PDA

View Full Version : Room Owner Holds a Gruge for 21 Months -- Pathetic

Troy
02-07-2004, 09:23 PM
I guess I simply do not understand.
Until May '02 (21 months ago) I was employed as Manager of a Pool Room. On Monday following a large tournament (100 players), the owner and I got into a tiff (He wanted to re-hire an employee who had been fired for threatening me with bodily harm) and he requested that I return his key. I understood his request to mean I had been dismissed so I filed for un-employment. His response was that "No one will ever collect un-employment from me" so I filed for arbitration and won. I was also banned (86'd) from the Room.

Fast forward to today -- At Tony Annigoni's request, I went to that Room to assist with a tournament, Laptop and printer in hand. I considered that the owner would continue to ban me some 21 months later, but what the hell I thought, he couldn't be that petty, could he ???

Unbelievably, the owner walked up to me and simply said "You have to leave". No conversation about "How are you" or anything. I gave him a big grin, shook my head, and packed up.

Tony A. was visibly upset and extremely embarassed that I was treated like that. Numerous players were also very surprised at the treatment.

Guess I won't try again to return to that Room. There are enough other Rooms in the area.

Troy...~~~ Thanks for letting me vent... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
02-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Troy...It's a sad day for billiards when good tournament directors or assistants, are not allowed to come in to do their JOBS! They are hard enough to come by, let alone, not to utilize them when they are available. Hope you get situated somewhere else where they will appreciate your dedication to the sport, and your talents!

Scott Lee

Ralph S.
02-08-2004, 12:48 AM
That really stinks Troy. Why did he hire that other person back anyhow? Seems like bad management to me.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-08-2004, 08:49 AM
That is pathetic.

Sounds like he is behaving like a petulant 2 year old. Everybody gets older but not everybody grows up. You're lucky you don't work for him anymore.

Dagwood
02-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a room owner up where I'm from in CT...he's constantly holding grudges over people. Alot of the time it's because he gets punched out by them. Not that he doesn't deserve it...he probably averages a bottle of Segrams VO in a night, and he gets beligerant. Either way, this room owner that you described sounds just like him.

Dags

Troy
02-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Owner said since he couldn't get employees and since the fired guy threatened to commit suicide, Owner wanted to re-hire him. Now we know why Owner couldn't get employees.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> That really stinks Troy. Why did he hire that other person back anyhow? Seems like bad management to me. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
02-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I read your post pretty carefully before making this post. Just to play devils advocate, why would you be out of work so long, that you would be collecting unemployment? Did you try to find another job? How long were you actually out of work? As far as not being allowed in the pool room, that is the owners business, if he does not want you there, don't go there. You wanted the other guy out, because you said he threatened you. How did you feel about the other guy having lost his job because of you? By the way, why did he threaten you? I think you knew you were barred before you went, and the embarrassment your friend was caused, was your doing. Did you tell him there may be a problem before you went? Did anyone contact the owner to see if everything would be OK with you coming?

We are only hearing your side of this. I have been on a few juries and it was amazing the different stories the participants are capable of telling. Until you see the evidence, you don't know who to believe. One thing is consistent though, they both tell a story that casts them in the best light, it is always the other guys fault. Nothing personal, like I said, just playing devils advocate and I have no idea what really happened, But if you made the post, portraying yourself as a victim to get sympathy you will probably get it. People are nice and will say, "There there, life can be unfair" Just as long as you are honest with yourself about the truth of the situation.

tateuts
02-08-2004, 12:16 PM
You did not handle the situation well.

There is a lot of mistrust, mutual disrespect, and hard feelings between you and the room owner. Since you knew in advance there was a problem, you should have contacted the owner before showing up to ask permission to run the event.

If he declined, you could have asked Tony to call to try to work things out for you. If he continued to decline, you should have stayed away.

As a business owner, I can't allow employees to dictate to me who will be hired and fired based upon their personal likes and dislikes. I don't mind their input, but I'll not have them choose who will work for us.

Usually these situations resolve themselves in the same manner yours did, unfortunately.

Chris

Troy
02-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Chris &amp; Popcorn...
Thanks to all for the feedback.

One, I was helping Tony Annigoni with his tournament. Second, in a way I was also helping the Room Owner by trying to make the event a success.

As I said, I considered it a possibility that I was still 86'd after nearly 2 years, but didn't really think the Owner could possibly be that petty. How wrong I was. Tony agreed in that he also doubted I would still be 86'd after so long.

The tiff came about when I asked a fellow employee when he was going to finish something that was his job to complete. He went ballistic. Room Owner's wife overheard most of the tirade and fired the guy. About 4 weeks later the Owner complained that since he could not get employees and since the fired guy suggested he would commit suicide, the Owner wanted to hire him back. I just didn't want someone behind me who had threatened me with bodily harm even if that threat was probably empty. The fact that the other employee had been fired was really none of my concern or doing. After all, he brought it upon himself.

What I think really set the Owner off on me was that I won the unemployment arbitration case after he said "No one will ever collect unemployment from me". I didn't really collect that much as I became employed at another room fairly quickly. I treated it more like a "moral victory" than a financial coup.

Troy...~~~ Has also been on juries... The truth usually wins out.

tateuts
02-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Troy,

The point is, if you would have called and asked him, then he would have felt like it was his decision to allow you to come back. At least you would have known how you stood. Just showing up was there after the prior events probably elicited a knee jerk reaction.

Chris

Popcorn
02-08-2004, 02:21 PM
"I didn't really collect that much as I became employed at another room fairly quickly. I treated it more like a "moral victory" than a financial coup."

Sounds like you more wanted to get even with him.

"As I said, I considered it a possibility that I was still 86'd after nearly 2 years, but didn't really think the Owner could possibly be that petty."

I am sure he felt the same way about you when you tried to collect unemployment you probably did not need just to cause him trouble.

It is his room and if he does not want you there stay out, and you knew that before you went there.

Billy
02-08-2004, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I guess I simply do not understand.
Until May '02 (21 months ago) I was employed as Manager of a Pool Room. On Monday following a large tournament (100 players), the owner and I got into a tiff (He wanted to re-hire an employee who had been fired for threatening me with bodily harm) and he requested that I return his key. I understood his request to mean I had been dismissed so I filed for un-employment. His response was that "No one will ever collect un-employment from me" so I filed for arbitration and won. I was also banned (86'd) from the Room.

Fast forward to today -- At Tony Annigoni's request, I went to that Room to assist with a tournament, Laptop and printer in hand. I considered that the owner would continue to ban me some 21 months later, but what the hell I thought, he couldn't be that petty, could he ???

Unbelievably, the owner walked up to me and simply said "You have to leave". No conversation about "How are you" or anything. I gave him a big grin, shook my head, and packed up.

Tony A. was visibly upset and extremely embarassed that I was treated like that. Numerous players were also very surprised at the treatment.

Guess I won't try again to return to that Room. There are enough other Rooms in the area.

Troy...~~~ Thanks for letting me vent... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

not to take sides but usually there's two sides to any story

pathetic you say ... but makes me wonder what the proprietor has to say in his defense

it may be just a matter of your first sentence,maybe you just simply don't understand

hope it wasn't just a matter of he insisting that you use the Sardo /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jmo