PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Hall of Fame Selections?

Chris in NC
02-10-2004, 01:20 PM
I haven't been on or posted on the board in a number of months, but decided to check it today mainly just to see what the consensus of feelings is among posters regarding Ewa Laurance's recent selection in to the BCA HOF - over Earl Strickland and Alan Hopkins. Unless I overlooked it, I surprisingly have seen no threads on what I would think should be a rather intersting and heated topic of discussion here.

My feelings on this are mixed, as Ewa and Mitch have been here to visit us and our poolroom a number of times in the past when they lived in Charlotte, and I consider Ewa as a friend. As this is about a big an achievement a pro pool player can possibly get for their career, I know Ewa (and Mitch) are very happy and I congratulate her for this accomplishment.

Even if she never wins again, I figured Ewa would eventually make it to the HOF - likely based moreso on the attention and increased popularity she has brought to the game and to the WPBA, than based on her tournament record alone. From the New York Times Magazine cover exposure nearly 20 years ago and still now there is no question she has brought glamour, sex appeal and class to the game and to the WPBA, not to mention the leadership she's provided for the women's tour as a former and current WPBA President, and as a spokesperson/endorser for Brunswick Billiards for virtually her entire career.

For so long Jean Balukus was the only female HOF member - which seemed to be an awfully high measuring stick to compare any other female player to in terms of HOF consideration. Now in the past 3 years we've got 2 more women players that have been inducted - Loree Jon and Ewa. Without looking up their tournament records, my guess is that LJ had more WPBA tour wins, US Open wins and WPA World Championship wins in her career than did Ewa. Of course they both pale in comparison to Allison Fisher's tournament record - even if you don't include Allison's 10 years of dominance in snooker.

At just 40 years of age, I don't know if the timing is appropriate to be electing a player into the HOF when she's still competing full-time on the WPBA tour, although she hasn't won a pro tournament in 6 years. Yes, Ewa had a period of excellence in the late 80s and early 90s, but it was in that time gap between Jean Balukus and Allison Fisher, and she certainly didn't dominate that period as either of those two players have. It seems to me that this choice now makes a case for some other WPBA players to be considered for the HOF as well - particularly Robin Bell Dodson - whose tournament record likely surpasses Ewa's. For that matter I'm sure Jeanette can't be far removed from eventually making it as well.

I'm not worried about Allison's eventually making it in the HOF. I know she's in no hurry and doesn't even wish to be nominated until she's certainly closer to the end of her tournament career. Neither am I worried about Earl, who has now been nominated twice and failed to be elected. Anyone who would question the tournament records of either of those two as being worthy of HOF membership is absolutely nuts. They will both eventually have their day in the sun.

However, I do feel bad for Alan Hopkins. At his age (pushing 60), he should have long ago been in the HOF, in my opinion. All of his contemporaries are there - some having been there for a long time - Mizerak, Sigel, Varner, Hall and Rempe just to name a few. As far as the greats in one-pocket and straight pool, this man easily ranks in the top 10 in both games - all-time! I'm hopeful that Alan will eventually make it in the HOF, but it's just sad to see him passed over yet again, not to take anything away from Ewa's selection.

I know this post may likely evoke a number of various responses, so bring it on. - Chris in NC

Wally_in_Cincy
02-10-2004, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>
...Unless I overlooked it, I surprisingly have seen no threads on what I would think should be a rather intersting and heated topic of discussion here....<hr /></blockquote>

Nah we're too busy talking about the molecular structure of layered tip adhesive /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You make a good case for Hopkins especially if you consider his work on the Expo. I think he will make it in the next couple of years unless Earl suddenly cleans up his act and gets elected instead.

As far as Ewa v. Robin Bell, Ewa is still very visible and playing well even though Robin maybe has an overall better record. Out of sight, out of mind maybe.

Fred Agnir
02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> It seems to me that this choice now makes a case for some other WPBA players to be considered for the HOF as well <hr /></blockquote>
I guess timing is everything, Chris. Ewa was in the spotlight both as a player and as a spokesperson right at the time post-COM to help keep our snowball moving. Without that timing, IMO, she had no chance at getting in.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I do feel bad for Alan Hopkins. <hr /></blockquote>Me too. He's long overdue. If there were a combo category (meritorious service and player), he'd be at the top of the list.

Fred

Popcorn
02-10-2004, 07:50 PM
There are so many players that should be on that list, it is not worth talking about it. It is a joke.

Barbara
02-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey Chris!

Okay, maybe I'm a bit partial, but it's only because I've been on his staff for 6 years now at the Expo.

Allen Hopkins should be inducted for either of two categories, but really only one. He's a player. He's a champion and still a player.

And if anyone's ever thought about throwing a gig for 10,000 pool-playing people, the Expo's the place to be. It's been going on for over 10 years and there's nothing close to it going now. I can remember going to my first Vegas BCA Nats and only seeing a few vendors. And this was for 5000 pool players being there to play.

