a special point was made to me regarding the "clean" 8-ball when I started in the APA league years ago. I guess I never questioned it. I went to the APA rules and verified your observation regarding my misinformation, Fred. Thanks for straightening me out on that! I can't believe that I went to the Nationals in Vegas twice without ever being clear on this rule! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pelican
02-07-2004, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> For example, the double-hit rule which is in effect at the Nationals, but might not be at the local level. It's never in effect in the APA.

Fred

<hr /></blockquote>

Mornin' Fred. Just to advise, the double hit is a foul in APA. See current rule book page 50. I know because I play APA. Not so much because I want to. It's kinda like the old story 'bout the guy in the card game that keeps losing. His friend leans over and whispers "These guys are a cheatin' ya". "I know", he replies, "but it's the only game in town." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif