PDA

View Full Version : Cue appraisal need for insurance

dooziexx
02-09-2004, 11:10 AM
I currently own a modest collection of cues and would like to insure them. My insurance agent told me that the cues need to appraised. Does anyone know where I an appraisal done and what kind of cost Im looking at?

Scott Lee
02-09-2004, 11:22 AM
dooziexxx...You can contact the cuemakers and they will supply you with an invoice of the value of the cue, or what you paid for it (if you don't already have such a receipt). You can also contact other 'cue brokers', such as John Wright (he is in the Chicago area, up around Palatine), and he most likely can provide you with a written appraisal of your cues, that will suffice for the insurance company's needs. Hope this helps.

Scott Lee

Doctor_D
02-09-2004, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> I currently own a modest collection of cues and would like to insure them. My insurance agent told me that the cues need to appraised. Does anyone know where I an appraisal done and what kind of cost Im looking at? <hr /></blockquote>

Good afternoon:

If you have cues, or other collectables, which have values greater than their original cost be careful NOT to purchase an insurance policy which pays based on ACV / Actual Cash value. ACV is original cost minus depreciation. Ask your agent about a stated or declared value policy, or coverage which has been specifically designed for collectors and will pay a loss based on an appraised value and not ACV. If your agent does not know the difference, or is not familiar with this type of specialty coverage, you should seek quotations from additional agents or brokers.

Dr. D.

Popcorn
02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
There is a difference between a collection of cues and collectable cues. You may just look up the current going price of a similar cue from the cue maker or manufacture. They may be covered by your home owners policy but you should have good pictures of them. I tried to help one guy with a Richard Black cue. The insurance company wanted some kind of receipt or appraisal. He bought the cue second hand and could not even prove the cue ever existed. I wrote a letter that I had worked on the cue and could assets to the cues existence and value and would do so under oath. He never collected though. On high end cues ( worth in the thousands) that trade around it would probably be a good idea to have something like a title you have with a car that tracks the cues ownership. I think Dale Perry does something like that. I know dogs have chips in them sometimes that can be read, maybe it would be good for a cue to have something like that. It could always be identified. Just brain storming

tateuts
02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
This should work for you:

http://www.welovepool.com/cueappraisals.html

All you need to do is send them photos, info, and $10 per cue. It may not be a thorough evaluation, but it should suffice for insurance purposes.

I will be curious to learn how much your premium goes up - can you send me a message or post it?

Chris

Ps. They also sell antique weapons. Check out their web site:

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/

So, they should be pretty aware of the insurance appraisal business.