PDA

View Full Version : Rack your own ?

bigshooter
02-09-2004, 11:51 AM
We had the Midwest 9 ball tour in Tulsa this weekend at the Palace and the format was rack your own balls with an alternate break.

The tournament director stated to me that he did this to because he was tired of the players complaining about bad racks at every tourney and this was the best solution he could think of.

I have to admit it makes for some good run out pool and quite a few 9's on the snap but I'm not sure I like it.

Are a lot of tournaments going to this now?
What do you think of this policy, good or bad?

UWPoolGod
02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
I played in a larger tourney this weekend that was rack your own, winner break. It was up to the opponent to check the rack if they were worried they were racking bad, or the 9's were flying. I only made 2 the whole time I played. I made sure to check the rack one race when it was 6-6 race to 7. He had a huge gap between the 2nd and 3rd tiers next to the 9, so I made him rerack it. He still broke and ran to win the match but at least the 9 didn't head to the corner.

Stan Tourangeau put a 5 pack to start the match against Kris Iverson after winning the lag...tough to come back from that.

piglit
02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
I am all for rack your own. Seems like you are creating the incentive to give good racks...

That said, I heard Parica say that rack your own was the worst thing to happen to pro pool in a long time...

-pigi

pooltchr
02-09-2004, 03:16 PM
We do rack your own as an option on our tour. The opponant has the right to check the rack, but I have yet been called over to settle any racking disputes, so I am all for it.

CaptMorgan
02-09-2004, 09:28 PM
I don't know about recreational pool, but the only way to avoid this altogether is to have a neutral party rack everytime. I know this is hard to do when you have a 200+ person field. Otherwise you have to take the good with the bad. I'd say that racking your own is better than some opponent sabotaging (sp) your rack with loose balls. But there's no real good resolution to this w/o a neutral party racking.

houstondan
02-09-2004, 10:03 PM
s.padre was alternating break with the non-breaker racking. had one guy ask to do ours "rack your own" and being an agreeable and not-very-bright kinda guy, i said "ok". i can't be sure how much it cost me but i'm pretty sure it cost me some.

not sure how to end the arguing about racks tho.

dan

Rich R.
02-10-2004, 04:56 AM
The Planet Pool Tour, based in Maryland and Northern Virginia, has been using rack your own for a number of years. The non-racking player has the option to inspect the rack. It seems to cut out a lot of the haggling over racks, but not all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SPetty
02-10-2004, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CaptMorgan:</font><hr> I don't know about recreational pool...<hr /></blockquote>You never play pool for the fun of it?

cheesemouse
02-10-2004, 09:06 AM
I've heard the endless debate over racking in 9ball and in my opinion the shape of the 9b rack is the limiting factor. No matter who racks it can be manipulated by placement of balls in the rack, leaving small gaps somewhere, the head ball forward or back of the spot, using more or less power, and by the breaking player breaking from different locations behind the foot string. The end result in pro events and even open events is the guy that finds the best break or manipulates the rack best wins the event or at the very least has a smooth road to the finals. The diamond shape arrangement of the balls, IMHO, just allows lots of balls too be made off the break, that's just the way it is.

Recently there have been these RING GAMES that have created a nice buzz with us enthusiasts....and what was the game?....10ball......Why 10ball?.....because with that arrangement of the balls even a King Kong who is stopping the cb on a dime in the center of the table has no guarantee that he/she will make a particular ball in a set pocket off that arrangement of the balls in the 10ball rack. The guys that played, and there sponsors, knew that nobody was going to take that game off with the break alone. I'm not sure but I don't think anybody playing in those RING GAMES put up a 'three pack' starting from a break shot.

What would be the harm in having a breakball on the spot that would be removed from the table after the break? In other words, you break the rack of ten, remove the breakball, and run the remaining balls...I think this simple change would eliminate a lot of B/S...

Dagwood
02-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Interesting concept cheese...it could be used as a way to handicap a match between a strong player and a weaker player. Stronger player has to use the breakball and a ten ball rack to limit the amount of damage that can be done off the break...

Dags