PDA

View Full Version : your most feared to happen in a pool cue

justbrake
02-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I bought a helmstetter cue 18yrs. ago and when I pulled it out of the closet I have found it had warped both shaft and butt, now I just bought a meucci cue about 4 months ago straight from meucci with 2 black dot shafts it was perfectly straight when I got it(but now)rolled it on the table yesterday and found the shaft has a wobble already
is this due to there splicings, do predator shafts do the same or maple ones are these more vulnable to warp then others! and another question is it better to buy an old pool cue 10 or more years old and know its history without a wobble or being warped then to buy a new que that just came from the factory!or custom shop as to the wood that was used to make it.

Pelican
02-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Sounds to me more like storage related warp. Humidity, wide temperature range, improperly supported, etc.

CarolNYC
02-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Its funny you mention your meucci shaft-the same exact thing happened to my nephew-its brand new-I told him to take it down to Superbilliard expo and bring it right to Meucci-just a thought!
Good luck!
Carol~plays with a helmstetter /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SRpool
02-09-2004, 01:36 AM
The same thing happened with a whole shipment of Meucci's our pool room received. If you take the shaft or send the shaft to Meucci they will take care of it.

Sarah

Wally_in_Cincy
02-09-2004, 07:31 AM
What the hell, I'll throw one in.

Strong local female player lost her Meucci in a divorce. Saved money for a year to buy a new one. Shaft warped in about 6 weeks.

Some folks here still think Meucci is the only cue to have /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NH_Steve
02-09-2004, 07:48 AM
One night after long evening of pool in a downtown pool room about an hour from home, I headed out to my car and started off down the long main drag that the room was located on. It was the main drag of this city of 150,000 or so -- and at that time that street was the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night, as young people used to drive back and forth in about a 20 block loop -- cars and pickups -- and the sidewalks -- loaded with testosterone -- and girls, so much so that the police couldn't really make them go away (it took time to do that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Anyway, I had to run the gauntlet of about ten red lights before I got on the interstate towards home, and naturally as I stopped at each one, the cars next to me would hoot and holler and instegate -- but I was well trained to ignore them /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At about the 5th or 6th light, the guys or girls in the car next to me were really hanging out the window pointing and yelling something at me, and finally a word or two that I understood drifted through my defenses, and I warily opened the window to hear what they were saying -- "There's something on the roof of your car!" they yelled.

And sure enough, there was...
my cue, still sitting steady in its case /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

justbrake
02-09-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Its funny you mention your meucci shaft-the same exact thing happened to my nephew-its brand new-I told him to take it down to Superbilliard expo and bring it right to Meucci-just a thought!
Good luck!
Carol~plays with a helmstetter /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

hi-Carol-I haven't met you yet but I do come into the city almost every weekend to play at amersterdam east,and I hope to meet you one day, but thats what i'm going to do bring it to the super billiard expo and see if they can do something for me, this is the second time you helped me with something thanks for the heads-up! again , Steven

Kato
02-09-2004, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Some folks here still think Meucci is the only cue to have /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I ran into a guy at The Cigar Club that told me he had "a really nice cue" which after me prodding him for 30 minutes turned out to be a Meucci. He insisted that it was a great cue. I pretty much just told him that if he liked it then it must be.

Kato

CaptMorgan
02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
I got a Viking VM13 two years ago and before that purchase thought seriously about a Meucci b/c of similiar circumstances. Everyone in the room was using them and as far as they were concerned no other cue existed. But it turned out to be just a local fad, once I moved out of that town it was hardly the story. I'm extremely happy with my cues perfomance and my worst fear is having it stolen, which is what happened to the one that I had before the Viking, actually it turned out to be a blessing in disguise b/c my viking cue is ten times better than the one the was stolen.

Just found it weird how little fads spread around the regulars in a room. It seems like almost everywhere you go, the regs use the same stuff.

BLACKHEART
02-09-2004, 11:28 PM
I sold Meucci Qs for 20 yrs &amp; their return policy was always the same. THEY WILL REPLACE ANYTHING UP TO 10 DAYS AFTER THE "DEALER GETS THEM"...JER

CarolNYC
02-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Hey Steven,
That was very sweet of you!The reason I say "just bring it to Superbilliards" is because ,I really dont know what the repair schedule or time is if you send it to Meucci-unless you have another cue or extra shaft, you may be climbing the walls waiting,ha ha ha!
I play at Corner on Thursday evenings and I'll be up there this Sunday-also, I only play the open tri-states-so I'll check the schedule-Im sure our paths will cross at some time or another,hopefully!
Its been a pleasure and good luck with the shaft!
Carol~has 3 shafts for her cue! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh, if you ever need a tip, Danny (Barouty) does tip work, and very well,if I may say so myself!
Stay well! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
02-10-2004, 02:35 AM
OOps,
Hi Jer,
I may have jumped the gun writing of repair schedule-ten days sounds reasonable to me!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_Mon
02-10-2004, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I sold Meucci Qs for 20 yrs &amp; their return policy was always the same. THEY WILL REPLACE ANYTHING UP TO 10 DAYS AFTER THE "DEALER GETS THEM"...JER <hr /></blockquote>

JER,
Meucci replaced the butt of my cue free of charge 10 months after I bought it. No questions asked.

Paul Mon

justbrake
02-10-2004, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I bought a helmstetter cue 18yrs. ago and when I pulled it out of the closet I have found it had warped both shaft and butt, now I just bought a meucci cue about 4 months ago straight from meucci with 2 black dot shafts it was perfectly straight when I got it(but now)rolled it on the table yesterday and found the shaft has a wobble already
is this due to there splicings, do predator shafts do the same or maple ones are these more vulnable to warp then others! and <font color="black"> </font color>

and another question is it better to buy an old pool cue 10 or more years old and know its history without a wobble or being warped then to buy a new que that just came from the factory!or custom shop as to the wood that was used to make it.

I didn't get an answer for my second question and i'm still interested in getting some answers to it!, would I be right by buying an old cue thats been around for a long time then buying a new one where as who knows if a new one would warp or not as an old one hasn't and wouldn't the odds be better.

Thanks!

Wally_in_Cincy
02-10-2004, 07:49 AM
If you buy from a reputable manufacturer or cue maker you should not have a problem with warpage. And if you do they will make it right, if they're reputable. Only buying 10-year-old cues seems a drastic solution to a problem that is not likely to occur.