PDA

View Full Version : coaches, teachers, and mentors....

bigalerickson
04-22-2002, 07:59 PM
As I look more and more into this game, I realize the grave need for assistance by someone who has gathered a much greater amount than I. I have used friends, and a few people at a local bar to help improve my game, but have yet to find anyone that knows enough about the game to give me anything more than a helpful hint or two.

where should I look for a teacher/mentor? What should their qualifications be? What should I expect to pay? And any other helpful hints as to find a person to help improve my game.

Also, I have seen numerous books/marked balls to help my game, are any of these worth my effort/money?

Thanks everyone!

bigalerickson - THe only thing that can prevent your dreams of tomorrow are your doubts of today. Proceed with Active Faith and Confidence.

Chris Cass
04-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi Big Al,

Your starting to grow on me. Your an ok guy.

Regards,

C.C.

MikeM
04-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Big Al,

The BCA website has a list of instructors in North America at http://www.bca-pool.com/play/ under instructors. I have had lessons from two BCA instructors - much to my benefit. They work together and will come to your home or meet you at the local pool hall where they are teaching pros. Cost probably varies by area. These guys charge $40 an hour for a two hour lesson with the both of them. I am in Northern Virginia just outside of DC.

Best,

MM

bigalerickson
04-23-2002, 02:24 AM
Thanks CC. now I just need someone to show me how to be okay pool player and I'll be set!

Chris Cass
04-23-2002, 04:08 AM
Hi Big Al,

It would be to your advantage to catch Scott Lee, when he's in town. Poolology@hotmail.com One word of advice, check his racks.LOL He's a great guy too.

Regards,

C.C.~~it's a long road back, but once you do get there. it's worth it.....

cuechick
04-23-2002, 07:54 AM
AL.
I see you are in L.A., I don't know where you play but there are decent rooms, such of House of Billiards in North Hollywood or Santa Monica, and Hollywood Billiards...You are also near Hard Times and that is a hotbed for great players...Melissa Herdon is an excellent player and might consider teaching(or know a good one) she is a listed user, MellissainCA, you might private message her...? I think lessons are important early on before bad habits become too hard to break!

JimS
04-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Hi Al,

Welcome to the ccb! I stopped playing at age 16 and took a 40 year lay-off from the game. When I came back, with a vengance(!), I wanted to be a player. I drove a couple hundred miles for lessons several times, improved gradually, kept looking for a teacher and kept on practicing.

Suddenly, out of the blue, the teacher appeared! Coach, as I affectionatly have dubbed him, is a great guy, an excellent player, and an insightful coach, who has made it his mission to turn me into a player. I don't know how it happened or what I did to deserve it but I suspect that my patience and continued determination to improve had something to do with his unexpected appearance. Of course it may have helped that I'm rich, good looking, a great guy, charming, and funny.

I'll bet that if you get out there and play, and practice, and talk, and work at the game, and practice, and watch tapes, and practice, and read books, and practice, and ask questions, and practice, and be the good guy you appear to be (based on your early posts here) that when you are ready the teacher will appear.