PDA

View Full Version : Ewa Mataya Lawrence in Chicago on 2/7

Scott Lee
02-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Unbeknownst to me (because I was out of town and didn't see the tv news Friday, or read the Chicago newspapers yesterday), Ewa Mataya Lawrence was in Chicago, to do a four hour exhibition at the Brunswick Home & Billiard store, in Wilmette. Having just returned from my week-long clinic at Illinois State University, I wasn't even aware that Ewa was in the area. By shear coincidence, I happened to be in the Edens Plaza shopping center late yesterday afternoon, and stopped by to see the newly opened Brunswick Home & Billiard store. I managed to catch the last hour of her show, and was impressed with her poise, expertise, and sense of humor! I have known Ewa for many many years, and even saw her at an exhibition in my town of Bozeman, MT, about 10 years ago, where my 12 yr old son had a chance to play a game with her! Her show in Chicago yesterday was just as entertaining, and she was extremely personable and friendly. She is a stunning woman, and known as the "Striking Viking" (see her website, www.strikingviking.com (http://www.strikingviking.com)), since she is originally from Sweden (she has lived in the U.S. for the past 20+ yrs).
I have to say, I was surprised at the small crowd. There were perhaps 50 people watching her, and milling around the store. I only caught the last 45 minutes, so there may have been more earlier...but many stayed around to get an autograph or a photo with her. She certainly is a credit to our sport, and I'm happy that she has been voted in, as the latest entry in the BCA Hall of Fame (she gets inducted at the BCA Trade Show in Las Vegas the first Saturday in April)! She is still a great competitor, and I wish her the best in the next WPBA event in Tunica, MS!

As a footnote, Allison Fisher will be doing an exhibition at the ACUI Regional Collegiate Pool Tournament, being held Feb. 18-20, at Southern Illinois University/Edwardsville. Any CCB'rs around the St. Louis area should take the opportunity to see her at that campus. The best collegiate players from around the midwest (including several of my students from Illinois State) will be competing for a chance to advance to the national ACUI tournament in April.

Anyone in the Chicago area can get a chance to see my own show, The Traveling College of Billiard Knowledge, this coming Tuesday, Feb. 10th, on the Illinois Institute of Technology campus. I will be performing over the lunch hour, from 11a-1p, in the new Campus Center, and the show is open to the public! I hope any CCB'rs from the area can make it. If you do, please introduce yourselves, if I don't already know you!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)

dmgwalsh
02-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Scott- It's too bad they didn't promote her appearance a little bit. I heard she was there earlier when they just opened.

What is the address of the place where your exhibition is? I might skip lunch and drop by Tuesday. Dennis

p.s. our league is Mondays at the Palace.

tateuts
02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Scott, how are you? Looks like the web-site is coming along - enjoyed it. Have you checked out the new boards at A-Z billiards? Actually, pretty lively over there now too.

Chris

Scott Lee
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Dennis...To get to IIT, take the Dan Ryan to 31st. St. Go east to State, and south on State 2-3 blocks. IIT's new Campus Center is immediately on your left. You can't miss it...it really stands out, archetecturally! Hope to see you there!

Scott