PDA

View Full Version : Instroke case repair!

CarolNYC
02-10-2004, 02:42 AM
There was a little controversy going on at AZbilliards forum regarding Instroke-although I do not write there, I felt the need to put my two cents in!
I've had my case for 4 years and never had a problem-the zipper threading started to loosen and I sent my case to John Barton-I know John and he is a man of his word-not only did he repair my case but when I opened the packaging, my case looks brand new-I just want to say 'Thank-you" John!
See ya at the staff party,hopefully!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rocky
02-10-2004, 02:28 PM
"Amen" John is one of the coolest people, and lives not to far from me. They have also improved the zipper and are working on a moisture resistant seal for one the prototypes are the new predator cases! Made by John factory. Danielle is a hell of a craftsman!

Fred Agnir
02-10-2004, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> Made by John factory. Danielle is a hell of a craftsman! <hr /></blockquote>What factory?

CarolNYC
02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
John is one of the coolest people <hr /></blockquote>
Yep,yep,yep!
Take care,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
02-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Ditto!!!

I love my Instroke case and knowing that I can run over it with a car and not damage my cues makes me feel thaaaaaat much safer from my own clutzy self.

John Barton, please stop by the VF Amateur Tournament desk. Your pecans are waiting.

Barbara

PQQLK9
02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, I love my Instokes also (3x5 &amp; 2x4) but the top latch on the 2x4 just fell off right after Christmas.It is still under warranty and Seyberts has been putting me off for over a month now as to where to send it for repair.They claim that they have about ten of them out for the same repair problem and they are overdue.

I PM'ed John Barton for some advise (I know he sold the company) and also E-Mailed Cue and Case Repair to no avail.
I understand that Sterling-Gaming is now the exclusive distributer for Instroke and since they are local to me I'll just lug it over there and see what they can do.

CarolNYC
02-11-2004, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I PM'ed John Barton <hr /></blockquote>
Hi There,
Im sorry to hear of your problem-if you go under www.instroke.com (http://www.instroke.com) and click on "guarantee"- you'll see a repair section-I copied and pasted some of it for you, but you just follow the directions, print it out and send it on its way-I also mentioned my top snap was loose, John repaired that, too!
This,too, was during the holidays and I am pretty much satisfied in having it repaired and returned as quickly as it did!I would also like to say one more thing, last year on the Sunday eveing of the Superbilliards event, I showed John the thread-he was gonna take the case right then,but I couldnt give it to him ,cause, I needed it for a tournament and didnt have another case-he reaches into his pocket,hands me cash and says if I can find a leather tailor to repair before my next tournament,he'll pay for it-That was the coolest thing to me-anyways, the tailor who use to sew my leather clothes ,closed ,and I took it to a few places,but they just didnt have the right equipment to fix it-so now, Im taking John to dinner /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Get the Jello shots ready,Barb!
Good luck with your case!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Directions:
Complete and submit the Repair Ticket Form below (* indicate required fields). Your request will be logged and a printable Repair Ticket will be displayed on your browser.
Print two copies of the Repair Ticket. Keep one for your records. Include the second with your repair item and ship it to the address below:

Barton Design
8952 Hwy 7 N #7
Dover, AR 72837

PQQLK9
02-11-2004, 06:24 AM
thanks Carol

pooltchr
02-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Nick,
Some of the vynal Instrokes had a problem with that latch. They are aware, and have made the fix, but I guess there are still a few of them with the bad latches out there. Instroke should fix it, but they might just switch it out at Sterling. Give them a call 821-1010.
Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
02-11-2004, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>..knowing that I can run over it with a car and not damage my cues....<hr /></blockquote>

Technically a GMC Jimmy if memory serves. Great story /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PQQLK9
02-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks Steve,it's one of the vinyl Cowboy's that Seyberts were selling for $129.00. Absolutely beautiful man made leather /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
I understand that they have designed a new and improved latch.

pooltchr
02-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Nick,
Yeah, I got 4 of 'em from Sterling and had to have all 4 replaced. Try John first, but Scott out at Sterling might be willing to do something with it even though they didn't sell it.
Steve

rocky
02-11-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> Made by John factory. Danielle is a hell of a craftsman! <hr /></blockquote>What factory? <hr /></blockquote>
their factory is family run in Taiwan by the Liao family. Daniel comes to the states and brings prototypes to us from time to time usually at the bca's or the apa's or valley forge but just all around great people.

CarolNYC
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Anytime Nick,
Your very welcome!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
02-11-2004, 11:02 AM
ha ha ha ha!
Her car,truck and sailboat,ha ha ha
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
02-11-2004, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
prototypes <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Rocky,
I'll take a "prototype" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
See ya soon!
Carol

Popcorn
02-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Does the case come with a guarantee to cover it for say, one year or something? Four years seems like a long time to own the case and expect the case maker to have to repair the case for free. I know you probably would have been happy to pay, but from some of what I have read in the past, some of these guys are unrealistic about how long they think the case should last trouble free. The first time something happens they want to bad mouth the maker, mean time they have beat the hell out of the case. If the case maker was to not want to fix it for nothing, they then come on one of these boards and slam the guys product. Maybe John should answer this.

