PDA

View Full Version : Larry Liscotti leaves us.

Cueless Joey
02-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Larry passed away this morning.
God bless him.

NH_Steve
02-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Sorry to hear /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm reposting here a story from this year's DCC that I posted a few days ago:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> As has been posted here before, former straight pool champion and one of the top New England players over the last 30 years, and certainly one of the most entertaining personalities, Larry Lisciotti, 'The Prince of Pool', is fighting a very tough battle with cancer. I was talking to somebody this morning who said that Larry's condition has really taken a turn for the worse the last couple of days. I'm relating the following story from the Derby City Classic because he liked it so much when I told him:

Prior to one of the big televised matches at the DCC, Danny Diliberto took Scott Smith's microphone and addressed the large crowd gathered. He explained to the crowd how Larry was battling cancer and could use a little lift. He said, I've got a cell phone here and in a minute I'm gonna call Larry, and when I get him on the phone I'll give you the signal to all yell, 'Larry!, Larry!, Larry!' so he can hear all the support. Danny led the crowd in a practice round, then dialed up Larry. Sure enough, after he explained to Larry where he was, he told Larry that the crowd there wanted to send him a message, then he gave the signal -- and the whole crowd took up the chant in unison, Larry!, Larry!, Larry! Who says pool players don't care about their fellow players... <hr /></blockquote>

Dagwood
02-09-2004, 10:42 PM
I can't believe I just read that. Larry was one of the most interesting people in the industry that I ever had the pleasure of meeting. The pool industry has lost one of it's true characters with the passing of Larry. Long live the Prince of Pool...

Dags

Ralph S.
02-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Did you read the story on azbilliards.com ?

cueball1950
02-09-2004, 11:03 PM
May the Angels carry your cue to Heaven and watch over you. You were an ALL STAR in our life. Rest in peace my friend and give em all the 7....................................mike

Voodoo Daddy
02-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Sad day... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OnePocketChamp
02-10-2004, 11:17 AM
I am very sad that "we" in the pool family have lost one of our greats, "Oil Can Larry". Two days ago I had just reread my Jan/Feb 1979 back issue of Billiards Digest and John Grissim's article talks about Larry----plus has a couple of great pictures from back then.
I just sold these magazines on Ebay but sometime today I will scan this article and post to the board for all to remember!!!!!

cycopath
02-10-2004, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr>I just sold these magazines on Ebay but sometime today I will scan this article and post to the board for all to remember!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

That would be really cool, OPC. Thanks.

eg8r
02-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, while I am out there you let me see some Accu-stats tapes and never reveal all the old BD mags. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope you are doing well....

eg8r

Billy
02-10-2004, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Larry passed away this morning.
God bless him. <hr /></blockquote>

Lisciotti was definately ol' school and quite the character

rip big guy

OnePocketChamp
02-10-2004, 01:20 PM
The old BD's magazines are for the true pool fanatics and as I remember it you were more interested in eating at Tommy's and listening to the really great??? music at Billy Wier's.
Sorry, but at that time I had not found the box in storage that held my old magazines====and interesting note is while uncovering these old mags I ran across some old Playboys I had put away!!!!!!

OnePocketChamp
02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
I have updated my web site to include the Larry Liscotti article from the Jan/Fed 1979 back issue of Billiards Digest. I hope everyone that loves the game of pool and its great players will enjoy reading this article.

OPC - Liscotti Article (http://www.acandlescent.com/OPC/Liscotti.html)

PQQLK9
02-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I modified your link...thanks for the article.
http://www.acandlescent.com/OPC/Liscotti.html

Fred Agnir
02-10-2004, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> I have updated my web site to include the Larry Liscotti article from the Jan/Fed 1979 back issue of Billiards Digest. I hope everyone that loves the game of pool and its great players will enjoy reading this article.

OPC - Liscotti Article (http://www.acandlescent.com/OPC/Liscotti.html) <hr /></blockquote>This is actually a chapter out of Grissim's book Billiards: Hustlers and Heros, Legends and Lies... Along with the picture of the four legends (Rempe, Diliberto, Sigel, and Lisciotti), the shot of Oil Can Larry after he'd won the '74 World 14.1 Tourney is fabulous.

Grissim's book also details an encounter with a then unknown young man, Efren Reyes, while Grissim was visiting the Philippines.

Fred

#### leonard
02-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Larry God Bless you.####

Here is my favorite Larry Liscotti story. I had dinner with Larry and his girlfriend in Chicago at the 1974 US Open. He was telling of playing a Southern Gentleman $1000 a game nineball in his home. When he lined up the last nineball,, he heard click and looked up to see the Gentleman with a gun aimed at him. I asked what did you do Larry?. He said I drilled it right dead center. That was Larry.####