PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Pool Videos

BeanDiesel
02-07-2004, 03:50 AM
As some of you guys might have noticed, I wrote a response to the subject brought up by Wally_in_Cinci regarding pool on espn.
Well, I didn't get any response. So I assume that most of you didn't notice it. So this is what I wrote. Please respond. Thank you.

"I used to record some pool shows on ESPN since I got my TV tuner card last year. Until about 20 different matches, I quit for a while since I ran out of hd space. now that i've got a new hd, i'm looking forward to recording some more.
my friend asked me to share some of them with him via p2p. i noticed some other people are interested in downloading them as well. i'm thinking of putting up a web page containing links to those files. i wonder if any of you guys are interested too. and one more thing, do you think it will in a way harm espn? i mean, do you think people will say that i make people not watch pool on espn no more etc? i dont want to spoil things up since we are expecting more pool on espn."

dmgwalsh
02-07-2004, 06:10 AM
Is that a tivo thing you are talking about? What's a p2p?

Ken
02-07-2004, 06:16 AM
As for harming them, probably not. It is illegal and might get their attention. Who knows what they might think of it? I would not do it. Don't rattle their cage.
KenCT

Nick B
02-07-2004, 12:47 PM
P2P = Peer to Peer.
Check out Link.
P2P article (http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2000/11/24/shirky1-whatisp2p.html)

It's a method for computers to share data aka files etc.

Nick

sack316
02-07-2004, 01:29 PM
I think it would be great to have a site to share pool videos. I've been looking for something like that for a while to try to find some hard to find type things too.

P2p is peer to peer, like Kazaa, morpheus, and other programs like that if you've heard of it. I think what he's talking about is going to be more of a board like this one except linking to video files of matches rather than test threads.

BeanDiesel
02-07-2004, 04:47 PM
well, it's like tivo i guess. except that i store those files in my computer, as .avi.

bigshooter
02-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah with all the heat going on about file sharing I would stay away from that ideas myself.

logixrat
02-07-2004, 11:51 PM
First off, I'd love to know more about your setup. I have 100gb of free space I could use to record such events myself. By all means, post back here or PM me on the specifics.

In regards to your original question, I don't think ESPN will be very supportive of your decision to MASS share the footage with the entire internet community. They might even get ugly if distribution got large enough, and it got back to them. The chances are slim, but then again, look at how fast stuff spreads on the net.

On the other hand, if you take the footage and put it on a P2P server that you host and PASSWORD PROTECT the data so only TRUSTED sources could download the content, then you have some control over who gets the footage. This would be a good way to share the videos with your buddies and family members w/o bringing alot of heat on yourself. Sorta like recording a tape on VCR and letting a buddy or two borrow it....just in a cleaner format.

By the way...you can trust me...hehe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bigbro6060
02-08-2004, 09:26 PM
The best place to share Pool videos is the Pool Direct Connect Hub

poolandbilliards.dyndns.org

lots of people with many pool videos, i have quite a few myself

PQQLK9
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
This is what comes up there.
No hay nada aqui para nadie ???

bigbro6060
02-09-2004, 01:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> This is what comes up there.
No hay nada aqui para nadie ??? <hr /></blockquote>

lol it's not a webserver address ! haha

it's a Direct Connect server!

Download Direct Connect program then connect to that server !

PQQLK9
02-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Duh /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif thanks

BeanDiesel
02-09-2004, 01:12 PM
sweet /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perk
02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Bigbro,

What direct connect program would you recommend? Is there a specific one to look for?

bigbro6060
02-09-2004, 11:19 PM
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/