CarolNYC
02-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Thats a good question-I never thought about it-my case is a cowboy-2x4-chestnut with the nineball rack embedded into top pocket-I havent seen one since I got mine-maybe because it was a manufacturers defect rather than an abuse sort of incident, they guarantee it,ya know what I mean?Im sure if they seen that it was totally abused, they'd ask for a repair fee-I've taken pretty good care of it-God, I have seven cues and I use one,ha ha ha!I apreciate good things!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif ~kinda fanatic,ha ha ha

tateuts
02-11-2004, 04:31 PM
John Barton wrote to me that Instroke or he himself would replace the defective latches free even if the cases are older. I gave the case away to a friend so I didn't take him up on it. They have a new latch that's supposed to be bulletproof and it's guaranteed. The pre 2003 cases had latches with a weak pin.

He's at: barton@instroke.com

his web-site is: http://www.cuecaserepair.com/

Chris

Harold Acosta
02-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Carol, I've had my Cowboy Instroke 3 x 7 for about 5 years now. I purchased it right before the 1999 US Open. I met John at the Open and spoke to him about my case. The latch and the top handle had broken, most probably due to the weight and the case falling on the latch everytime it went for the ground. John told me to send it in. He got it fixed for free altough I thought it was already out of warranty. I was just impressed that John would do that for me. What I didn't know was that he treats everyone the same and that speaks tons about John; and standing by his product.

The latch has since broken but I have retired the case and it currently holds my Schon ST-7 and a McDermott D-4 that has the signatures of most Pros that attended the 1996 Camel/PBT Grand Prix of Puerto Rico. The two cues are retired so there is no need to get the case fixed again. I would not house those 2 cues in any other of the cases I have.

Instroke cases are the best. No matter what other products are out there.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

JohnBarton
02-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Carol,

Thank you for the compliments. Your case is not a Cowboy or a prototype. Yours is one of the nicest Saddle Series cases Instroke ever did. It's ageing nicely as well. I wish I could've kept it :-)

TO anyone else with problems. Sometimes I either don't get the emails because of filters and virus checkers or I let them go to many days without answering them and they slip out of view. I try to answer all emails promptly but my procrastination gets in the way... ba boom.

Some quick info: I sold Instroke last year. I still do the repair/warranty work for them. The latches have undergone many changes over the years. Simply put, all pre-2003 latches were too weak for the application and were modified to work as best as we could do it. In 2003 the factory designed a new latch that is practically indestructable for the use on a cue case. All new Instroke cases have this latch. This is just information and not an advertisement.

Carol has already provided information for Instroke owners who need new latches and other repairs. Again this is www.instroke.com (http://www.instroke.com) www.cuecaserepair.com (http://www.cuecaserepair.com) and Sterling Gaming, 877-283-7444.

Thank you everyone for the compliments and again please accept my apologies for those of you who have received less than excellent service from me.

John Barton

CarolNYC
02-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi Harold,
[ QUOTE ]
he treats everyone the same and that speaks tons about John; and standing by his product.
<hr /></blockquote>
Yep! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I like your idea of housing your cues in the case-when the airlines stopped letting you bring cues on planes, I bought an archery case-it has,like,foam slots with straps,I guess you would put arrows in it, and thats where my other cues are kept-I hope there okay-there flat and straight-but I like your idea! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Speak to you soon!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
02-12-2004, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They have a new latch that's supposed to be bulletproof <hr /></blockquote>
LMAO-if I ever get caught in cross fire,I'll just hold up my instroke case,ha ha ha-I'll let you know if it works,ha ha ha
Have a good day!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-12-2004, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
mean time they have beat the hell out of the case <hr /></blockquote>
Its funny you say this cause ,its so true-I've seen people snap their cues,unbelievable-but,my nephew was at Superbilliards, and I brought him to John, and he bought a case-I forget the incident,but it got damaged ,very badly, due to his neglect-so he calls me and asks me if he should send it back to instroke- I said "No way-your fault,next time take care of your things!"I think he learned his lesson-I gave him a predator break cue as a gift-he treats it like its worth a million dollars!
Stay well!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Hey John,
Thank you!I love it!
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could've kept it :-)
<hr /></blockquote>
You can borrow it anytime you like-I'll share with you!
You take very good care and I'll stop by to say hello in March!
Wishing you my Best,

Frank_Glenn
02-12-2004, 05:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey John,
Thank you!I love it!
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I wish I could've kept it :-)
<hr /></blockquote>
You can borrow it anytime you like-I'll share with you!
You take very good care and I'll stop by to say hello in March!
Wishing you my Best,
<hr /></blockquote>

We want PICTURES!

CarolNYC
02-12-2004, 01:58 PM
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/nesemipro9bl/images/img0200.jpg

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/nesemipro9bl/images/img0201.jpg

Hey Frank,
This is the best I can do!
But thanks for asking to see it!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank_Glenn
02-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Very nice. Mine is an all black leather 2X4 with heavy tooling. I don't have any pictures. I have only seen one other like it (Shannon Dalton).