PDA

View Full Version : Layered Tip Question?

bigshooter
02-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I have used LePro's for 150 years but am going to try a layered tip.
Which Moori and which Talisman would be similar in hardness to a LePro?

Also, I have always changed my own tips.
I just cut the old tip off, sand off whats left so I have a clean ferrule to glue on to , superglue a new tip on, trim the edges with a razor knife, wrap the ferrule with tape and sand the edges of the tip flush with the ferrule, cut about 25% of the tip off then simply use sandpaper and shape the tip to my liking.
Is there anything special I should do or not do when installing a layered tip? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Troy
02-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Le Pro tips are known to be inconsistent in hardness from one tip to the next, but I suggest a Talisman Pro Medium.
You can do the job yourself, just use caution that you do NOT pull against the layers as this will weaken the bond. Also, don't forget to prep the glue side of the tip. For adhesive I only use LoctiteŽ Gel. Avoid using a felt marker on the tip side as it can effect the layer bond.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> I have used LePro's for 150 years but am going to try a layered tip.
Which Moori and which Talisman would be similar in hardness to a LePro?

Also, I have always changed my own tips.
I just cut the old tip off, sand off whats left so I have a clean ferrule to glue on to , superglue a new tip on, trim the edges with a razor knife, wrap the ferrule with tape and sand the edges of the tip flush with the ferrule, cut about 25% of the tip off then simply use sandpaper and shape the tip to my liking.
Is there anything special I should do or not do when installing a layered tip? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

WaltVA
02-07-2004, 12:20 AM
I used LePro's for years and always tried to select the hardest ones. When I made a change in search of more consistency, after a couple of experiments I settled on the Talisman WB Hard and have been happy with them ever since. They hold chalk well, don't mushroom at all, and require very little attention after the initial shaping.

Your installation sounds OK to me. IIRC, the Talisman website advises NOT to use felt markers or much moisture on the sides of the tip, as it may react with the glue and cause delamination. I burnish with a little saliva and a piece of leather and get a nice-looking tip.

Also, Talisman tips can be ordered undomed or domed; I've found the domed ones are just about the right height for me without cutting them down much at all - just glue them on, shape to a dime radius, and play.

HTH,
Walt in VA

stickman
02-07-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm very fond of the Talisman WB Med. I have a Moori on one of my sticks but I don't have it broke in, so I don't think I can fairly evaluate it yet. This is a very good summary for tip installation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://www.talismanbilliards.com/FAQ.asp

Sid_Vicious
02-07-2004, 10:46 AM
I'll wager that if you install a Moori medium tip that you will be convinced in that tip. I used LePro tips and I still like LePro tips but I have to select hard ones from the box because of the consistency issue. The Moori tip plays AS CLOSE to the hit of a good LePro as I have ever found in any tip, I am sold. Talisman is a good hitting tip, but I find daylight-to-dark differences in how the Moori moves the CB.

You already have gotten good install hints. Play well my friend!!!sid

Barbara
02-07-2004, 10:55 AM
like you, I used to play with LePro tips. Unfortunately, LePros vary immensely in tip hardness. It was a challenge for my Cue Man to find a comparable tip in hardness to replace the ones on my shafts.

I went with Mooris after that, but managed to wear them down within 6 months with the Tip Pic. (let's not go there)

Then I tried Talismans and am very satisfied with them. I liked a harder LePro and found that the MH Talisman was comparable to the hit i was looking for. Plus, I haven't bothered my Cue Man for new tips for over a year now whereas I'd be knocking at his door every 3-4 months with the LePros. And, you can get Talismans already shaped to spare you some time.

I highly reccomend them.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
02-07-2004, 11:04 AM
"I went with Mooris after that, but managed to wear them down within 6 months with the Tip Pic. (let's not go there)"

BTTK(formerly)...You've done well Grasshopper ;-) sid

festes
02-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Noted your comment regard the use of tip pik on Moori. I recently installed a med-hard Moori and like it, but wonder what's the best way to rough it up to avoid the miscue?

almer
02-08-2004, 02:10 PM
I have used all the mentioned tips but i find hercules medium much like lepro.I have got one on my cue now that is 15 months old.I have hercules hard on my break cue and like it very much.It is hard to put a layered tip on manually.I use a lathe and rough shape with a dremel with a cutter.Leave the lathe turning fairly fast,the dremel at high speed works great&gt;Do not leave it on too long or it delaminates.almer