PDA

View Full Version : BARRINGER BREAK TIPS

BLACKHEART
02-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I bought some of these phenolic tips on E-BAY & put one on my break stick. They have a higher pitched sound, than with leather, more like a rifle shot. Even a medium hard break scatters the balls better than my normal break. BUT,any hit ,even slightly off center produced a miss hit that didn't even hit the rack. I'll probably keep it on for a while,but I'm not sure I'll keep it on. Anyone else have experience with these phenolic tips?...JER

MarkUrsel
02-09-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm using a phenolic on my jump/break cue. It's amazing for jumping. For breaking, it hits a ton, but it's a lot harder to control. I scuffed the heck out of it and chalked it as much as it can hold, and it seems a bit better for off-center hits. If you hit it a bit too high or low, and bounce it a bit too much at the pack, you can really get some hang time off the head ball!

I also noticed my normal break locations weren't working anywhere near as well as they used to. Went to a different position and have been getting much better results.

Rich R.
02-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Jer, I've had similar experience with the phenolic tip on my Sledgehammer J/B cue. When playing 9-ball, it is not too bad, because I stay close to center ball, when breaking. But when playing in my 8-ball league, and I want to use the second ball break with some draw on the cue ball, I have a huge problem with miscues. So much so, I no longer use that cue for 8-ball.

One thing I have had some success with is using a tip-pik on it. You have to push on it, very hard, and it doesn't get too far into the surface of the phenolic tip, but you don't have to do it too often and it seems to help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
02-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Jer,

I just bought a Tornado Jump/Break this weekend, while my normal break cue is out for repairs. This cue has a phenolic tip as well. I jsut started using it and need to adjust to it. I noticed that like Mark said, it is very unforgiving of a slightly off center hit. Also, I had to take some power off the break to maintain control of the CB, which brings me to another point; I'm having a hard time getting the CB to squat in the middle of the table, consistantly. I hope I can adjust to the phenolic tip. It does hit a ton, without having to wind up to smack the CB. My biggest concern now is miscueing or having a CB that flies around.

I'd love to hear about other experiences with phenolic tips on break cues.

Eric

Rod
02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
One has to wonder if these tips are a good answer if miss cues happen. I'd rather miss-hit the rack a little than miss it completely. One day I might try one but it's on the back burner. As a foot note it might help one if there stroke gets too wild. It would force them to slow down and I sure see way to many over powered breaks. Yours truly has been guilty of that at once in a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

tateuts
02-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I posted before about this. For one, with a phenolic tip when you break you need ear protection. It's piercing loud and sounds like shattering glass. Then, you are hitting a screaming knuckleball with very little control over the cue ball.

I think break cues need a hard leather tip but phenolic is only suitable for jump cues. Hence, break/jump cues are the answer to nothing.

My only regret is that I sat there with sandpaper trying to shape the damn phenolic tip and when I needed a cutting torch.

Chris

Dagwood
02-10-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm able to control the cue ball fine off the break with the phenolic tip...IDK, maybe it's just the way I break. I do know that it took me a little while to adjust to it, but once I did, the results from my break were much better than that of a leather tip.

Dags

bigalerickson
02-10-2004, 01:33 AM
I've heard a rumor that Patrick plays with the Phenolic tip exclusively... i he still around!?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-10-2004, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigalerickson:</font><hr> I've heard a rumor that Patrick plays with the Phenolic tip exclusively... is he still around!?
<hr /></blockquote>

He hasn't been heard from for a few months. Maybe he finally decided to leave his house.

BTW I have a friend named "Little Al". He's 6'-4" and about 240 /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cycopath
02-10-2004, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>He hasn't been heard from for a few months. Maybe he finally decided to leave his house.
<hr /></blockquote>

Or the planet... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I missed that thread I guess. Possibly changing the radius to a very slight arch would help. My break cue tip is very near flat in the center. Ear protection, what now everyone carrys ear muffs in their case? LOL Sounds like a case for the EPA? Son don't go near that guy when he is breaking, It will break your ear drums. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

tateuts
02-10-2004, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Ear protection, what now everyone carrys ear muffs in their case? LOL Sounds like a case for the EPA? Son don't go near that guy when he is breaking, It will break your ear drums. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Well, what you have to do you put on your ear and eye protection (ala Earl). You aim your phenolic tip (with it's edges painted bright red) at the cue ball and announce <font color="red"> 'FIRE IN THE HOLE' </font color> right before breaking. Definitely an intimidating move.

tateuts
02-10-2004, 03:12 PM
"I'm your huckleberry." -Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Tombstone

That was a great movie - Doc Holiday was too cool, Ringo too crazy. I liked the part where him and Ringo start talking latin to each other and twirling guns. "Kinda reminds me of me."