Nope, there's nothing like it and Allen deserves to be in the HOF.

Dawn Hopkins deserves some kudos, too. There's no one like her to help pull off this party stuff.

Barbara

Pelican
02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
I feel that, like a lot of other sports, the inductee should be retired from the game to be eligible. Then it would truely be a 'Hall of Fame'.

cueball1950
02-10-2004, 09:05 PM
OK. I have asked this in the past and have yet to get a straight answer. Is there actually a "HALL" of fame. An actual building that one can visit and see exhibits of all the players. or is this just a paper hall of fame so to speak. Please do not get me wrong or take this the wrong way, i am not trying to show any disrespect to any one or any organization. i was and am just curious where the hall of fame is........................................mike

Ralph S.
02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Great question Mike. I have often wondered that myself. I personally think that the only thing that made Ewa's election to the HOF was strictly her marketability and sex appeal/popularity. I know that this statement may come across as sexist, although it is not intended to be. I, like many others, feel that the numbers just aren't quite there to support it.

Hopkins should, and will get in. He has the stats to back him up, as does Strickland. Thier time will come.

RailbirdJAM
02-11-2004, 04:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>I, like many others, feel that the numbers just aren't quite there to support it...Hopkins should, and will get in. He has the stats to back him up, as does Strickland. Thier time will come.<hr /></blockquote>

Ewa is very deserving to be in the HOF (IMO). She's a classy lady, and she not only walks the walk, but she is an excellent representative for pool in general. Great sparkling personality and beautiful inside and out.

Having said that, Allen Hopkins holds titles too numerous to post here, has contributed to the sport immeasurably, as we all know. AND he's still a formidable opponent on any field of green.

I saw him recently at the Glass City Open competing in the tournament. You could see how much fun he was having, and I watched a couple of his matches. He's still got it, even though these days he is promoting tournaments more than participating in them. He looked like a kid in a candy store after every win. I can't remember how he placed at Glass City, but I'm pretty sure he got in the money. Imagine if he played every day and started shooting seriously again!

I applaud the BCA for allowing the public to submit their votes to the Hall of Fame at the end of last year. Did the people's votes amount to anything last year? The votes that count come from the industry, and the voting members of the Hall of Fame committee consists mainly of pool media executives.

Ronnie Allen and folks like him will NEVER get recognition from this BCA as it currently exists. Earl's time will come. Johnny Archer is on the rise, and let's not forget Allison Fisher who was voted by the readership of Billiards Digest overwhelmingly over Ewa in their recent poll. I don't think it matters what the public thinks. It's politics as usual.

RailbirdJAM

RailbirdJAM
02-11-2004, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>For so long Jean Balukus was the only female HOF member - which seemed to be an awfully high measuring stick to compare any other female player to in terms of HOF consideration.<hr /></blockquote>

Dorothy Wise was the first female voted into the BCA Hall of Fame, before Jean Balukas, according to the website:

"Dorothy Wise as born in Spokane, Washington. In her early years, there were very few national tournaments for women. Since she was in many local and state tournaments, she became the self-proclaimed world champion. When BCA staged the first national tournament for women in 1967, she immediately entered. For the next five years, she proved herself most worthy as she won five consecutive U.S. Open titles."

RailbirdJAM

Fred Agnir
02-11-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> I feel that, like a lot of other sports, the inductee should be retired from the game to be eligible. Then it would truely be a 'Hall of Fame'. <hr /></blockquote>The one exception (other than pool) is the LPGA, which might have the most legitimate selection process. The player has to win X amount of tournaments and Y amount of majors (dependant on X).

Fred

P.S. After looking again, the criteria has changed slightly. But, in the end, it's still remains a selection on concrete merit

Wally_in_Cincy
02-11-2004, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> OK. I have asked this in the past and have yet to get a straight answer. Is there actually a "HALL" of fame. An actual building that one can visit and see exhibits of all the players...<hr /></blockquote>

I don't think there is. I remember reading in BD or P&amp;B a couple years ago a design idea (maybe Shamos wrote it-not sure). The concept was a museum which included some tables and a tv studio for taping matches or instructional tapes.

Wishful thinking. Nobody's going to cough up the dough for a HOF. The attendance would be miniscule so there would be annual operating expenses in addition to the initial cost.

Oh well

#### leonard
02-11-2004, 08:41 AM
The Hall of Fame is in a closet at the BCA. I can understand putting Ewa in the Hall but denying Alan Hopkins 40 years in Pool. I have to stop typing before my brain gets me thrown off the CCB.####

#### leonard
02-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Fred in my day the Worlds Title was held in California it lasted 23 day. The winner received 5,000. 10,000 if the check didn't clear. Try doing the Math on that. Why would any sane person play.####

pooltchr
02-11-2004, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> The Hall of Fame is in a closet at the BCA. I can understand putting Ewa in the Hall<hr /></blockquote>

Guess I need to get to work on my nomination...
Steve~~~would love to be put into a closet with Ewa! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif