PDA

View Full Version : Back to Triangle

Popcorn
02-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I was going to post this the other day but I wanted to be sure. I put on a triangle tip after playing with layered tips for quite a few years. I have to be honest I like it as much if not more. I wonder if all the rig-a-ma roll with all the different layered tips, hard medium, medium hard, soft and the different brands can get you nuts. I think I am finally now back to a common tip that cost like 60 cents and you can get anywhere. I may have come full circle on this tip thing, I am back to what I played with before. I know it can be subjective, but for me now I am very happy with the triangle.

Billy
02-08-2004, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I was going to post this the other day but I wanted to be sure. I put on a triangle tip after playing with layered tips for quite a few years. I have to be honest I like it as much if not more. I wonder if all the rig-a-ma roll with all the different layered tips, hard medium, medium hard, soft and the different brands can get you nuts. I think I am finally now back to a common tip that cost like 60 cents and you can get anywhere. I may have come full circle on this tip thing, I am back to what I played with before. I know it can be subjective, but for me now I am very happy with the triangle. <hr /></blockquote>

been playing with a triangle for nearly a decade and also very happy

being ol' fashioned and stubborn I've always been a skeptic when it comes to the new marketing ploys concerning tips, shafts, and such

right or wrong ? ... I don't know but I'm still playing well and that's all that matters huh?

jmo

BLACKHEART
02-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Popcorn, I'm with you. I don't think the layered tips are worth the extra money, you have to pay for them. There is no "break-in" period for a triangle or water buffalo. You can get 2 of them, put on,for the price of the layered &amp; they hold their shape...JER

woody_968
02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
I havent tried the layered tips yet, been wanting to order some and keep putting it off. I used to use triangle tips and am ordering another box this week for when I put on tips. They are an excellent tip IMO, not to mention cheap /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pelican
02-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Welcome back, popcorn /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
02-09-2004, 12:57 AM
I have been a very satisfied customer of Talisman tips for the last 4 or 5 years. I've experimented with triangles, champions, morri, water buffalo and have always found a consistancy with Talisman tips.

When I did try the triangle tip it was a very similar HIT to a Talisman. (or visa versa) I could not really tell which was which, unless I took a quick look to check for the layers on the Talisman. Two shafts that I play with, randomly, I could not tell the difference except in wear. The Triangle wears down much faster (every time I take a shaft out of the case, I use my shaper as a matter of habit) and the Triange has worn down quicker.

They both keep their shape (maybe an edge to the Talisman) and have never had mushroom problems with either.

I keep a good stock of both and will continue to randomly pick either shaft when playing.

Whatever makes you feel better about playing, I am all for..

If it's a Triangle or an Elk Master.. if you like it, you will feel better about playing.

Dagwood
02-09-2004, 01:06 AM
I've been using Moori tips for the past 5 years. That was after using a LePro before. Since I've switched to the Moori, I've only had to change tips 3-4 times the entire time. I NEVER have to shape the tip, and only have to occasionally, (every 10-14 hours of play), tip pic it to get the glaze off of it. I have better control of my english, and the hit is just much better, IMO. I loved the LePro, and love the moori that much more. As far as Triangle tips...some very good friends of mine back home swear by them, and would never switch to anything else. It's all in what you looking for in a tip I guess....

Dags

Cueless Joey
02-09-2004, 01:43 AM
The problem with the Triangles now is if they don't look bluish on top, they will hit differently.
A good Triangle is one good tip.
My local repairman loves the Everest tips. I love them too. Medium hard and lasts long and does not delaminate.
I'm sorry to say he has quit on medium hard Hercules and Talisman pro due to delamination. The only layered tips he uses now are Everest and Sniper. He hand picks his Triangles. IF they are not bluish on top, he sends them back.

Eric.
02-09-2004, 09:31 AM
I've had a similar experience with Triangles.

I think I have tried just about everything under the sun. I was using Mooris for a number of years and liked them alot (still do). My only knock on Mooris is that it can get smooth and slippery if you don't rough the tip every so often. The Triangle hard tips seem to hold their shape well and the surface doesn't get smooth and slippery as easily. I find I don't need to fuss with Triangles as much. Also, Triangles seem to be very consistant from box to box. I find the quality control is good. Coincidently, I just went back to a Triangle on my playing cue too.

Eric

Kato
02-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Ain't nothin' wrong with a Triangle. I've been playing with Tailsman Pro Medium for a few years now but if was ever dissatisfied and wanted to make a move it would definitely be back to Triangle.

Kato

Rod
02-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Layer tips are out for me. Why should I play with a tip that has a dozen layers? Just more peices to go wrong if you ask me. Triangles are ok but I never liked them all that much. For some reason, to me, it just feels like the ball comes off a little to hot. That could have to do with my install some time ago. My shafts are 13 1/4 mm but all I had was 13mm tips. I had to compress it a little so it would expand enough to fit the ferrule. I was very careful and it barely was enough with a good centering of the tip. Over time a tip will compres a little anyways so I figured it should be ok, I've done it in the past with other tips, but like I said the ball comes off a little to hot. Sorry for the run on sentence. LOL

Rod

rocky
02-10-2004, 02:33 PM
the big problems with a non layered tip is quality controle...it just isnt there! You dont know how old your tip is or haw long it will last,is it soft or hard? they also tend to loose their shape and this will cause miis hits. Not dogging traingle they are prob the best non layered tip and easy to install. BUt quality wise Moori and Talisman rule!