PDA

View Full Version : Head position - the main problem.

Skyer
02-09-2004, 10:12 AM
When I bend forward to make a shot, my head always turn on one side or another, goes off the target line, so I can't take aim correctly. So I always have to look forward, to turn my head back on the target line, and only then to shoot.

It is disgusting, it makes every my shot like a hell - because it is very uncomfortable, when I have to turn my head upside-down-left-right, before shooting.

The worst thing I can't keep an eye on it, because, there is usually no mirror near the table, and the only way I cant see my head it in wrong position - when I am in the lowest position over the table and ready to shoot.

How can I get rid of this habbit?

Stretch
02-09-2004, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Skyer:</font><hr> When I bend forward to make a shot, my head always turn on one side or another, goes off the target line, so I can't take aim correctly. So I always have to look forward, to turn my head back on the target line, and only then to shoot.

It is disgusting, it makes every my shot like a hell - because it is very uncomfortable, when I have to turn my head upside-down-left-right, before shooting.

The worst thing I can't keep an eye on it, because, there is usually no mirror near the table, and the only way I cant see my head it in wrong position - when I am in the lowest position over the table and ready to shoot.

How can I get rid of this habbit? <hr /></blockquote>

I suspected that my head was in the wrong position on certain shots myself. You know when your down and you get this feeling that the shot just dosn't look right? or it seems different from when you looked at it from the standing position?. I found that it wasn't my head. I was aligned impropely. That is to say that my body was not seeing what my eyes were. Check your stance and alignment to each shot first, and rule them out BEFORE you start shifting your head around. If your still feeling that your not seeing the shot right try lifting your head up on the verticle line then back down. Sometimes I'll get half up, then down a few times before i fall into the exact spot that feels good and gives me that connected feeling to the shot. Hope this helps. St

02-09-2004, 11:13 AM

Rod
02-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Who says your head position has to be straight? Your head should follow your body alignment. That might be straight or it could be cocked a little. At any rate, you should get help from a qualified instructor in your area. It's difficult at best to offer online advice that might hurt more than help. It's how you see the shot, now, and for years to come. Start off in the right or correct direction.

Rod

Skyer
02-09-2004, 03:37 PM
I have noticed today, that not the head is the problem. The problem is the whole standing. I can't find the comfortable way. Well, I can find comfortable, but this one is the wrong variant, where the good aiming and shooting is impossible.

I know all the theory, I know what the standing should be. But whatever I have tried - everything is PAINFUL. And uncomfortable. I do the best shots, when I am in the lowest position, but when I stand in "correct" lowest position, my legs and sometimes hand and back feel the pain. When it doesn't feel - the position is out of target line completely.

Another - the hand left hand(one without a cue). It is always difficult for me to put it in the comfortable position. It often "hangs" over the table, and when it lies - my left hand feels uncomfortable and sometimes pain.

I had a coach, he explained, what standing should be, but due to the things I have listed above, I couldn't find MY way of correct standings.

How to fix?

Rod
02-09-2004, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't want to suggest anything if you have physical limitations. Perhaps you should address those issues first?

Rod

Bob_Jewett
02-09-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a coach, he explained, what standing should be, but due to the things I have listed above, I couldn't find MY way of correct standings. <hr /></blockquote>

Get a different coach. Even if you have medical problems that interfere with your game, he should be able to help you find a position that is best for you. He should not just parrot orthodoxy and demand that you do it that way.

Skyer
02-10-2004, 08:15 AM
No, the task is just to find the comfortable way.

rocky
02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Skyer:</font><hr> When I bend forward to make a shot, my head always turn on one side or another, goes off the target line, so I can't take aim correctly. So I always have to look forward, to turn my head back on the target line, and only then to shoot.

"Amen" very good advise. they dont use the air stroke to look pretty! Yo would be suprised to see how much better you feel if you line the shot up with a air stroke before going down on the shot. Mika has a text book stance and aproach, watch him and you will see a good example of this!

How can I get rid of this habbit? <hr /></blockquote>

Watch the pros on TV (Robles, Immonen, Fisher, Corr to name a few). A lot of them study the shot from afar and then they step into the shot/position, letting their stick guide them on the way down. I was taught this in some pool classes I took.

If you do this and you still feel off, then it is time to rework your stance, grip, head position, or combination thereof to find something you are comfortable with.

Personally, I shoot with my eyes closed. If everything feels okay, then the balls go in. Sometimes I shoot better this way - heaven help me! Being in the dark while you are shooting lets you feel what your body is doing better that if you have your eyes open.

Remember that lots of pros shoot with weird stances, grips, etc. Chances are that they learned this at a young age and don't want to completely start over again, so they make do with what they have. You must be willing to go through some drastic changes if you want to change for the good sometimes. Of course your game will suffer at first (or even get better for a short while). I recommend writing down on a sheet of paper that you keep in your wallet what you were doing good if you shot well and felt good. Eventually you may be able to piece them all together and get your own style that is also basically sound.

Good luck, WW <hr /></blockquote>