PDA

View Full Version : Ewa Mataya Laurance

PQQLK9
02-09-2004, 08:12 AM
As a pool player, Ewa Mataya Laurance is as good as she is good-looking.

No, that's not right. That's a typical sexist, chauvinist-pig remark. Furthermore, it's inaccurate. Laurance is better than she is good-looking, and she is plenty good-looking (objective observation).

Not that her looks have anything to do with her success as a pool pro.

The Swedish sensation put on a demonstration Saturday at Brunswick Home & Billiards at Edens Plaza in Wilmette that Minnesota Fats would have been proud of.

Of course, it helps that Laurance doesn't have the body of the late, great pool shark. Imagine him in the gray sweater and black leather pants she wore while signing autographs and during her instruction and trick-shot routine? No thanks.

Laurance can rival him with a nickname. Hers is the "Striking Viking.''

1. So in the world of female players, who has the better nickname, you or Jeanette "The Black Widow'' Lee?

"I don't know. I never used to have one because I thought they were kind of goofy. Nicknames are for big-time wrestlers. This one was pretty much given to me. I thought, 'OK, I'll take it.'''

2. Who has the better game?

"I think right now she's ranked higher and she's at the peak of her career. My peak was in the mid to late '90s.''

3. Who are the best and worst celebrity pool players you have faced?

"Michael Jordan, great pool player. I played pool with Paul Newman during the making of "The Color of Money,'' really good pool player. Scott Hamilton's a good player. I'm not going to tell you who the worst ones were.''

4. What's it like to be voted to the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame?

"When I was told I was going to be inducted, I said, 'Wow, that's great! Wait a minute! Am I that old?' One of the criteria is you have to have played 20 years competitively. That I have. I just started young.''

5. So you started when you were 8?

"Oh, you're so diplomatic, you're perfectly correct.''

Yep. Quick Hits hears that all the time.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/quickhits/cst-spt-1hit09.html

Wally_in_Cincy
02-09-2004, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
...1. So in the world of female players, who has the better nickname, you or Jeanette "The Black Widow'' Lee?

"I don't know. I never used to have one because I thought they were kind of goofy. Nicknames are for big-time wrestlers. This one was pretty much given to me. I thought, 'OK, I'll take it.'''...<hr /></blockquote>

I think Steve Tipton gave her that name.

dg-in-centralpa
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Having met and spoken with Ewa on several occasions, she is very deserving of the induction. She's one class act and appreciates her fans.

DG

Chris Cass
02-10-2004, 08:59 AM
What up Dawg,

I met that wonderful woman on our honeymoon. She was still married to Jimmy at the time. Heide and I talked with her for over 1/2 hr while Jimmy played a match. She's one sweet girl. I'm happy for her. Yes, she's much prettier in person but beyond the looks department, she is most beautiful inside. Jeanette is the same way. The look of the leather and cold chill you get, when you look into those black eyes, when she's down on a ball is nothing to how she really is inside. She's like most Chineese people I've ever met. Not to lump everyone into a catagory but I find them respectful, genuienly kind, honest and trust worthy. She's all of the above.

BTW, really liked George and never liked Jimmy. Can't fully judge Jimmy b/c I never really talked with him. I just never liked someone who tries to act cool but isn't. Kinda like these kids that come into the hall once in awhile. They act street and they grew up in the burbs. hahahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~Nick' dawg.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-10-2004, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> .... Kinda like these kids that come into the hall once in awhile. They act street and they grew up in the burbs. hahahahaha <hr /></blockquote>

Funny you mention that. I was LMAO last night as we were finishing our league matches. This kid walked in who was all that plus 10 years outta date. Think Vanilla Ice /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Then again it's Hamiltucky and everybody plays with Meuccis /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif