PDA

View Full Version : Has Black Belt Billiards worked for you?

Pelican
02-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I know several posters here have said they bought the book Black Belt Billiards. I was wondering if those that have gotten it felt they've had a great improvement in their game since using it.

Thanks.

TommyT
02-06-2004, 01:31 PM
I've got it and think it's a great book of drills. I haven't been trying to earn the belts but just picking drills that interest me. It's well written and would be a worthy addition to anyones billiard library. I don't believe any one book can create huge improvements in ones game. The only way to surely improve is table time and lots of it!
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-06-2004, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> I know several posters here have said they bought the book Black Belt Billiards. I was wondering if those that have gotten it felt they've had a great improvement in their game since using it.

Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

It depends on how much you use it. I was going through it diligently (several hours a week) for 2 or 3 months and my game improved noticeably, if not "greatly".

It's more than worthwhile.

=k=
02-06-2004, 01:57 PM
pelican, black belt billiards has really helped me.. i have several drill books but this one gave me the goals that made me stick with the drill long enough to make it soak into my pea brain.. if i miss a certain shot on leauge night i go back to drill book and find shot and try to improve on my old scores.. best buy for the money far as i am concerned........

Brian in VA
02-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Pelican,
I believe it's made a profound difference in my game by giving my practice sessions, which work out to an hour once or twice a week, far more value. As a result, when I'm playing matches in league I'm prepared to make more shots and I am. My teammates and many of my opponents have seen it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Worth every penny!
Brian

oldfart
02-08-2004, 06:18 AM
I received my book about 2 weeks ago.I started from the beginning doing 1 hour sessions 2 or 3 times a week.The firsts drills were quite easy but get progressively harder so you can build on your skills as you go.There are enough different drills to keep you interested.I also tried the rating thing in the back. It may be accurate if doing it on a 9'with tight pockets but ratings are inflated on my 8' home table.

CaptMorgan
02-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Well, I've looked at buying this book for long enough, you guys have talked me into it. That and roaming through their website for the past day or so. So thanx for the input, I know I didn't start this thread but it's definitely influenced me to give this book a shot.

woody_968
02-08-2004, 10:18 AM
As far as if it will greatly improve your game it sort of depends on you definition of great improvement, and your current skill level. Obviously the lower someones game is when they start out the faster they will see improvement. And if you use the book you WILL see improvement. Even advanced players would be helped by this book IMO. As mentioned earlier the frist few sets of drills are easy, but they take you back to the basics which alot of times will help people find small flaws that they have just learned to compensate for.

Looking at the cost of most of the instructional material out there I would say this book (if you will use it) is one of the best buys in the billiard industry! You need a little knowledge of fundamentals before starting, but this will give direction to practice setions which is much needed for most people.

IMO the only way you could spend your money more wisely would be to get lessons from a qualified instructor. And even then the book would still be needed as a good way to practice what you have been taught.

Sorry for babling, I guess I never really answered your question. I have only had it for around a month and would say it has really helped me. I feel like I am at that place in my game where a little improvement takes a lot of work, so I guess I would say the improvement has been great.

Qtec
02-08-2004, 12:02 PM
If reading a book would make you a better player, we would all be top pro's. LOL

Q

CaptMorgan
02-08-2004, 12:38 PM
True but obtaining as much knowledge about the game as possible and applying that knowlege along with a little God given ability will. To believe that the world's best players never picked up a book or watched a video is dumb.

sandgnat
02-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Captain,
I believe Qtec's comment was meant to be tongue in cheek!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CaptMorgan
02-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I kinda regreted typing it afterwards but maybe someone else looked at it the same way I first did so, oh well. No hard feelings